PDA

View Full Version : How to change tivo HDD?

mtarm1
21-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone, just brought my tivo today from jb hifi but as of yet havnt connected it cos i dont have a long enough ethernet cable (getting it tomorrow) but im going to upgrade my hdd pretty much straight away soo im thinking either 320gb or 500gb

so my question's are

1) what physical size is the tivo hdd is it 3.5' or 2.5'

2) is it sata or ide

3) what exactly do i have to do? do i just swap the hdd and powerup? or do i have to update something? do i need to get a certain drive? pretty much is there anything special i need to do to install a new HDD?

cheers, and thanks in advance

mtarm1

Darren King
22-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Hi and welcome. Your post has been moved to the TiVoHD area of this forum as this board is primarily for the older TiVo units that were not for commercial sale in Australia.

Also please update your profile so we know (roughly) where you are located. It makes answering some questions easier.

1) what physical size is the tivo hdd is it 3.5' or 2.5'

2) is it sata or ide
sata

3) what exactly do i have to do? do i just swap the hdd and powerup? or do i have to update something? do i need to get a certain drive? pretty much is there anything special i need to do to install a new HDD?
You need to prep the new hard disk with the operating system. Think along the lines of a PC in that you need something on the hard disk to make the PC actually do something. You will need to use a program called winmfs and that can be found here: http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/

You can use whatever drive you like. Most opt for a 1TB

mtarm1
22-06-2009, 01:38 PM
woops sorry,

thanms for the info

got my ethernet cable so connecting tonight

cheers
mtarm1

petestrash
22-06-2009, 02:28 PM
There is a reasonable write-up on endgadgetHD (http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/04/17/how-to-upgrade-your-tivo-hd-with-winmfs/) with pictures. It is for a US model, but the principles are the same.

Peter.

Beast
11-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi and welcome. Your post has been moved to the TiVoHD area of this forum as this board is primarily for the older TiVo units that were not for commercial sale in Australia.

Also please update your profile so we know (roughly) where you are located. It makes answering some questions easier.

sata

You need to prep the new hard disk with the operating system. Think along the lines of a PC in that you need something on the hard disk to make the PC actually do something. You will need to use a program called winmfs and that can be found here: http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/

You can use whatever drive you like. Most opt for a 1TB
So this mod will work with the series 3 Tivo? (official ozzy version). Any particular HDD works best?

petestrash
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes, if you look at the winmfs site by using the link in your post you will find the download for winmfs_beta9_3g.zip Listed under "Australia".

Any SATA HDD can be used though you are limited to using up to 1.2Tb unless you have a hacked TiVo.

Peter.