PDA

View Full Version : HNP Question :Viewing AVI files on TIVO from PC

rebafe
13-09-2009, 07:11 PM
*** EDITED **** just realised this is for OZTIVO - not TIVO, sorry to bother y'all. Any advice would be much appreciated if by chance you can help....

Hi all - I'm a very green newbie. Got Tivo and HNP on friday, two days ago. I think all is working ok. ie. I can see photos/play music from my PC & have transferred a file from TIVO to PC and converted to IPOD....

BUT...

I am trying to view some home video and can't get it to work. I have added to TV Desktop "My Video" and also to "My Tivo Recordings" .

When I get to my Tivo I can go to the "Now Playing" and they are all there BUT the Tivo will not play them - I get the error message "This recording cannot transfer because its format is incompatible with this Media Device"

Can anyone please help?

Note: I'm just a civilian (ie. not a techie so please try to give me the dummies version!!!) Thanks

petestrash
14-09-2009, 02:25 AM
You have posted in the correct section for the Australian TiVo HD. The rest of this forum is for the older series 1 & 2 TiVo's.

TiVo Desktop will only work with a limited number of file formats.

Some of the Supported video formats include:
• Windows Media Video (.wmv)
• QuickTime Movie (.mov)
• MPEG-4 / H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v)
• MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpv2)
• DivX or Xvid (.avi, .divx)

Videos protected with DRM or other copy protection are not supported.

Video files containing more than one audio track are not supported.

There is a better way to stream files from a PC using a program like streambaby (http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/).

Peter.