PDA

View Full Version : Australian Tivo Service Ending 31/10/2017 ?

Brucep
02-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Hi all,

Did everyone with an Australian TiVo receive this email message overnight ??

Important service announcement: TiVo Service ending on 31 October 2017

After almost a decade of service, we are sad to report that we have reached the end of our TiVo license and the TiVo Service is coming to an end in Australia on 31 October 2017.

The TiVo Service is what delivers electronic programming guide data to your TiVo device each day, so without it, there will be no electronic programming guide and TiVo recording features such as Season Pass and WishList will stop working. For more information on what will and will not work after 31 October see “What does this mean for you and your TiVo after 31 October?”. Your TiVo device will have extremely limited functionality and we discourage customers from using it after 31 October.

Unfortunately your TiVo devices (listed below) are not eligible for the TiVo Swap Out Offer as they have not connected to the TiVo Service in the 6 months prior to 1 March 2017:

TiVo Service Number: 663XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

See Terms and Conditions of TiVo Swap Out Offer. https://www.mytivo.com.au/abouttivo/termsandconditions/swapout/

We are sure you will find plenty of home entertainment alternatives out there, and are contacting you now to make sure you have plenty of time to upgrade your technology by 31 October 2017 (if you haven't already) and to help make sure your transition is as smooth as possible. As your TiVo device is not active, we suspect you have already upgraded from TiVo to another platform and you can ignore this message.

Please think of the environment and dispose of your TiVo device at your local e-cycling facility.

For further information on the end of the TiVo Service and the TiVo Swap Out Offer, please visit www.mytivo.com.au

We wish you all the best and thank you for your support over the years.

The device they reference above is connected, and has been working constantly for about 6 years !!

Didn't we have lifetime service?

Cheers,

Bruce

Brucep
02-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Has anyone in Australia done the "Prom mod" to allow access to the filesystem? I wondered if it is possible to create something like a MythTV image to run on the TiVo series 3 hardware??

rhamer
02-03-2017, 09:42 AM
So the big question is, now TiVo in Australia is officially closing, can a similar service be provided by OzTivo for the series 3 units as is for the Series 1 units?

TiVo are obviously trying to get the hardware out of circulation by requiring them to be handed in to Harvey Norman when taking up their offer on the Fetch TV. I wonder if somebody else is waiting to take over the licensing and doesn't want old hardware hanging around.

Rohan

rhamer
02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Oh, and I assume Fetch TV will be a monthly subscription?

grant.mcgill
02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
will be following with interest, i have been a long term tivo user,and even had oztivo's series 1. before tivo HD arrived in AUS.
( i had to re-register for these forums becaus i cant remember my old log in)
I am interested in seeing what will become of the old devices and if they will be added to the old VCR's under my bed!

grant.mcgill
02-03-2017, 09:45 AM
NO, there is no ongoing subscription costs for Fetch Tv according to thier site,for the free services. Unless you want to take advantage of the add on products, like cable channels or Stan, netflix etc.
the only people with ongoing subscriptions are those who get cable via optus or dodo into thier fetch tv.

rhamer
02-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Well I bit the bullet and accepted the Fetch TV offer.
I wanted to avoid the 4 month wait they warned about.
Within 10 mins of completing the order, Harvey Norman rang me and told me my unit was ready to be picked up.
But I do have to hand over the TiVo.

Rohan

micknews
03-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Same problem here Brucep, told me mine was ineligible even though it has been constantly online for years! No wonder the service is finishing, they are bloody hopeless!

Mick.

Brucep
06-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Hi Mick,

On Friday night TiVo sent an update:

Hello

Service Message Correction

We are writing to you as one of a small number of TiVo customers who yesterday received an email from us which contained some incorrect information regarding your eligibility to register for the TiVo Swap Out offer.

Our email to you yesterday incorrectly said that your TiVo device was ineligible take part in the TiVo Swap Out offer because it had not connected to the TiVo Service in the past 6 months. This was incorrect (and occurred as a result of human error), and we confirm that your TiVo device is eligible to take part in the TiVo Swap Out offer.

As an active customer you would have also received a message on your TiVo device itself (on TiVo Central/ the homepage), and if you visited the website at www.mytivo.com.au you would have also been able to register correctly. As such, we confirm that it was only the email you received which was incorrect, and we apologise for any confusion caused.

The following TiVo device is eligible for the offer as stipulated:
Fetch Mighty for $130:

TiVo Service Number: 663XXXXXXXXXXXX

This is in addition to any other devices we confirmed as being eligible earlier this week.

For further information on the end of the TiVo Service and the TiVo Swap Out offer, please visit www.mytivo.com.au

Our apologies again for any confusion caused.

So that was a surprise. I have 3 active TiVo's. and 1 secondhand "spare" that I have not even used yet.....2 active units are about 8 years old, and qualify for $100 off the Fetch Mighty (makes it currently $299 each).....1 is less than 5 years old and qualifies for a Fetch Mighty for $130 total cost. After the outages TiVo have had with guide data, and the TiVo Genie not working for months......I cannot help think that these were deliberate issues to force peoples hand in not using their TiVo's with "Lifetime Subscription".
What about the network keys I purchased extra, which are now useless???.......seems a very ill conceived offer, which in effect discriminates against how long you have had the TiVo.

Brucep
15-03-2017, 09:07 AM
For anyone interested, there is a thread going on Whirlpool: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2613609

Darren King
22-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Hi all

Some great progress has been made, and at long last I present the first public release of the PROM mod how-to:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5lxlJLWDNmWWVFmbzhoYTItYk0

Lurker
22-08-2017, 06:57 PM
....where is the Like button? ..... :)

Islander
23-08-2017, 03:08 PM
592**********