PDA

View Full Version : Article: Kiwi viewers shun TiVo

Skolink
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10630444&ref=rss
Most people I have talked to either don't know what TiVo is, or if they do, would not consider spending $900 on it.

CheshireCat
22-03-2010, 07:35 AM
I think they made a mistake giving Telecom the exclusive rights - people dont associate TV with Telecom (so people in the shops are looking for phones, not TV, hence no impulse buys). They should be in Dick Smiths and the other large shops selling TVs. Also, the FUD coming from Telecom stating you MUST have Telecom broadband (which in fact only the premium content requires this) is going to put people off as well. In fact, why restrict premium content to Telecom? Other ISPs would zero-rate if necessary (EG Orcon zero-rate traffic to TVNZ on demand servers). Finally there is not much to watch on TV here, Sky are sabotaging it by witholding the Prime EPG, and people who watch TV a lot will tend to already have SKy and it doesnt work with Sky.

I love Tivos but their marketing sucks.

CheshireCat
02-07-2010, 07:32 AM
... and yesterday they finally announced that they will no longer be restricting premium content to Telecom subscribers. Its a start.

petestrash
03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
You should be seeing TiVo more widely available in the near future as the exclusive contract with Telecom finishes this month.

Peter.