PDA

View Full Version : S1 Tivo resurrection after 3+ years in storage

johnhedge
04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi List,

I've just returned from 3+ years o/s and I've finally got my S1 Tivo out of storage, plugged in and turned on but it wont/cannot update/download any program data.

I updated to the latest version 1.6.2-20061109 before I left.

Running the update I get an error probably due to the wrong ip address;

update_oztivo -y
File system is now READ/WRITE.
Fetching new files from the oztivo Emulator, details shown below:
rsync -rvltpD 131.244.9.101::oztivo_1.6 . --exclude-from=/etc/update_exclude

Welcome to the rsync server for the Unix Archive. If you are only interested
in browsing the Unix Archive, then please see the list of mirrors at
http://www.tuhs.org/archive_sites.html

@ERROR: Unknown module 'oztivo_1.6'
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at /usr/src/tivo/rsync-2.6.7/main.c(1296) [receiver]
File system is now READ ONLY.

However it may be due to the file in the root dir being named upgrade_oztivo

I've changed the server from minnie to oztivo and I've tried to force the daily call without success. Reading some of the posts my ISP TPG seems to be mentioned re its proxy but I never used to have this problem before.

ps ax | grep emuProxy*
173 ? S 0:00 /hack/bin/emuProxyZA -s www.oztivo.net -p 80
249 p0 SW 0:00 grep emuProxy*

but emuProxyZA.conf ip address is # out

I can ping 65.49.60.197 from the Tivo.

Any help, guidance or ideas will be much appreciated.

TIA

John

petestrash
05-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Take a look at this (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Network/MoveFromMinnieToOzTivoNet), to see if it helps you.

Peter.

johnhedge
05-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks Pete but that's where I got the info to do what I've tried so far.

Darren thinks I'm going to have to start afresh :-(

J

petestrash
05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
That might be easiest if you have a combination of issues.

If it is only the TPG proxy stopping you, edit /etc/oztivo.conf under emulator port change from 80 to 9090.

Peter.

petestrash
05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
That might be easiest if you have a combination of issues.

If it is only the TPG proxy stopping you, edit /etc/oztivo.conf under emulator port change from 80 to 9090.

Peter.

johnhedge
05-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Does that mean removing the drive and finding some way of connecting it to a laptop?

petestrash
05-05-2011, 08:44 PM
For the TPG issue or starting from scratch?

Scratch yes; you will need to use a PC (hard from a laptop)

For TPG look at this (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Network/BypassTransparentProxyServer) page and scroll down to "1. The easiest and generally best method"

Peter.

johnhedge
16-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I sourced an old Dell.

I am now an expert at changing the HD (Seagate 250gig 7000.10) from Tivo to Dell many times as I'm not getting the image (1.6.2_20080604) to boot it seems as all I get is the welcome screen and the polite request to "wait a moment"......

Thoughts, suggestions and advice welcome.

TIA

John

petestrash
16-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Dell PC's are a pain for some some linux Distros (including ours). Some of the drivers they use are not generic and will not install automatically.

I am travelling away from home fo a while, so can't really help.

Perhaps someone close to you might be able to help out or arrange to image the drive for you.

I think Darren King (http://forums.oztivo.net/member.php?82-Darren-King) used to do this for a small fee, but not sure if he still does.

Peter.

johnhedge
17-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the explanation. Seems I've hit the wall.

I live in Turramurra 2074. If there's a member close by with the capability of putting the image onto my HD, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

J

Darren King
17-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I think Darren King (http://forums.oztivo.net/member.php?82-Darren-King) used to do this for a small fee, but not sure if he still does.

That would be a blast from the past! Have not imaged a Series 1 hard disk for years now.

But the good news is that the PC I use today to repair Series 3 TiVo's is the same one I used for Series 1 (it's an old HP Pavillion mini) that also gets used for a myriad of other servicing tasks.

As for the fee that was usually just the person to cover shipping both ways. It was usually just buy two post-pack satchels, put a self addressed one in with the hard disk and put all that in the other and send it. About the only other thing I'll need to do is dust off an old Series 1 to verify it boots to the beginning of Guided Setup.

So yes if John wants to do this I'm up for it :)

johnhedge
18-05-2011, 06:49 AM
That's a very kind offer, Darren. What address should I send it to, please?

Thanks,

John

ominous2003
20-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi John,
if you are still in a bind I can help out. I'm located at North Ryde which isn't to far away from you.

PM me your contact details if you want me to assist.

Regards,
Tom

johnhedge
31-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi Tom,

I apologise, I wasn't aware of your kind offer until now. I've been in correspondence with Darren. I picked up the HD this morning which he'd fixed for me. I wont go into everything he did but 'going the extra mile' covers it.

Thanks again for your offer.

John