PDA

View Full Version : Gray Screen on my Tivo

gbhills
29-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys,

I have had this problem occour on the the 23rd of December.

I have had my Tivo for 6 weeks ,and had not had an issue.
While not using my Tivo ( it was in standby), I noticed that green light had come on.

I switched on my TV, and noticed that the Tivo was going through the start up sequence, it completely restarted twice, then went to just a gray screen, and was then completely un-responsive to the remote.

I rang support the next day, and waited for what seamed like an hour, and it after a few questions were asked of me by the guy at support, it was explained to me that it was my antenna ( yes I was confused ), and that the TiVo buffer was full, and this is what I must do to get the buffer to empty, and to change my antenna, by removing, my splitter/amp ( at the antenna fitted by the antenna guy two years ago ) the as the signal was to much for the buffer to handle. ( WTF ) It had been working for 6 weeks with out a problem.

So I followed the advise of TiVo, except that I did not disconnect the antenna, splitter/amp as we have more that 1 TV in the house.

==============================================

Hard reset of your TiVo media device?

This is performed by removing the power cable, Network Adapter, External Hard Drive, Ariel Cable from the TiVo and leaving it disconnected for a minimum of five to six hours, which will cause the TiVo to reset the buffer when it returns to a powered-on state

When you power back again please make sure you connect only TV connection with a component cable with a wall power socket

If it's still struck on powering up screen leave it for more than 2 hours on power Up and give us a call

If your TiVo Starts and you can navigate the menus

please Plug in the Ariel Cable without any boosters or amplifiers attached

Check the Live Tv

Now please connect the Network Adapter and External Hard Drive one at a time and see if your tivo reboots or frozen at any time if so please let us know

Well the Tivo worked for 2 days, and the same thing happened again,

And Again.

So now my TiVo, is basically a brick, and I'm on hold again to support.

Well, the guy at Support has told me to cold boot it again, and he will email me on how to gather some information, if the the damn thing will start up. and email the result

Its a bit frustrating, that this is not user error, and that nothing in my house has changed, like the antenna, but the Tivo has stopped working, or continues to reboot, and I cant use the TiVo.

Has any one else had these issues. What did you do. ?

petestrash
30-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Unfortunately TiVo support is crap and I think most of what they have said is crap.

Firstly, just an FYI there is not much point in putting the TiVo into standby as all it does is turn off the LEDS and video output. The difference in power usage is negligible so unless the LEDS bother you there is no real benefit.

Can you first confirm if the grey screen is only visible on live TV (which is what a bad signal can show), or do you only get a grey screen and cannot not view the menu's or previously recorded playback.

Peter.

gbhills
30-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for your reply,

The grey screen, is actually all you can see, the Tivo goes through the boot process, then displays the menus etc, and then re-boot, again, and finally, no menus, no response from the remote, just a grey screen, and one green LED on the front panel, with the video output resolutions no longer displayed, ie 1080i etc.

Malcolm

gbhills
30-12-2009, 09:51 AM
The support guys, asked me to provide this information, when I was able to cold boot the TiVo

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Malcolm,

Please kindly note down the following values for the identified tuner:
Tuner:
Current Tuning Status:
Channel:
Frequency:
Modulation:
Connector Type:
Signal Source:
Signal Strength:
Signal Lock:
Program Lock:
Seach Complete:
MER:
Pre-Viterbi Errors:
Post-Viterbi Errors:
Packet Errors:

Once you've retrieved this information, please reply to this email with the diagnostic values completed.

Regards,

TiVo Support.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I provided this info, for the 10 minutes that the TiVo was functional. ( it re-booted, and then grey screened "AGAIN" )

Tuner: 0
Current Tuning Status:
Channel:9
Frequency:191500 khz
Modulation: COFDM
Connector Type:RF
Signal Source:Terestial
Signal Strength:94
Signal Lock:YES
Program Lock:YES
Seach Complete:YES
MER:320
Pre-Viterbi Errors: 4000 +
Post-Viterbi Errors:0
Packet Errors: 0

I must mention that TiVo support did not contact me after I sent them the info via email at around 5:30pm :mad:.

I rang them back at 9:15am the next morning, and they were unable to see or read the info in the email ( what a great system the Tivo support has)

I went through the results, and support advised that the signal strength is to high, ( it has been fine for 6 week ), and that it need to be around 70, so i need to purchase an Antenna Attenuator, which I will do form Jaycar at Thomastown today, ( they have one in stock, plus the cable )

http://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargephoto.asp?id=1341&PRODNAME=Variable%20Attenuator&IMAGE=

for $12:50, and I will see what happens.

Its frustrating , that it did work for 6 weeks , and now it doesn't ( the TiVo ):confused:, and I now have to go and buy other things to try and make it work. I wonder if TiVo will refund the money I spend at Jaycar if it doesn't fix the problem.

If its a know problem , why don't TiVo, design around the issue, Its a bummer that I have good signal strength.

I will let you know the results when I get things up and going, mind you the 5hr cold boot is a pain, as I can only try one thing per night.

Malcolm

gbhills
30-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Antenna attenuation...

Well I bought one from Jaycar, ( it had the family laughing ), I connected it up using "F" connectors, and turned it on, the signal strength was reduced on channel 9 to 82 and sbs was reduced untill the picture started to drop out.
after 15 mins the TiVo rebooted and then rebooted again and now its back with the grey screen, and wait for it, I'm on hold again to support for around 25 mins.

:mad:

Lets see whats the next solution is, and no I'm not having a Tivo good time.

Well the response from TiVo is that it look like I'm still having antenna issues, (what ever that is ), and that it will be escalated to a manager who is not on site ( surprise surprise ) and someone, sometime will get back to me, now I dont know what that is supposed to mean, but I think it means its my problem.

So in a nut shell

Worked for 6 weeks, not a problem at all.

Stops working, and re-boots, then grey screen, must by my antenna, ( nothings changed )

After 7 days, its still my problem, No working Tivo, antenna Issues, and someone will be in touch, well quite frankly I've been touched, and I'm not happy.

Where to now, I suppose I will just have to get frustrated, and hope for the best.
I really did like the TiVo when it was working, I'm just disapointed, and frustrated now that its not working, and support are trying to make it something that is configuration, and or envirinment, or the antenna.

I want this issue resolved, and after 7 days, I'm now no further advanced than the original issue, and we have a long weekend coming up and I wonder if anything at all will happen with my TiVo before the weekend, ( I think Not )

Malcolm

petestrash
30-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Your signal strength is quite high, but I think TiVo support are mistaken in their diagnosis.

If you see a gray screen on live TV this does indicate an issue with the signal. But the gray screen will also have a banner advising there is an issue with the signal, and will not stop the other functions of the TiVo working.

If you cannot access the menus then your TiVo has locked up and this should not have been caused by having a high signal level.

The TiVo will work happily without any antenna attached (obviously can't record or watch live TV).

Can you try rebooting without the antenna connected, and see if you have the same symptoms.

Peter.

gbhills
30-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Peter

I disconnected the antenna and plugged back in my Tivo , and what do you know after about 20 Minutes it re-booted, and re-booted, and then went to the grey screen.

Looking in the US TiVo forums, it sound like a suspect power supply, but I think that the support guys roles are like insurance companies, deny, deny deny, and then deny, just dont get the device for repair if at all possible.

;)

Well its 5:30, to late to organise a courier, today, so I guess that support have won, for another weekend.

I'm not sure how I go about bagging TiVo, but I have options available, I'm sure Channel 9 would be pleased to Bag Channel 7 and TiVo Australia for lack of (Genuine ) support, :)

Malcolm

petestrash
30-12-2009, 05:05 PM
TiVo have a return system in place where they send you a replacement and you return the faulty unit to them in the same packaging.

You should tell support you tested without the aerial and push for a replacement to be sent out.

If it's easier you may be able to get a direct replacement from the retailer. By law they are responsible for Warranty issues, but policies vary.

Some will suggest you use the TiVo system others will do a swap to keep customers happy.

I'm going to suggest Hybrid have a look at this thread and see what sort of support is being offered.

Peter.

gbhills
31-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Pete,

Well I pushed Tivo for a changeover / replacement unit, and I was told that my issue had been escalated to a manager, who is not on site, and it is not usual protocol to contact the manager via phone, but it would be expressed in the email, that the next step ( what ever that is ) should be taken.

Perhaps some else is going to ignore my issue.

My patience with TiVo support is wearing out, its a Public Holiday tomorrow and then the weekend, so I guess I'm screwed. this week at least.

Thanks TiVo support, or should I say "Tivo Lack of Support".

I did wait today for Tivo to contact me either via email or Mobile, as I had given my number to the support guys to try and speed things up.

I am aware its the slow week between Christmas and new year, but why run a support desk, if the result is just to take your calls, and try and resolve user errors, and no genuine support for an actual product failure ?

If noting is going to happen for two week stop jerking me around and tell me that the managers are away, we cant approve anything, ( we are not allowed to ) , and the company has taken holidays and not approved anyone to assist in the change over process.

I gather that all the TEch staff are away, also, so Tivo support over the holidays, is a total planing, and manpower resource farce.

Happy new year to every one, and I hope that you never ever have to use Tivo support for an actual issue ( hardware) with your TiVo.
I hope for me, that I will get my Tivo working sometime next week.

Cheers

Malcolm

Darren King
31-12-2009, 08:31 PM
and I hope that you never ever have to use Tivo support for an actual issue ( hardware) with your TiVo.

For after warranty issues at least TiVo owners have a choice, however I don't encourage warranty repairs be carried out by me because I'm not an official TiVo service centre so sorry I can't help.... Although I've already had a couple of people approach me with an in-warranty repair and risked voiding the warranty as they believed I would do a superior job :)

Here's hoping you get speedy service when people come back to work on Monday. Be sure to keep us up to date.

petestrash
03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I have been speaking with the CEO of hybrid about this over the weekend.

I have included some of her replies below:

I really appreciate the time you took to send me this message. I have forwarded it to two guys in my team - we worked so hard to get a new customer service supplier.

<snipped>

This is terrible - the only good thing is that the tivo does not often have problems so our customer issues are not significant - but the ones that do have a problem seem to get inconsistent responses from our support team.

I cant say anything more than thank you for telling me and that we are on the job - this is our number one priority - unfortunately it wont take seconds to fix...

Rob

gbhills
04-01-2010, 09:04 AM
HI Peter,

Thanks for passing the thread onto Hybrid over the weekend, I have just tried to call the support line this morning, and all i get is an engaged or busy signal, but I will keep trying, and I do hope that I get some response.

Cheers

Malcolm

gbhills
04-01-2010, 10:19 AM
I have finally spoken to TiVo support this morning, and the response was:-

All the managers and supervisors are in meetings and can not talk to me, we are sorry for the wait, but we hope that your problem will be seen too in the next day or so.
It in the system, and will seen to in due course.

I did ask that my call could be noted, so that it can be seen that I am pro-active in trying to get things moving

That will bring the total issue time to around 14 days...

That's what I call customer service... NOT.

Happy New Year TiVo.

Malcolm

petestrash
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Can you please PM me your TSN and mytivo user name, and I'll pass it on to Robbee.

Peter.

misha320
05-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I have all of the same problems, I have not tried support and now I don't want to. I'm tired of talking to people overseas. My TiVo is 7 days old, and I think I'll take it back to HN to have it replaced. I don't see any hints in these posts that it is the hardware, but that's what I'm going to try. I will be looking forward to seeing this problem resolved, as it is very distressing.

StuWorld
05-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I am having exactly the same issues with my three week old TiVo in NZ. I initially dealt with Telecom NZ but have now been escalated to TiVo support in Australia. I have supplied them with the same details as gbhills and now seem to be on the same merry-go-round.

Stuart.

gbhills
05-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi Misha320

Since your TiVo is only 7 days old, and if it was working and working fine, I doubt that it will be the signal strength as was suggested with my TiVo, ( mine worked for 6 or so weeks ), If I was you I would see if you can exchange it at HN, as it will be a lot quicker than Tivo Support.

I will agree that the issue is distressing, I bought the TiVo to replace a ( working ) Topfield twin tuner 250GB High Def recorder, which I have since sold on Ebay.
1) I had hoped that the Tivo would provide a better user interface.
2) Provide good support.
3) Latest Technology

The Topfied was a bit of a geeks machine, and then the TiVo screwed up and I have ended up on the support merry-go-round.

I actually have the family ask me every day, is the TiVo fixed ?

Best of luck with your exchange, let us know how you go, and if everything works OK.

Malcolm

gbhills
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi StuWorld,

I gather that your TiVo, worked OK for a few weeks ?

In the initial stages the 5 hr cold boot process was frustrating, and then after that failed, to have to do it again, and again, to recover diagnostic information, before it rebooted again was a pain and just added yet another day to make another phone call to tell them that it still doesn't work.

I have not heard from Tivo support today, but I will join the phone queue shortly, so support knows that "No my issue has not been resolved"

How is consumer Law in NZ, can you claim to Telecom thats its now unfit for purpose and wish them to replace the unit ? as it only 3 weeks old ?

Malcolm

StuWorld
05-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Malcolm,

Yes my TiVo worked fine for the first couple of weeks, then shorthly before Xmas I noticed the grey screen of death one morning. It then rebooted during the day and has since got worse. I only hooked it up again yesterday to get the information that TiVo Support requested. This morning I noticed it was back to the grey screen, so it has been unplugged again.

I am not too sure about my consumer rights, but i don't want to make too many waves with Telecom as I work for them !! Hopefully Telecom can put some pressure on TiVo Support to replace the unit instead of all this monkeying around.

Cheers
Stu

misha320
05-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, I tried the power-off-for-8-hours (or so) and now all I get is the initial powering up screen and then straight to the gray screen of death. Seems to be significantly worse now. I have to wait for the weekend to take it back...so it's back to my media centre and my toppy, which likes to reboot by itself, too. {sigh} are PVR's really that hard to manufacture? Crappy HD's is what I think.

gbhills
05-01-2010, 05:37 PM
misha320

It all sounds too familiar,

I have had another uneventfull day, with TiVo support, They even had the guts to ask do I still have a problem.....
Of course i have a problem, that why I'm calling you TiVo support.

And I was told that they had 3 weeks of backlog, now that the Technical people are back, and that my issue was in the list and would be seen to, for a possible replacement.

Now I must admit, I havn't got angry at the support guys, dissapointed yes... but I have not yelled, or used bad lauguage... But what i feel like saying "WHAT THE F%$#@ HAPPENING, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DO SOMETHING"

I have been pro active and politely called Tivo Support daily, and I will continue to do so, I have heard of Karma, and I sure hope that it exist because I have been very very very patient.

Best of luck with your exchange at HN

Malcolm

gbhills
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Update info.

I rang support again, and they told me that there has been no change to my problem.

I was told that the Level 3 support staff are the only people who can authorize the exchange of a TiVo, ( I gather that my Tivo will not be repaired just swapped ), so until someone in Level 3 support reads the case file, and then authorizes the exchange, nothing will change.

So I must wait, there is no one else to talk to, no one else to Email.

I would strongly suggest that that TiVo support, and or Hybrid TV need to get their act together.
When the TiVo was working it was a great HD recorder, but when it fails, its just an absolute dismal level of support provided by the company, and its service providers.

If anyone on this forum can pass on this thread to the senior management at Hybrid or the Service provider for Tivo support, to read as it continues to unfold I would like to hear personally from the Company.

Malcolm

gbhills
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Contact....and not from TiVo support but Hybrid.

Mathew from Hybrid TV called me at 13:10 hrs today, and asked for my address info so that the TiVo can be swapped out.
The courier will contact me to organize the change over soon. "Yay"

Robbee Minicola from Hybrid called me at 13:23 to see if anyone had contacted me to resolve my problem, that was also very good, and with the offer to call back if I have further Issues. :)

So all hope is not lost, I hope thing continue to keep moving along.

Malcolm

petestrash
06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Cool, glad I could help.

Hope your replacement arrives quickly.

Peter.

gbhills
08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
I have my replacement TiVo, it turned up at home un-anounced, the courier company didn't call before hand, I was very lucky to be home at the time ( 10:30am )

Its all set up and I'm watching it now as I type this message.

A big thanks to Peter, for getting in touch with Robbee from Hybrid.

And for the Guys who run these forums, it does provide a voice, and a means to talk to other people, and I do appreciate it, and I will contribute where I can to other people questions.

I really did think for a while there I was going to have a broken TiVo forever.

Cheers

Malcolm

GROWLER
27-01-2010, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=gbhills;15691]

I rang support the next day, and waited for what seamed like an hour, and it after a few questions were asked of me by the guy at support, it was explained to me that it was my antenna ( yes I was confused ), and that the TiVo buffer was full, and this is what I must do to get the buffer to empty, and to change my antenna, by removing, my splitter/amp ( at the antenna fitted by the antenna guy two years ago ) the as the signal was to much for the buffer to handle. ( WTF ) It had been working for 6 weeks with out a problem.

So the support guy is telling you the buffer was full because the signal was too strong. This is simply untrue. The buffer collects digital information (bits and bytes) , not water, it comes in at a fixed rate and the Tivo dumps it to the disk. The speed at which the buffer is written to disk is always greater than the rate at which the buffer is filled so that no information is ever lost. Seems to me that Tivo want to stall you as long as possible and avoid a warranty claim.
Also... Minimum of 5 to 6 hours is mathematical bull****. You either have a minimum of 5 hours OR a minimum of 6 this proves that their so called hard reset is just a snow job.

misha320
27-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I was having this same problem, and thought I'd try TiVo support even though I was probably going to take it back to HN, where I bought it. They told me to do this hard reset, too, (no explanations were given). I did it the next day with no change...still constant rebooting. I reported what I did in detail and the outcome , and TWO WEEKS later I received a question as to whether I had really followed the procedure. Now, this is obvious to me, having worked in support myself, that they are into seriously delaying any replacement. Luckily, I didn't wait for their reply, but took it back. My new Tivo has lasted all of two weeks now, so, fingers crossed, it will be OK. THis support is appalling, and if anyone from TiVo reads these forums, they might think about fixing this. As far as I'm concerned, there is no customer support. No one should have to call support every day to get a severe problem like this fixed.

gbhills
27-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi Growler,

I have to agree, at the time, I held my breath, and just let the support guy go through his spiel, and yes as soon as i received a change over TiVo, everything worked fine, without removing my antenna splitter / booster, and I had removed the purchased (on Supports advice), attenuator.

It was a time stall, and snow Job, because no one was at work who had the authority to authorize the repair of the Tivo, so lets blame the end user and all of his equipment, and make him think that its his problem and not the Tivo.

petestrash
27-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't believe it is snow job or intentional stalling on Hybirds behalf.

Unfortunately it is just poor service and a lack of knowledge/power from the company that has been contracted to run support for Hybrid.

Whatever the reason, it is giving TiVo a bad name here and should be resolved sooner rather than later.

Peter.

Beddo
24-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Below is my on-going experience with TiVo and their "Support." I have just forwarded this info to Hybrid TV directly after receiving some contact details today- hopefully something good might happen soon??

25 Dec 2009 - TiVo unit received as a gift.

31 Jan 2010 – Back from vacation and logged in to TiVo website to activate TiVo Media device.

4 Feb 2010 – Connected up TiVo, configured settings and watched approx 1 hour broadcast TV – no problems.

5 Feb 2010 – Watched approx 1.5 hrs broadcast TV and without warning TiVo crashed with grey screen – switched off for the night.

6 Feb 2010 – Switched on TiVo again, power up sequence would get stuck at the “Almost there – Just a few minutes more” splash screen.

7 Feb 2010 - Called TiVo Support for advice - instructed to perform a hard reset.

8 Feb 2010 – Hard reset performed – TiVo functioned for approx 30 minutes before again crashing with grey screen.

9 Feb 2010 – Again called TiVo Support – instructed to repeat hard reset and to retrieve and record diagnostic values (as per previous posts).

9 Feb 2010 – Hard reset performed – but now TiVo does not even power up and gets stuck at the “Welcome! Powering up….” splash screen.

10 Feb 2010 – I emailed TiVo Support advising of total failure of unit.

11 Feb 2010 – Called TiVo Support to enquire of plan of action.

11 Feb 2010 – Received email from TiVo Support advising website link for exchange of TiVo.

12 Feb 2010 – Completed web form with delivery and phone number details as requested.

13 Feb 2010 to 16 Feb 2010 – numerous emails to and fro regarding my requirement for courier company to call me prior to delivery, (or to leave card in mailbox if no one home).

17 Feb 2010 – Called TiVo Support due to apparent stalemate and no progress on the exchange of my faulty unit – Support confirmed that courier would deliver to my nominated address, and that replacement unit would be shipped out today.

20 Feb 2010 – Called TiVo Support as replacement unit not delivered and no correspondence received, (I was getting quite cranky by this stage). Support person unable to contact Courier Company and could not provide any details. I stated I wanted a phone call (not an email), on Monday morning to advise on status. Support person stated that he would email his Manager for action/response first thing Monday morning but wouldn’t promise any return phone calls.

22 Feb 2010 – Called TiVo Support as neither phone call nor email was received. Asked for status update on replacement unit, but no answers could be given. Asked for Manager but was told Manager away.

23 Feb 2010 – Called TiVo Support as neither phone call nor email was received. Asked for status update on replacement unit, but no answers could be given. Asked for Manager but was told Manager away - AGAIN. Support person advised he would call either by COB today, or first thing in the morning with an update.

WHAT NEXT?

j30max
28-02-2010, 10:46 AM
hows it going with your issue?

Beddo
01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Although I had some problems with TiVo Support over delivery of a replacement for my DOA TiVo, once my problem was escalated to Hybrid TV themselves, the issue was dealt with swiftly and was resolved basically the same day. Although TiVo Support may have some internal issues, Hybrid TV themselves appear to be committed to the product and customer satisfaction, and went far beyond what I expected to resolve my particular issue.
New TiVo box is now on-line and working well!

j30max
09-03-2010, 07:09 PM
good to hear. my replacement unit started off badly with not being able to pick up any tv channels when i was installing it, and coming up gray screen issue when watching live tv.

reboot seemed to have fixed this issue.

Catherine
09-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Well, looks like I can get in line. My tivo - after working almost fine (not able to connect to home network, caspar or home boxoffice) for several months has decided to do the grey screen dance.

I received the same spiel from support - the reset that takes the better part of a day to complete & it is still not working properly.
I spent a month trying to set up the tivo to download movies etc and that has been put on the back burner because of this new problem.

Im going to ring support tomorrow and see what other ridiculous instructions they give me. I have copied the information given about the antenna & full buffer & will give that back to them if they try to tell me its the antenna. Why is it they can send a man to the bloody moon but the words "plug & play" and support mean zilch?

Catherine

j30max
21-03-2010, 02:14 PM
just an update, the gray screen comes on between changing channels and switching to menus. other than that, the replacement unit seems to be going well.
cheers

j30max
13-04-2010, 08:14 AM
my tivo has decided to not allow me to view tv channels anymore, every channel comes up with "signal low, check antenna" and the gray screen.

tried rebooting, removing the antenna, rebooting, plugging in the antenna, rebooting, still no channels come up in the scan.

Also, cable from antenna to tivo is fine, plugged in my latop with tv card and all channels are viewable, so its not the antenna or cable.

have logged a support call with tivo, but reading these pages, it seems my tivo is dead AGAIN!

any advice?

petestrash
13-04-2010, 06:21 PM
What signal level are you getting across the channels?

j30max
14-04-2010, 08:50 AM
hi Pete

No signal at all across any channels. When I goto device diagnostics, its all blank.
I now want to throw this piece of junk out.

j30max
14-04-2010, 04:51 PM
have logged tivo support call this morning, customer support rep said it will be escalated to level 3 support and I will hear back from them in a few days. Do Tivo/Hybrid staff read these forums?

petestrash
14-04-2010, 10:10 PM
The problem you are having is not common, have you tried taking the TiVo to a neighbor/friend to test?

All you need is power and Aerial, then connect to a TV.

The Dual Tuner TiVo does require a better quality signal than you average STB.

Would be worth ruling out your antenna, now that you have had similar problems twice.

j30max
15-04-2010, 08:13 AM
this morning, the channels all came back on mysteriously after a channel scan. I did not do do anything different except a channel scan almost every hour. there is still a 2 sec pause between changing channels where the screen goes completely gray.

fingers crossed the channels remain tomorrow morning, I'll report on progress.

also, no response from tivo support yet.

petestrash
15-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Now that it is back, what sort of levels are getting on most channels.

Peter.

j30max
16-04-2010, 05:02 PM
hey Pete, lost all channels again this afternoon, but this time a scan brought them all back :-|

anyway, signal levels:
7 - 71
9 - 73
10 - 75
OneHD - 75
ABC HD - 69
ABC1 - 61
ABC2 - 61
ABC3 - 61
SBS HD - 67
TVS - 69
7HD - 69
7TWO - 69
9HD - 70
GO! - 73

hope this helps

j30max
16-04-2010, 05:03 PM
also got a call from tivo support saying the level 3 team have still not responded to my case yet.

petestrash
17-04-2010, 10:29 AM
The levels in the 70's are ok, the ones in the 60's are low.

Unlike analogue signals where even a poor signal will show some picture, Digital signals have a cliff where once a level is below what is needed you get no picture at all.

If you are already borderline during the best conditions, it would not take much to change atmospherically or some other external influence to make you lose your channels.

Having a low signal level and/or low signal quality would certainly cause issues similar to what you are seeing.

An amplifier would help boost the level, but would only work if your signal quality is ok (boosting a poor quality signal will not really help though).

Peter

j30max
23-04-2010, 05:30 PM
purchased a GME kingray MDA20L amp, will install this weekend and see if this improves my dodgy signal.

petestrash
23-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Cool, it should increase the signal level on those that are low.

The only thing is, if you have a signal quality issue (aerial or cabling fault) then it may not make it better and could even be worse as amplifiers amplify both the signal and the noise...

Good luck.

Peter.

j30max
01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
hey Pete

installed amp yesterday using power pass-thru f-type splitter. all connections are crimped f-type using RG6 quad shield cables.

applied power to amp and lost all digital reception even after numerous rescans on tivo and other connected tv's on other outlets. Also analogue channels showed massive gain (noise) on all channels. Digital channels did not exist anymore. Checked amp, power is going to it fine (led was alight) using the supplied power injection plug.

removed amp and power, digital channels are back but with low signal levels.

what did i do wrong?

petestrash
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
It sounds like the signal quality is not good enough, amplifiers amplify both the signal and the noise and will not work if the signal to noise ratio is too low.

Unfortunately is sounds like the issue may be with your antenna or cabling.

Peter.

Skolink
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I tried two different brands of amplified splitter when I rewired our place, and neither worked. The guys at the TV aerial specialist couldn't suggest why either. The analog TV reception was much worse, or completely gone, on all channels. I never did figure out what the reason was, and just decided to live with the slight noise on the one weak channel (Prime TV). The only thing I could think of was that the input signal was too high from the antenna on the good channels, overdriving the amp. Perhaps a grounding or ground current issue.
Probably not relevant to your case though.
I presume you are talking about a mast-head amplifier since you mention a pass-through splitter?

j30max
06-05-2010, 04:20 PM
yep, its a masthead amp. Will go and buy a new "highgain" digital tv antenna now. Figured I wont need the amp now.

Hey Pete, I don't know if selling is allowed here, so feel free to remove this if its not.

So, i have for sale a used once Kingray MDA20L amp with power supply.

PM me if anyone is interested.

petestrash
06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
No worries, if you like you can post the Amp in our Trading Post (http://forums.oztivo.net/forumdisplay.php?24-OzTiVo-Trading-Forums) section.

Peter.

j30max
12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
hey Pete

I need your help. My tivo is still loosing all its channels every morning and tivo support have stopped responding to my emails.

this is their latest email:
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Thank you for your enquiry in regards to TiVo Media Device.
Please try the following:

1) - Rescan the channels. Do this by going to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Channels > Channel rescan and select 'Delete previously scanned channels and rescan. Please follow the instructions and add the new channels.

- force a connection to our server (go to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings

> Network > 'Connect to TiVo Services now')

2) To assist in identifying the cause of your issue, we need to get some more information from your TiVo media device:
a) Tune your TiVo media device to a channel.
b) Load Media Device Diagnostics by going to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings >Account & System information > Media Device Diagnostics.
c) Identify which tuner is currently receiving the tuned channel by checking the ""Channel"" values. You may need to scroll down to view the second tuner's details.
d) Note down the following values for the identified tuner:

Tuner:
Current Tuning Status:
Channel:
Frequency:
Modulation:
Connector Type
Signal Source:
Signal Strength:
Signal Lock:
Program Lock:
Seach Complete:
MER:
Pre-Viterbi Errors:
Post-Viterbi Errors:
Packet Errors:

Please do this with all the major broadcasters (ABC, SBS, Seven, Nine and Ten) and once you've retrieved this information, please reply to this email with the diagnostic values completed.

3) a. Please try using a wall power socket, if your TiVo is plugged into a power board or surge protector please bypass them to ensure that you are getting a clean power source.
b. If you are using the wireless adaptor, please remove it temporarily. If your TiVo media device does not reboot with the adaptor disconnected, the adaptor may be faulty. Please also try this with your expander drive if you have one installed.
c. Perform a hard reset, This is performed by removing the power cable from the TiVo and leaving it disconnected for a minimum of five to six hours, which will cause the TiVo to reset the buffer when it returns to a powered-on state. Please make sure only the power and component cables are connected to the TiVo Media Device.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

to which i replied:

Hi

I followed all your instructions and still no live tv on this tivo. I am at my wits end with this issue!

Output of diagnostics is:

Tuner: 0
Everything is blank until you get to RC state: available
Current tuning status: not tuned: general tune error
Tune status: not tuned
Last used channel plan: undefined
Cci byte: n/a
Time since last tune start: 70
Time since last signal lock: 453 seconds
The rest is black until pending tune status: no tune pending

Tuner: 1
Everything is blank until you get to RC state: available
Current tuning status: not tuned: general tune error
Tune status: not tuned
Last used channel plan: undefined
Cci byte: n/a
Time since last tune start: 70
Time since last signal lock: 453 seconds
The rest is black until pending tune status: no tune pending

I did all this after a hard rest overnight and have re plugged the tivo into a clean power point as requested.

I believe that we are now clutching at straws and since this replacement tivo was a refurb, could it be faulty and in need of replacement itself?

I await your reply.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

now heres the weird thing, every afternoon around 4pm, i do a reboot and rescan and all channels come back immediately.

what is happening here.

j30max
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
woah, whilst watching the tivo, the channels just pixelated and lost signal just now!

I thought i'd let you all know that my tivo seems to only work from 3pm to midnight, for watching live tv....

weird man!

petestrash
13-05-2010, 11:35 AM
It's impossible to tell from a distance whether you have a faulty TiVo or bad signal from your antenna as both will produce the same result.

But with your last post I would be leaning towards your signal, as often poor signals improve at night.

Peter.

j30max
13-05-2010, 05:52 PM
ok, but since I replaced my antenna with a brand newey from Dick Smith, all my other tv's are showing a increase in signal levels to around 76+ for all channels including SBS and ABC ranges. Also, with my previous tivo, I never ever had this problem...

petestrash
13-05-2010, 08:00 PM
There really is not much I can guess from here...

If you are sure the quality of the signal at the point the TiVo is plugged in is good, then that only leaves the TiVo as a problem. Push for a replacement.

Peter.

PS did you try to get the signal details (as support requested) in the evening when things are better?

j30max
13-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi

Just did the diagnostics again. Report is here (http://members.iinet.net.au/~pranol/files/tivo_output.pdf).

Funny thing is, when I removed the antenna and plugged it straight into TV, the signal strenght was all mid 70's across tested channels...

---------------

j30max
21-05-2010, 07:46 AM
update - tivo is now completely dead, cannot receive any channels at any time. Tivo support are now NOT responding to my requests and I did give them a final opportunity to contact me re my issues, but they ignored it, so I have lodged a complaint with dept of fair trading.

petestrash
21-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Have you tried calling support 1300 69 84 86

Peter.

j30max
21-05-2010, 04:31 PM
numerous times, actually everyday until wed when i got fed up with their "i'll call you back in 10mins" and they never ever did.

i also emailed them daily, as they can deny receiving calls from me, but I have a email trail that they cannot deny.

i can even give you names of all the "consultants" i spoke to, who all escalated my case to level 3 techs, if you want.

also, this has prevented me from buying a 2nd tivo, as i really do not want to deal with this sort of company.

sorry about the rant, but I tried my best to remain calm for a long time.

petestrash
22-05-2010, 03:08 PM
yes, it has been a real long time.

I'll see if I can get someone a hybrid to step in.

Peter.

j30max
22-05-2010, 07:54 PM
thanks Peter

I appreciate your help.

Cheers

rhamer
03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Add me to the club, my TiVo got the grey screen of death as well.

I tried all the 6 hour turn off type stuff to no avail.

So I bit the dust and rang TiVo support.

They did nothing but take my name and promise to call me back..... They never did.

I called them again and asked why they didn't call me and the guy didn't know and didn't know how to find out......

I went through the standard turn off for 6 hours and disconnect the aerial stuff which I told them I had already done. I asked why they wern't doing something about what was obviously a common well known fault.... he just denied it (of course)

So I have to wait 2 days for the problem to be escalated and for someone to call me back.

However some good news. I left it turned off for about 12 hours, disconnected everything except the power and composite output, and it booted up.

It's been 24 hours, so far so good.

Regards

Rohan

rhamer
30-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Broken again, suprise suprise.

I'm now going to start recommending against buying a TiVo.

Believe me I used to be TiVo's biggest supporter, not any more.

TiVo HD is a piece of junk DON'T BUY ONE.

Yet my series 1 still purrs along beautifully.

Rohan

Mick Molloy
01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
After about 5 years of S1 Tivo service (3 units running) I finally took the plunge and got a Tivo HD ....

Well as you can see I am posting in this thread for a reason... my new Tivo lasted 1 day...the GSOD.. Gray Screen of Death

I tried all the fixes in this thread and no luck.....

I called Tivo service on Sat and went through everthing with the tech... no luck ... I get a gray screen then reboot repeating..

I called this morning afternoon about 2pm to follow up and he said it was still with a level 3 tech and I WILL hear an answer today...

At 5:30pm I called and said .. guys .. still waiting... they said it's OK we shut at 7pm..

now 8pm...

:(

Tivo 5 days is long enough to decide that my new Tivo HD is Rooted... send me a new one already please.

Mick

rhamer
01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I got mine going again by leaving it unplugged completely fo 12 hours, then just plugging in the power (nothing else) and waiting about 20mins.

Eventually the resolution lights came on and then I was able to plug everything else back in.

Still very unhappy.

Rohan

petestrash
01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Tivo 5 days is long enough to decide that my new Tivo HD is Rooted... send me a new one already please.

You might get a quicker turnaround by just returning it to the retailer as DOA.

Peter.

j30max
03-07-2010, 10:03 AM
yes, take it back to retailer and they will replace for you.

If you read my previous posts, tivo support is quite an adventure.

cheers

Mick Molloy
06-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Tivo got back to me today.... "please contact your retailer"....

Email sent ... more waiting to come (it was an online seller)

It has been off for 6 days now ... maybe I should just try again..

Mick

petestrash
14-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Any news?

Peter.