PDA

View Full Version : is 1.2tb the limit on upgrading drive?

JustinD
08-01-2010, 09:19 AM
looking to upgrade to the tivoHD and my searches came up with the 1.2tb limit - is that still applicable?

Now that drives are so cheap, it makes little difference to upgrade to the WD green 1.5tb drive @ $140 vs $110 for 1tb.
Is there anything I am missing here? I guess, at least I will get another 200gb of storage for my $30 difference.

Darren King
08-01-2010, 10:09 AM
It is the limit unless you want to start looking installing software patches, which of course requires the need to get the prom swapped on the motherboard.

JustinD
08-01-2010, 10:19 AM
thanks for the clarification. I guess I will get the 1.5tb drive.

petestrash
09-01-2010, 03:25 AM
I don't believe anyone makes a 1.5Tb AV rated drive though.

Standard drives do work, but I have seen stutter on some peoples upgrades.

Peter.

JustinD
12-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't believe anyone makes a 1.5Tb AV rated drive though.

Standard drives do work, but I have seen stutter on some peoples upgrades.

Peter.

thanks for that Peter. I hadn't been thinking of this - so I did a bit of research and ordered the ST31000322CS drive. Apparently its the 1TB Seagate Pipeline drive thats an AV drive. Hopefully that will work out.

petestrash
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Sounds good.

Have not heard anything about them in a TiVo, which is usually a good thing.

Peter.

JustinD
12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I just went with the "tested" drive list given on:
Tivo Community forum (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784&highlight=upgrade+drive#drives)
that I used to frequent when living in the big bad land of the "free"

darryl
21-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Justin,

Just wondering if you have any feedback on the new drive you installed.

Were there any problems and in particular do you notice any increase in noise given it's rating of "7".

Thanks

Darryl.

JustinD
21-01-2010, 09:13 AM
The drive is noisy but I watch my 42 inch tv from around 3mtrs away in a large room so unless I am standing beside the tivo I cannot hear it. Standing beside it, with also my old S1 running beside it, it is noticably noisy.

So, if you watch in a smaller room, bedroom, etc and its quiet, then you probably will not want this drive. But if you watch in large back room (you know, the standard living room/kitchen/general room that probably was an extension - mine is around 60sq mts) then this drive is excellent.

Otherwise the upgrade was super easy - much easier than when I updated the S1. I had recently purchase an eSATA external HDD dock from Brando for backup purposes.
Brando External HDD Dock (http://usb.brando.com/sata-hdd-dock-station-with-card-reader-hub-usb-esata-y-1062-_p01149c057d015.html)
I had also purchased an eSATA thingy from them that enabled eSATA from my a spare SATA connection I had on the motherboard
SATA to eSATA thingy (http://usb.brando.com/sata-single-internal-to-esata-port-adapter-bracket-50cm-_p00195c046d015.html)
This meant that I just needed to drop the original drive into the dock and then this one and the update was done in about 5-10mins - Extremely painless.