PDA

View Full Version : Off the email list

tenty
19-09-2004, 08:03 PM
This is off the email list:

All, there's been mutterings off-list (private e-mail, chat at the BBQ) that the OzTiVo Twiki is becoming a bit disorganised: too many small howtos, files in the uploads area that should be moved elsewhere.

I'd like to call for volunteers to help reorganise & refactor the Twiki to make it easier to find information and to bring it up to date. Andrew is the Twiki maintainer, so volunteers would work with Andrew to do this.

This is your chance to return the favour to all of us who have donated our time so far to the community. I can set up a mailing list, or we can use the OzTiVo Web Forum as the place to discuss changes.

AndrewJ
19-09-2004, 08:20 PM
I'll be creating a list over the next few days and will be putting it together as a sort of todo list...

This way you can grab a item and do it and then cross it out once its done.

I am open to ideas for the site?

DoctorW
19-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Here's a quick list of things we need to improve on:

We have too many little howtos, some of them are double-ups, and it's hard to find the right information.
I think we should toss Tips out, and just stick with FAQs and Howtos.
Quite a number of entries are out of date.

I also think that there are some things which are now "stable" and for which we can write a long-style document with sections etc, like the GuidedSetup30 document. Other things are still in flux. It would be nice for twiki users to be able to distinguish the "stable" stuff from the "in flux" stuff.

Warren

DavidSymons
19-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Hi all,

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling a bit reluctant to remove content that someone else has probably put some effort into. This would be one of the reasons that things are getting out of date.

To look at a specific example - the heating of a power plug over the stove:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Hintsortips/WhichWayAroundDoIWireTheTivoPlug (at the end)

It makes me shudder to think that someone would take this advice.

Perhaps the way it should work is for people to submit suggested removals to Andrew for approval. If that load gets onerous then different people could moderate different parts of the twiki.

By the way I agree with all of "DoctorW"'s ideas - he's rated as a "Forum Newbie" though - can we really trust him? ;) ;) ;)

Cheers, Dave.

petestrash
20-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Now that all the headend changes are complete.

Would it be ok to add the software download, install, and networking info from the begining of GuidedSetup30 to the new version newconf_gs.html, then retire the old version of GuidedSetup30.

Also Rename the new page GuidedSetup30, so existing links go to the new version.

Peter.

AndrewJ
20-09-2004, 07:50 PM
A cleanup of the items is needed. A lot of items are dups of each other and can be rolled into one. I've started on this one. Moving items around in the TWiki so they fall into there correct group. They are

Guidedata
Hardware
Software
Install
FAQ
Hints or Tips
Howto (misc)
Backup
IR
Video Extraction

No items will be deleted from the TWiki, I'll move all content that is merged into another document into the Reduntant area.

I'll take the docs advice onboard and look at removing the hints section and moving the content out of there. Most likely to be replaced by a HintsorTips document in the FAQ section.

Warren, can we now move the guided setup document into the twiki?? Once its correct I'll lock it down.

Really what can I say? Grab a area of the twiki and start reviewing the docuements. Tidy up the broken links, fix up the typos and if you think two docs can be joined then join them.

If you don't know how to remove or move a document, then zap send it my way.

Ta

Andrew