PDA

View Full Version : Cachecard inital setup

mark_keane
07-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi all,

I got my US Tivo with cachecard via eksys, WD200Gb drive via umart and .iso via minnie. I put the lot together and got a working Tivo up until the point of needing the first connection - no connection.

Therefore a networking problem. Ok, I don't have a turbonet card so need to change to cachecard. Looking at minnie I found the: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howtonetwork/ChangeYourNetworkCard
but that doesn't seem to work. ie my drive doesn't have the /etc/rc.d/rc.net nor /etc/rc.d/rc.net._netcard_ and bootpage only gives root=/dev/hdb4 with no mention of netcard=

Help. How do I setup cachecard?

Mark

DavidSymons
07-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi Mark,

My method (I've re-imaged a few times) is to load the latest drivers from SiliconDust via ZModem using a serial cable which is always handy to have around but if you don't have one:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/AlternativeSerialCable

The drivers and installation instructions are here:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

A couple of hints/tips:

- "rz" puts the TiVo shell into zmodem receive mode.

- You can actually transfer the zipped file (it's smaller hence quicker) and use "gzip -d" on the TiVo to unzip it.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Dave.

mark_keane
11-08-2004, 07:38 PM
I don't have a serial cable as yet so I tried the "CacheCARD - PC installation Instructions" per Silicondust but due to lack of floppy drive copied the drivers from the CD onto /tmp and then:
chmod +x nic_install
./nic_install cachecard

this started working but returned an error like 'Device /dev/hdc does not appear to be a TiVo drive'

However when I put the drive into the TiVo it works up until the Setup Call, which fails presumably due to no connection (confirmed by no Link light and no router assigned IP)

Where am I going wrong?

Mark

BTW There is a file in the /bin call BlessTivo - what is this?

curto
12-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Mark,

To see if your Cachecard drivers are working - can you telnet into the TIVO - do you have DHCP server setup on your network.

1 Step at a time

Also please elaborate on your setup

i.e. PC OS, method of connecting tivo to internet, Network environment etc

Craig

curto
12-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Mark,

To see if your Cachecard drivers are working - can you telnet into the TIVO - do you have DHCP server setup on your network.

1 Step at a time

Also please elaborate on your setup

i.e. PC OS, method of connecting tivo to internet, Network environment etc

Craig

mark_keane
13-08-2004, 12:07 PM
TiVo and cachecard arrive from eksys.
Buy 200Gb drive.
Download .iso from miinie and burn to CD.
Plug drive into desktop box and boot to CD.
Enter.
Enter.
mfsrestore -s127 -r4 -xzpi /cdrom/hdr112.30.oztivo_emulator.release1.xxx /dev/hdc
Wait until restore process completes.
Install drive and cachecard into TiVo.
Connect cachecard to DHCP enabled router.
Power on TiVo.
Work through GS until Setup Connection then connection fails.
Drive back into desktop.
Boot to CD. Enter.Enter.
cp network card files to /tmp
chmod +x nic_install
./nic_install cachecard
Get error message of no tivo drive found.

I am now waiting for a serial cable to try and install the cachecard drivers with drive in the TiVo to see if that works.

But if anyone can give me any hints as to how to install the drivers using the PC method (ie without a serial cable), please share...

Mark

DavidSymons
13-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi Mark,

Something to try (not sure if it will work as I have never installed CacheCard drivers this way).

Put the disk back into your PC and boot off the CD again only this time at the "boot:" prompt type

vmlnodma hdb=bswap hdc=bswap hdd=bswapThis tells the kernel to mount partitions on the disk in byteswapped mode which is required in order for the linux partitions to be recognised.

Then try your procedure again starting at "cp network card files to /tmp".

Cheers, Dave.

mark_keane
14-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Many thanks David.

One working TiVo currently processing the TV guide.

Thanks again.

Mark

DavidSymons
14-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Mark,

Great! My good deed for the day :).

BTW "BlessTivo" is used when adding a second drive to the TiVo.

Cheers, Dave.