PDA

View Full Version : Many TiVoHD questions

Phred
07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys,

Contemplating the purchase of a TiVoHD - want two tuner capability. I have a second new (rebuilt) Series1 that would need an HD upgrade, network card and a tuner/settop box or I could just buy a TiVoHD. I see prices for the HD hovering around the $600 mark so think that might in the short and longterm be my best option.

Forgive me if I’m asking stupid questions about TiVoHD:

In the TiVoHD Getting Started Ports and Panels manual:

3 - S-Video Out
S-Video enables you to connect a cable that provides a high quality standard definition picture. []. It does not provide high definition video.

Q1. S-Video is analogue so do they mean when the TiVo is tuned to an HD source the S-Video out is disabled? Meaning TiVo doesn’t “convert” HD streams to SD/analogue? But then see next.

4 - Component Out
This jack enables you to connect a cable that provides a High Definition quality picture. This cable then connects to your TV or A/V system.[]

Q2. Again Component out is analogue and there really isn’t “HD” analogue is there? So TiVo apparently does “convert” HD streams to analogue? Yes?

I understand that Component video is better quality than S-Video and that in turn is better than Composite.

Q3. Nothing-is-FreeView has, so far, only required triple speed FF be nobbled; yes? Anything else? Supposedly uploading video to the PC in a format that could be burnt to DVD would also be deemed a no no by Nothing-is-FreeView?

Q4. Think I would like to back-up my virgin drive before connecting to the Aus TiVo service and probably every so often given updates can happen at anytime and I basically don’t trust Nothing-is-FreeView.. Basically what TiVo (mfg, US model, etc) is being branded TiVoHD here in Australia so I know what to search for in the way of utilities?

Q5. I understand we get full service when we purchase TiVo here in Australia (as opposed to the US requiring a monthly subscription). But, has anyone built a slice server - done their own guide?

Q6. What speeds does the TiVo ethernet support – gigabit??

Q7. The $99 HNP doesn’t allow recorded programs to be uploaded to the PC? Or are they just in a format that can’t be played except when put back on the TiVo? Is it likely that anyone will end up with a hack that would allow content to be burnt to a DVD?

So many questions, so little time.

Thanks guys for all your help in the past and in advance thanks for your help with TiVoHD in the future.

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Q1. S-Video is analogue so do they mean when the TiVo is tuned to an HD source the S-Video out is disabled? Meaning TiVo doesn’t “convert” HD streams to SD/analogue? But then see next.

All outputs work simultaneously on both SD and HD content. S-Video and Composite will output SD for both SD & HD channels.

Q2. Again Component out is analogue and there really isn’t “HD” analogue is there? So TiVo apparently does “convert” HD streams to analogue? Yes?

Component is analog, but that does not mean that it does not support HD. there is no conversion. HD is shown as HD.

Q3. Nothing-is-FreeView has, so far, only required triple speed FF be nobbled; yes? Anything else? Supposedly uploading video to the PC in a format that could be burnt to DVD would also be deemed a no no by Nothing-is-FreeView?

Right now the TiVo is a Freeview approved product. Freeview have not told the public what that means, apart from Ad skipping is not allowed. Fast forwarding at current TiVo speed is ok. TiVo has copy protection already, so if stations wanted to restrict the ability of shows to be transferred off the TiVo then this is possible. But not currently being done.

Q4. Think I would like to back-up my virgin drive before connecting to the Aus TiVo service and probably every so often given updates can happen at anytime and I basically don’t trust Nothing-is-FreeView.. Basically what TiVo (mfg, US model, etc) is being branded TiVoHD here in Australia so I know what to search for in the way of utilities?

If you mean hacks, then there is nothing you can do to the TiVoHD without first having the Prom chip replaced (breaks warranty).

Q5. I understand we get full service when we purchase TiVo here in Australia (as opposed to the US requiring a monthly subscription). But, has anyone built a slice server - done their own guide?

The EPG is quite good and first run options work well. I don't think anyone has bothered putting time into something that is not needed.

Q6. What speeds does the TiVo ethernet support – gigabit??

100mbs

Q7. The $99 HNP doesn’t allow recorded programs to be uploaded to the PC? Or are they just in a format that can’t be played except when put back on the TiVo? Is it likely that anyone will end up with a hack that would allow content to be burnt to a DVD?

You can only get HNP for $99 if you buy the TiVo from the online store, the other offer finished on the 30th of April for retail TiVo's.

If you do buy HNP it allows you to watch TiVo shows on your PC and there are ways of puting them on DVD's

Peter.

Phred
09-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the help.

Component is analog, but that does not mean that it does not support HD. there is no conversion. HD is shown as HD.

So can a Component (analogue) output of an HD source be viewed on any old standard analogue TV?

Freeview have not told the public what that means,

Yea and they have already shown their true colors – no ad skipping. I’m willing to bet that over time they will want to kill FF during commercials much like the way DVDs prevent FF during the copyright notice (during chase play as well as recorded program play-back), control mute similarly, and who knows maybe even on network connected tuners provide individual viewing information to “target” advertising. I wouldn’t trust noting-is-ever-FreeView as far as I could throw ‘em.

If you mean hacks, then there is nothing you can do to the TiVoHD without first having the Prom chip replaced (breaks warranty).

No (atm), was just going to look for tools that can image backup, restore, and possibly be used to replace the drive with a larger one.

Thanks again Peter.

Phred

petestrash
09-05-2009, 12:14 PM
So can a Component (analogue) output of an HD source be viewed on any old standard analogue TV?

You can set the TiVo to output at the maximum Resolution your TV is capable of receiving.

No (atm), was just going to look for tools that can image backup, restore, and possibly be used to replace the drive with a larger one.

Look at mfslive.org (http://www.mfslive.org/)

Peter.