PDA

View Full Version : RF Output Format

waynez
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know what format a standard, unmodified series 1 tivo outputs on the RF Out.???

I know or have figured it's NTSC, and as I have a TV thats more than capable of supporting every variation of NTSC, and many other european formats, it still only shows in black and white.

Any ideas, or thread to look at.

Thanks

Wayne

thomson
05-09-2004, 09:11 PM
I know or have figured it's NTSC, and as I have a TV thats more than capable of supporting every variation of NTSC, and many other european formats, it still only shows in black and white.

There are a few things to look at... firstly, You may wish to check the TV before going much futher as a number of TV sets (and VCRs) that claim to support NTSC only support it in B&W. If you have a DVD player then you should be able to flick it into NTSC mode and play a region 1 disc to see if you can get a colour picture.

My understanding of NTSC is that a B&W signal is transmitted along with two colour signals (which are the difference between the B&W signal and the Red channel, and the difference between the B&W signal and the Blue channel). Using some maths it is possible to determine the Green channel from the information given by the other three channels. This requires a smarter colour processor component, and may be why some equipment manufacturers cheat, and only support NTSC in B&W.

Secondly, you can start having a look at the datasheets for the TV tuner that you have in your system to see if there are some settings you can use... you can also have a look at the video encoder datasheet. I think the i2c address is 0xC2 or 0xCA, and the Video Encoder is 0x8C.

Note... The palmod kernel modification that you have loaded as part of the OzTiVo image is sending many commands to the various chipsets in order to flick them into PAL mode... it could be that some of these are also effecting the colour.