PDA

View Full Version : Advice on TiVo 320 units

healeydave
13-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi Guy's,

Its been a while :)

I'm looking to get a couple of the current TiVo 320 units sent over to the UK.

I presume this is still the latest and only model currently shipped by TiVo in the Australasia region?

Can anyone confirm and give me some advice on the likely costs for these units?
Preferably looking for working second hand units to keep them as cheap as possible, the only research I've done so far is to check the last units on eBay which seemed to be in the region of $240.

An idea of international shipping rates would be be a bonus too :)

Thanks in advance!

petestrash
15-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Dave,

All the TiVo's sold here are the same basic model, but just with different sized HDD's (160,320,1000Gb).

Apart from local Sale avenues (Newspaper, gumtree etc) Ebay is really the only option for getting something delivered.

I think you will find most working TiVo's still get over $300, below that is rare (I think only 1 sold below that in the last few months).

You biggest issue is shipping, most people are not willing to ship TiVo even within Australia.

I'm away from home, but from memory the shipped weight of a new TiVo was over 6KG.

Shipping a parcel that heavy from Oz to the UK is a real killer, a quick check of postage rates shows $172 for Airmail and $81 for Seamail ($304/$140 for 2 together), + Insurance.

I'd be happy to accept TiVo's shipped to me and then on shipped to you, if you can't find someone willing to ship direct to the UK.

I think you'd actually be better of buying from New Zealand, as they had some sales recently that were much cheaper than what they were selling here.

http://trademe.co.nz is the ebay equivilent in NZ.

Pete.

healeydave
15-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks Pete, that's awesome info.

Do your shipping services really double the costs for a heavier parcel?
Our shipping services charge based on weight or size of parcel, but the bulk of the cost is in the initial shipping fee. So if I send two items separately, they are charged individually, but if I package everything into one box, the cost is higher, but not usually double or equivalent to sending the item separately.

I emailed 3 people so far that have S3's for sale, one has replied quoting me:

sea mail $70 around 5 to 6 weeks ETA
air mail $140 5 to 6 day's ETA

I'm encouraged by the prices, because he seems to be in the right ball park and the fact that he's quoted is a good sign because I guess he's happy to ship, I guess his rates might be lower if he sends a lot stuff, a bit like me having an account with parcel force in the UK.

healeydave
15-06-2012, 05:41 PM
P.S.
I see what you mean about trademe in NZ, this looks great:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/tvs/terrestrial-receivers/auction-483375366.htm

I realise it still has 22 hours to go. Unfortunately, I can't create an account to bid being in the UK :(

petestrash
15-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Do your shipping services really double the costs for a heavier parcel?
Our shipping services charge based on weight or size of parcel, but the bulk of the cost is in the initial shipping fee. So if I send two items separately, they are charged individually, but if I package everything into one box, the cost is higher, but not usually double or equivalent to sending the item separately.

Not quite, as you can see by the prices I quoted for a parcel just over 6KG.

$172 for Airmail and $81 for Seamail for one.
$304 Air or $140 Sea for 2 together.

Like I said I'm not at home, and only based the cost on my memory that a TiVo HD in it's original packaging weighed just over 6kg.

Australia post also charges by both weight and size.

You can calculate approximate rates online @ www.auspost.com.au (http://www.auspost.com.au)

Pete.