PDA

View Full Version : Connect TIVO to Sony Bravia TV Problem Any ideas??

Bille
27-08-2011, 10:46 PM
I've got a TIVO and a Sony Bravia 52 TV been operating ok together for months without problems.

Tuesday: ABC and 7 had picture but no sound all others are OK.

Occasional loud static/popping noise from TV speakers.

Turned everything off, TIVO/TV and Wi-Fi.....switched everything back on and everything was back to normal.

Wednesday Everything was normal.

Thursday: Same problem no sound on ABC, 7 was OK but no sound on 10, this time nothing I did would sort it out.

Same occaisional static/popping sound from TV speakers.

Decided to check everything, disconnected all cables and starting again.

Connected antennae cable to TV and it worked fine on ABC, 7, 9, 10, SBS, so that appears to rule out the TV

Now correct me.......If I look at the connection procedure in the TIVO guide;

Connect the antennae to the TIVO and connect a HDMI cable from TIVO to the TV and everything should work....Because sound and video uses the HDMI cable so no other connections required (We don't have a Theatre/sound system), but doesn't work.

I have also tried connecting without the HDMI cable using the individual cables as per the instructions/diagrams in the documentation that came with the TIVO but still doesn't work..

Of course we have the USB wireless network adaptor plugged in and wireless signal is making it to a Laptop in the same room so I assume the adaptor is working.

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any advice....this is doing my head in.

petestrash
29-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Ok, I guess we should first work out whether the fault is being caused by reception issues on the TiVo or if it is a HDMI issue.

When you say "I have also tried connecting without the HDMI cable using the individual cables as per the instructions/diagrams in the documentation that came with the TIVO but still doesn't work.." does that mean that you tried connecting the TV with ONLY the included Composite cable (3 RCA connectors) to the TiVo and you experienced exactly the same issues where 9 was ok and seven/ABC not so good?

Peter.

Bille
29-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Ok, I guess we should first work out whether the fault is being caused by reception issues on the TiVo or if it is a HDMI issue.

When you say "I have also tried connecting without the HDMI cable using the individual cables as per the instructions/diagrams in the documentation that came with the TIVO but still doesn't work.." does that mean that you tried connecting the TV with ONLY the included Composite cable (3 RCA connectors) to the TiVo and you experienced exactly the same issues where 9 was ok and seven/ABC not so good?

Peter.

I initially used only the HDMI cable that I purchased separately and with which it had been working fine since November/December 2010 until last week when it started to ply up.

The TIVO came with a large folded sheet with "START HERE>>" that has SDOC-00109-501 REV A1 in the top right hand corner of what I perceive as the cover which has colour diagrams of the connections I used, there are five (5) RCA cables used in the diagram and that's how I also connected it after considering that the HDMI cable may have become defective, the HDMI cable was disconnected when I used the RCA connections - I didn't use both types of connection at the same time.

Bill

petestrash
30-08-2011, 11:00 AM
ok, so you connected it via Component. Did you experience exactly the same issues as you had with HDMI where 9 was ok and seven/ABC not so good?

Peter.

Bille
30-08-2011, 11:37 AM
ok, so you connected it via Component. Did you experience exactly the same issues as you had with HDMI where 9 was ok and seven/ABC not so good?

Peter.

Peter, Thanks for coming back to me.

Sorry in my OP I left out a step in the procedure I used.

On the Thursday night prior to disconnecting everything and starting again I tried to persist with the HDMI figuring this was the most reliable and best way to connect, but the TIVO remote, while the light registered on the front panel of the TIVO channels weren't changing on the TV and there was just heavy snow on the screen.

It was at this stage I disconnected everything and reconnected the HDMI but it made no difference, I then disconnected the HDMI cable and connected TIVO & TV with the component cables as a last resort to see if the HDMI cable might have gone faulty, result was the same just heavy snow on the screen and the TIVO remote activated the light on the front of the TIVO but wouldn't change any channels on the TV.

Seems like the remote communicates to the TIVO but the TIVO doesn't communicate with the TV.

Bill

petestrash
30-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Ok things have gone from bad to worse...

Lets start with the basics. TiVo is basically just a computer, so occasionally it might get a bit confused or lockup. Since it is not responding to the remote now, it would be worth restarting the TiVo.

Pull the power out, wait a minute and then put the power back. Give it at least 10 minutes before you try anything with the remote.

Peter.

Bille
30-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok things have gone from bad to worse...

Lets start with the basics. TiVo is basically just a computer, so occasionally it might get a bit confused or lockup. Since it is not responding to the remote now, it would be worth restarting the TiVo.

Pull the power out, wait a minute and then put the power back. Give it at least 10 minutes before you try anything with the remote.

Peter.

Hi Peter

Coincidently I was going to give it one more try and disconnected everything turned the TIVO off, then had to go out for 5 or 6 hours to see a couple of customers, this evening I plugged it all back in and it's working again only thing changed is the HDMI connection on it's own wouldn't transmit sound so I had to use the RCA connections to get sound.....I'm not sure if the HDMI cable has gone faulty or if it's a problem with the TV or the TIVO.

I don't really want to buy another HDMI cable so I'll try and borrow one to test it when I can.

I really appreciate your interest and suggestions.......Might be back if it all goes belly up on me:-)

Bill