PDA

View Full Version : kiwi newbie

rincewind
19-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi guys, thought I'd intro myself.
I'm interested in tivo, but haven't quite got a handle on it.
Am i to assume the guides are downloaded via the web or does the tivo box have a dial up arrangement to a local number?
Also is there a software version of tivo. I watch tv on a comp I get all the nz fta. + sky uhf via winfast 2000 card + abc from Aus via skymedia sm200 sat card. I use progdvb with yanksee and fenrir plugins for Aus. and hvcplus for fta and sky.
I tried a prog. called ober tvguide (get it at www.dogfreckle.info) it's still in beta test at the moment and all it gives you is the info from the providers web site. It can't be used to set a record time .
Any pointers for a green newbie?
cheers
:D :confused: :D

tenty
19-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi guys, thought I'd intro myself.
Howdy.

I'm interested in tivo, but haven't quite got a handle on it.
Am i to assume the guides are downloaded via the web or does the tivo box have a dial up arrangement to a local number?
There are 2 arrangements here. One is Dialup. The other is a network solution. Similar to the way a computer works. You can dial up over your favourite ISP to get your email, or you can use broadband via a network card or USB to get your email. The end result is the same, you get your email.

In this situation, TiVo gets it's TV guide data by polling a website, (be you dialed up, or on boardband...) of your choice (ie. minnie) and downloads the TV Guide information.

Also is there a software version of tivo.
Well TiVo itself is a packaged deal. Hardware and software. Unless you can emulate the TiVo's processor, I think it's going to be hard getting the software running on your PC!

I watch tv on a comp I get all the nz fta. + sky uhf via winfast 2000 card + abc from Aus via skymedia sm200 sat card. I use progdvb with yanksee and fenrir plugins for Aus. and hvcplus for fta and sky.
I tried a prog. called ober tvguide (get it at www.dogfreckle.info) it's still in beta test at the moment and all it gives you is the info from the providers web site. It can't be used to set a record time .
Any pointers for a green newbie?
cheers
I'm not too sure what pointers you want....

rincewind
19-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Hi trenty,
thanks for the quick reply,
I've just been nosying around the threads and with what you say it makes a bit more sense.
I'm just a guy playing with his computer, I like to watch tv on it coz it saves space.
as to what pointers i wanted, I would just like a readily accessable guide tailored to my specific channel needs, and not all the other rubbish that the listen?er wants me to see. :( sounds pretty reasonable eh?
You say my computer couldn't handle it. Is there a particular reason or is the software unknown or propriety?
I'd prefer to get into a software solution, I don't have the bucks for buying equipment. Even if I could just bring the listings up in a window in any common dbase form it would be better than tv guide.
out of that list of stations i mentioned, I forgot about all the fta euro channels coming down off the satellites which I have sometimes caught good shows on, but am unable to get listings easily for.

I appreciate your input ,
cheers Rincewind :D

tenty
20-07-2004, 08:48 PM
The reason I say that the software would not run on your computer directly is because the actual processor on the motherboard of the TiVo is a MIPS processor. Not knowing a lot about the different architectures I don't know if this could be emulated or not on a PC. The PC uses the x86 architecture as far as I know.

FYI though, if you google for "Home made TiVo" or "freevo" you could possibly find what it is you want to do, which I believe is use your PC the same way the tivo works.

As for your TV Guide problem, I'm not sure what the solution is. You could scrape web sites with TV guide information, and as long as its only for personal use, it should be alright against the copyright men who bring down terror on all who impose on their domain *ahem*

Clear as mud? Yep. Gets like this when you want to customise things to your specifications ;)

elarbee
21-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Clear as mud? Yep. Gets like this when you want to customise things to your specifications ;)

Aint that the truth!! :rolleyes:

rincewind
23-07-2004, 08:01 PM
heehee if it was any other way, then where would the fun be?????that would be like doing the crossword with your mum giving you all the answers !
I found a site, http://www.mythtv.org/ which looks kinda hopeful, I'm d/ling some software now and it looks like a weeks worth of heavy reading as well. might come back for a bit of q & A if thats ok
cheers
rincewind