PDA

View Full Version : tivo just died

j30max
27-02-2010, 08:43 PM
hi, my tivo has died on me. we had a power outage and when the power came back on, the tivo just did not turn back on, there are no lights on the box. my tv and surround are connected to same SURGE PROTECTED power board and there is nothing wrong with them. Is there a fuse that I should check or something?

cheers

petestrash
28-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Is the TiVo still under warranty?

Peter.

j30max
28-02-2010, 10:40 AM
yes mate, i just booked a replacement request via their support line. I have to say their customer service is very good so far, they answered within 1min wait time and the rep was very helpful in getting it all sorted for me.

j30max
01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
hmmm, 24 hours is up and no one from tivo has contacted me yet....

maybe i spoke too soon.

j30max
09-03-2010, 07:05 PM
got my exchange Tivo in the post yesterday. All up and running, just waiting for it tp be activated so i can use HNP and CPSA on demand movies.

all up, 7 days from issue to resolution.

Cheers.

smacky
30-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Is the TiVo still under warranty?

Peter.

I have the same problem with my TiVO, but am unfortunately out of warranty. Do you know of anyone who does TiVo repairs out of warranty? Or anyone who sells replacement parts?
Im an 90% certain it is the power supply / fuse (no voltage across the fuse using a multimeter)
Thanks in advance

petestrash
30-03-2010, 05:45 PM
If a fuse is good, then there will be no voltage across it as it is basically a short circuit. If you see 240V across a fuse that means the fuse has blown.

Have you tried contacting Hybrid? I don't know if they have setup service centres for out of warranty repairs.

Where are you located?

We have a few members in some states who can perform repairs, alternatively if it is just a power supply fault most competent TV/Video repairers should be able to repair it.

Peter.

smacky
30-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah definitely the fuse, I checked it with a multimeter, out of limits Ω reading indicating no continuity. Of course it could be something else in addition to the fuse
Who are Hybrid? I've contacted TiVo and they say the authorised repairer is AWA but no doubt its gonna cost a heap with them (Im in Sydney btw)

petestrash
31-03-2010, 12:10 AM
When you said:

(no voltage across the fuse using a multimeter)

Did you mean no continuity? No voltage across a live fuse means the fuse has not blown.

Hybrid are the Licensee's of TiVo in Australia, so when you contacted support you spoke with a firm that is contracted by Hybrid to support TiVo.

Sorry Don't know of any members in Sydney who can do repairs, you might want add your location to your profile here. It makes it easier to provide help if you have any location specific issues in the future.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Peter.

smacky
31-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Yep I meant no continuity =)
I'll take a look around local repairers and see what they can do for me

j30max
31-03-2010, 10:03 PM
your local electronics repair store should be able to diagnose on the spot.

Darren King
02-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Have you tried contacting Hybrid? I don't know if they have setup service centres for out of warranty repairs.

Or people can always ask me. Website has had an update recently ;)

From what I have heard from *many* (I kid you not) people asking via email for my assistance that TiVo/Hybrid have contracted AWA in Sydney to do repairs but repair costs are not what you may call "affordable".

Darren King
02-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Im an 90% certain it is the power supply / fuse

Usually the fuse blows as a protection measure for another problem in the power supply. Therefore simply replacing the fuse will most likely mean it will instantly blow again.

If you have no luck with anyone local then feel free to contact me. You can just send the power supply if you are confident at removing it from the TiVo.