PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with file transfer

Kevin
18-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Please help me, I'm at my wits end. I am unable to get my P.C. and my Tivo to talk to each other. I keep getting a "There are no DVRs available on the network" message. I have even reinstalled Windows (Vista) and bought a new modem (netgear dgn2000).
The story so far.... I have/had a Billion modem and sometimes, under fairly random circumstances, my P.C. would see my the Tivo, it would even pass files to and fro, I could sometimes bring up the Tivo files list on Firefox (and even download them(and up load them for that matter)). But alas, it would always be temporary. So, I thought it was the modem. So I bought the Netgear but now, it seems to be worse.

The Tivo can connect, via the router, to the Tivo server, so thats ok. I can still ping the modem 2-4 ms delays, it is even there as an attached device on the Netgear page, but now I can't even connect to the Tivo with Firefox.

I have disconnected all known firewalls, uninstalled my anti-virus (AVG) program, disabled my "WPA2-PSK Security Encryption", assigned an ip address, confirmed my Mac address, used a cable to bypass the wifi, check & rechecked the ip and mac address, even given it its own. checked the direction of the wind, waited for a full moon killed a black cat, drank a botle of vodka, all to no avail...

Yes, I have rebooted this and that, more times than my kids have had birthdays, and yes, I've re installed Tivo desktop.

The most frustrating thing is that I know it works...I've done it, a few times. I've even downloaded an, ahem, ... bluray movie I found, from my Pc to the f#@ken Tivo. I'm willing, as a last resort, to "donate" one of my kids to get this thing to work but I don't know what else to do....any ideas?

Just tap me on the shoulder, I'll be the one in the corner crying and talking to the ashtray........

petestrash
19-09-2009, 06:54 PM
The Tivo can connect, via the router, to the Tivo server, so thats ok. I can still ping the modem 2-4 ms delays, it is even there as an attached device on the Netgear page, but now I can't even connect to the Tivo with Firefox.

Forgetting TiVo desktop and TiVo not seeing your PC for a moment, if you cannot see TiVo with Firefox, then you have bigger issues.

Is you TiVo using DHCP to get it's address? have you checked on the TiVo that the address it thinks it has is still the same as the one you are entering into Firefox?

Can you describe the path the data needs to take to get between your PC and the TiVo.

Peter.

Ps have you logged a fault with TiVo?

Kevin
20-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Forgetting TiVo desktop and TiVo not seeing your PC for a moment, if you cannot see TiVo with Firefox, then you have bigger issues. When I look at "attached devices" on the Netgear router page via Firefox I can see it there, with the correct i.p. address. But I can't see it by typing the ip in the address bar, using both http and https.

Is you TiVo using DHCP to get it's address? have you checked on the TiVo that the address it thinks it has is still the same as the one you are entering into Firefox? I have used both DHCP and assigned an ip address and the "attached devices" sees the correct ip address.

Can you describe the path the data needs to take to get between your PC and the TiVo. It's pretty typical, i'm using wifi From the Tivo to the router (netgear DGN2000) then wifi to the pc via a dlink internal pci card, all with updated drivers.

Ps have you logged a fault with TiVo? I have initially but not since I got the new modem.

Thanks Peter

petestrash
20-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Have you tried a port test on the TiVo?

Messages & Settings > Settings > Network > View network diagnostics. Does the Port configuration test show succeeded?

Unfortunately it is not 100% reliable it may pass when all ports are not open. But if it fails at least it narrows down your problem.

check your router and PC, the ports that TiVo uses are.

* TCP port 37
* TCP port 443
* TCP port 2190
* TCP port 4430
* TCP port 7287
* TCP port 7288
* TCP port 8000
* TCP ports 8080-8089
* TCP port 8101
* TCP port 8102
* TCP port 8200
* UDP port 37
* UDP port 123
* UDP port 2190

Peter.

JohnScott
20-09-2009, 04:09 PM
What are the IP addresses and subnet masks for the Tivo and the PC running the Tivo Desktop software?

One irritating aspect of the Tivo software is that the Tivo and PC must be on the same subnet. The protocol used is not routeable.

Though if Firefox can't get a response from the Tivo you do have some other problems as well.

John

Kevin
20-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Have you tried a port test on the TiVo?

Messages & Settings > Settings > Network > View network diagnostics. Does the Port configuration test show succeeded?

Unfortunately it is not 100% reliable it may pass when all ports are not open. But if it fails at least it narrows down your problem.

check your router and PC, the ports that TiVo uses are.

* TCP port 37
* TCP port 443
* TCP port 2190
* TCP port 4430
* TCP port 7287
* TCP port 7288
* TCP port 8000
* TCP ports 8080-8089
* TCP port 8101
* TCP port 8102
* TCP port 8200
* UDP port 37
* UDP port 123
* UDP port 2190

Peter.

Yeah Peter, I have done a port configuration test and it failed, I have read on these forums or similar, that these tests usually come up as a fail so I thought no more of it but it makes sense that this could be a problem. All those TCP and UDP ports are already open plus a few more. I have a more than niggling feeling that I have an internal firewall running. I think I have an nvidia firewall. Funny thing is I have disabled my Windows firewall but an online firewall tester (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) says I'm invisible. I'm more confused each day.:(

Kevin
20-09-2009, 06:04 PM
What are the IP addresses and subnet masks for the Tivo and the PC running the Tivo Desktop software?

One irritating aspect of the Tivo software is that the Tivo and PC must be on the same subnet. The protocol used is not routeable.

Though if Firefox can't get a response from the Tivo you do have some other problems as well.

John

John
My Tivo's Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 whereas my router adsl port IP Subnet Mask says 255.255.255.255 but the LAN IP Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0. are these numbers ok or is this the problem?
Thanks

petestrash
21-09-2009, 01:25 AM
John
My Tivo's Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 whereas my router adsl port IP Subnet Mask says 255.255.255.255 but the LAN IP Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0. are these numbers ok or is this the problem?

That's normal for most ADSL connections. What are the IP addresses for the TiVo and PC.

If everything was working correctly, you should not be getting a failed message on the TiVo Port test.

You will need to find the rouge firewall on your PC.

Peter.

JohnScott
21-09-2009, 08:37 AM
John
Thanks

The two subnet masks for the Tivo and LAN appear OK but really need the Tivo and PC IP addresses and perhaps the gateway addresses as well.

These are found on the Tivo at Messages and Settings/Settings/Netwrok/View Network Status. For the PC the simplest option is probably to run the IPCONFIG command.

Not sure that the port test issue is your problem. My Tivo has been reporting that as "Failed" since the day it was installed but everything seems to work OK.

John

petestrash
22-09-2009, 12:39 PM
There have been reports of some issues at TiVo, can you view the Video on Demand service screens?

Peter.

Kierza
22-09-2009, 03:59 PM
There have been reports of some issues at TiVo, can you view the Video on Demand service screens?

Peter.

I am having the same problem, video on demand has all of a sudden disappeared and all the other applications have gone and therefore home network application is not working. The only thing that is working is when I connect to the oztivo service

petestrash
22-09-2009, 04:54 PM
There appears to be a problem at TiVo which is effecting "some" users.

Check to see if your TiVo still has a MAK.

Report the issue to support@tivo.com.au, so they fix it quickly.

Peter.

petestrash
26-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Is it working for you now? TiVo have made some changes at their server.

Peter.

Kevin
03-10-2009, 08:38 AM
I've finally, fingers crossed, had some success and stability in transferring the files from the Tivo to my PC and visa versa. I reinstalled the Netgear modem and uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop 2.7, which I have done probably 5 or six times, this time though I allowed Tivo to install in C:Programs Files (x86) rather than my desired C:Utils. Hey I don't know how that should make a difference but then again nothing made any sense but hey if it works, who am I to argue with the Tivo Gods.

Thanks to you all for you help and advise.