PDA

View Full Version : Guidlines for uploading data

stevehendo
06-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Have been using oztivo data for a couple of months now and want to start contributing to the guide data. I have joined the mailing list, but didn't want to ask this there and waste everyone's time!

What are the rules about copying series/program descriptions from the web (eg. from the production company's website or an online tv guide) into the guide database? I read the "Policy on Data" but am still not totally sure.

Darren King
06-06-2009, 04:17 PM
I have joined the mailing list, but didn't want to ask this there and waste everyone's time!
It's not. There's a mix of people who use either but not both methods of TiVo discussion.

What are the rules about copying series/program descriptions from the web (eg. from the production company's website or an online tv guide) into the guide database?
Quite simply: Please do not do it. It is copyrighted data.

petestrash
07-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Quite simply: Please do not do it. It is copyrighted data.

It depends on the source, as far as yahoo etc go, you cannot use their descriptions. You can use factual info, like series and episode titles as well as ratings etc.

You can use descriptions from sources that allow their data to be used by not for profit community groups. Licenses such as creative commons are usually used for these.

Lastly feel free to write your own show descriptions.

We are fairly good for FTA data right now, but could use help with Pay TV.

Peter.