PDA

View Full Version : Recording Sky Digital Channels Simultaneously

meneermoot
08-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Before embarking on the great Tivo Adventure, I was wondering if it is possible for Tivo to record multiple sky channels at the same time e.g. Coro Street and rugby match are running at 19:35. Is it possible to record both programs?

Cheers
Mark

brucer
09-08-2004, 05:47 AM
no, you can't record two programs at once but, unlike a VCR, you can record one program while watching another previously recorded program. The newer DirecTivo units currently in use in the states can do this as they have two digital receivers but afaik noone has tried hacking one of these for use with Sky here.

SeanOffShotgun
09-08-2004, 12:16 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious... even if the Series 1 TiVo could do it you'd still need 2 Sky decoders.

Buy a TiVo anyway... I've had a friends for 10 days (so far) while he's been on holiday... it took me 2 days to convince the wife we needed one. It arrived this morning, so I'll be having a loooooooong night tonight. :)

ehintz
10-08-2004, 05:53 AM
As others mention, you'd need 2 sky decoder boxes. Beyond that, you'd either need 2 tivos, or a DirecTivo, which as of yet is an unknown for NZ conditions. I have mine on the way over and intend to futz with it upon arrival, but who knows if it will ever work... So far we're pretty confident that it *could* work in theory, so that's a good sign at least...

brucer
10-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi Ed, please keep us informed on your progress with the directivo, for me the very best thing about the directivo is that it is direct digital recording so the picture quality (and presumably sound) is not degraded as it is with our Tivos..

ehintz
10-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Will do... Personally, I found the dual tuner to be the best sell point for it; that functionality has been sorely missed since we moved here. I run my SA on best quality and don't have a prob with the picture... Anyway, the thing shipped out of Oregon on Saturday, so it should be here in the next 2 weeks or so. I've got few movies I want to get off it before I start hacking on it, so don't expect a solution in the immediate future... :D

brucer
10-08-2004, 02:00 PM
I run my SA on best quality and don't have a prob with the picture

I don't have a problem as such, it's just that the quality from the TIVO is not as good as "raw" sky.. very noticeably so on a good TV.. it's a price I'm prepared to pay for all the good stuff though.