PDA

View Full Version : connecting 2 tv's

firezone1au
22-04-2011, 01:43 PM
g'day all,
recently purchased a tivo series 3.
currently its residing in the lounge room, connected by a hdmi cable.
what I want to do is connect it to another tv in the main bedroom by hdmi again.
if I use some kind of hdmi splitter, y connection or similar at the back of the tivo,
will I suffer any picture quality loss? if so, should I use componet cables instead or will
the other connections disable once a hdmi cable is plugged in first?

Skolink
23-04-2011, 05:12 PM
An (active) HDMI splitter will work, but a Y-cable is unlikely to esp given you want to run it all the way to the bedroom. Being a digital signal, HDMI will work or not at all, you will not suffer picture quality loss. That said, if it is on the edge you will see picture breakup, but that will be quite obvious.
How do you plan to get the IR remote signal from your bedroom to the TiVo? You could get an 'IR extender'.

firezone1au
24-04-2011, 06:08 AM
An (active)How do you plan to get the IR remote signal from your bedroom to the TiVo? You could get an 'IR extender'.

thanks for the info.
will use one of those devices where you put a sleeve in the remote which changes the remote from an IR to RF signal with the receiver @ the tivo.

NOW i am wondering about audio in the loungeroom. the tv will get its audio from the tivo via the hdmi,
which I will use for general viewing, but if I am watching a movie I want to turn the tv down & turn on the home theatre.
I want to connect the red & white audio sockets on the tivo to the home theatre. (older style panasonic amp unfortunately, no composite/optical/s-video)

Q1? do the audio sockets have output when a hdmi cable is plugged in first or does that disconnect that output?
quite possibly a stupid question!

Q2? to improve sound? I guess using adaptors or whatever I cant use any other tivo optical/s-video/composite audio outputs to red/white amp input?????

Darren King
24-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Q1: No it does not disconnect the other outputs. All outputs are active simultaneously

Q2: I don't understand the question, sorry.

firezone1au
24-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Q1: No it does not disconnect the other outputs. All outputs are active simultaneously

Q2: I don't understand the question, sorry.

thanks darren for the answer to the disconnect question.

to clarify Q2;

my old home theatre only has the old red & white AV audio inputs,
so I will have to use the tivo AV output ( for sound only, video is by tivo>tv hdmi)
usually you would of course use red & white plugged cables.

if they fit, would using componet cables instead of AV cables between the tivo/theatre AV sockets make much difference to sound quality??

petestrash
24-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Component is Video only. To get sound you still need to use either the RCA's or Optical sound outputs.

Not sure how an active HDMI splitter works with HDCP content, but just a word of warning the TiVo is HDCP enabled and occasionally program material is locked. I have only seen this on downloaded movies, but it could possibly be enabled for some FTA content in the future.

Also when HDCP is enabled and you are using HDMI, the Component outputs are turned off. The composite outputs are always on though.

Peter.