PDA

View Full Version : tivo hd fails to record audio on occasion

85turbo
05-09-2010, 09:07 PM
on top of my other recent issue with the tivo, now it seems to be failing to always record audio.

it has (on more then one occasion) failed to record any audio.
2 or three times now, it has recorded the correct show, but with no audio.

it's happened to different channels. both SD and HD.

im beginning to regret my purchase of this thing.

my old Topfield never had half of these issues.....

any ideas ?

Jason.

Charlie Crackle
06-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I have used to have this issue too. a reboot fixeds it for me.
I have two tivos and it only effects the one with the external HDD. do you have a external HDD ?

Charles

85turbo
06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
didnt have an external hdd until a few days ago, but this audio issue has been happening for some time before that too.

i bought the external hdd just this last week.

Jason

darryl
06-09-2010, 08:08 AM
We have had this problem intermittently as well - the most recent being last night. The problem is that it seems to fix itself when you change the channel. I don't know if it is one of the tuners that is starting to flake out or what. It wasn't the television signal, because the other tuner had kicked in to record the next program and it had audio.

No external HDD

Darryl.

85turbo
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
i have just realised that it seems to happen only when one tuner is busy recording, and the 2nd tuner kicks in to record.
it doesn't do it all the time either. the most recent occurrence was last night. trying to record talkin' bout your generation.

perfect video, just zero audio.

Jason.

darryl
07-09-2010, 08:00 AM
i have just realised that it seems to happen only when one tuner is busy recording, and the 2nd tuner kicks in to record.
it doesn't do it all the time either. the most recent occurrence was last night. trying to record talkin' bout your generation.

perfect video, just zero audio.

Jason.

Exactly the same show that happened to us on Sunday. The other tuner kicked in to record Offspring. Sound was fine on it but the sound cut out on the end of talkin' bout your generation. It also occurred for Married Single Other later that night and then Good News Week had the problem last night. Is there a problem with how TiVo treats the decoding from Ten?

Darryl.

85turbo
07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
mine recorded good news week fine. no issues there.

im trying to remember if has only been shows on ten, but i don't think so.

Jason

Olorin Firesky
07-09-2010, 07:53 PM
I've also been experiencing this issue. Out of curiosity...how old are your TiVos? Ours is over 2 years old now but because I bought the extended warranty from Harvey Norman when I purchased it, I'm sending it back for repair/replacement. It has also been turning itself off indescriminately which is very frustrating in the middle of a recording.

85turbo
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
mines about 10 months old now.

built in obsolescence i say...

it will die one day past he 12 month warranty period. (no extended warranty here)

Olorin Firesky
08-09-2010, 07:01 AM
In that case, I would suggest sending it back to TiVo for repair. Inconvenient, I know, but I'd do it before your warranty expires. Preferably, if you can, make sure you have an example of a show with audio issues on it.

darryl
08-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Out of curiosity...how old are your TiVos?

Ours is just over 18 months old

Darryl.

Olorin Firesky
08-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Did you purchase the extended warranty through Harvey's? If so, I'd be sending it back. You'll have to pay for postage but they'll pay for posting it back. It'll cost you about $35 for postage, but that includes covering it for loss or damage and getting a confirmation of delivery. The likeliness is they'll send you back a brand new unit, in which case, make sure you've watched everything you have on it before sending it.

85turbo
08-09-2010, 10:00 PM
nope, no extended warranty here.

i got mine direct from the tivo website, on one of their instalment plans.

85turbo
09-09-2010, 12:21 AM
i have just noticed that one tuner is dead.
that's why i have been having recording issues.

if i try to watch free to air tv, then switch tuners through the remote, one of them is all screwed up, bad audio,
unwatchable green and pink artifacts all over the screen too. it's like white noise, but it's pink and green crap.

ill ring them tomorrow and organise for a replacement unit.

not happy.

spent over $700 on this POS. lasted less than 1 year.

depending upon how they handle this, ill not be buying another TIVO product. ever.

now i wont be able to record any tv for god knows how long, and that really pisses me off, as i work nights so cant watch anything when it airs.

ill keep this updated with my results.

Jason.

85turbo
09-09-2010, 08:15 AM
just got off the phone with support.

not very helpful. they say it's a reception issue.

i don't see how this is possible, as it only effects one tuner, and it's only recently started to happen,
after almost 1 year, doesn't effect the TV reception either.

i call BS.

i have to do some kind of diagnostic report now before they will look at it further.

Jason.