PDA

View Full Version : My Tivo has died

CParrill
06-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Here it is Friday night and no Tivo for the weekend. :mad: Last night I sat down to watch the news (time shifted of course) and found the front of my Tivo totally dark. No lights no reaction to remote nothing. I tried another powerpoint and still black.

I registered the problem with Tivo last night expecting a call today and at this point I have heard nothing.

I thought I would just throw this post out there just in case there is an obvious fix or something easy to try. After years with my Series 1 (given away now to a new home) I don't know how to watch live TV any more. Last night giving it a try my partner picked up the remote to go back and see something missed then we both laughed at the mistake. Now I am going to cry.

Thanks,

Darren King
06-03-2009, 09:32 PM
No lights would most likely be a power supply issue. Given it has a warranty I would be waiting this one out until you get a response from TiVo.

CParrill
07-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks Darren - that is what I was afraid of. Think we'll go to the movies.

jeremybrennan
10-03-2009, 11:33 AM
CParrill, I have a spare S1 Tivo for sale if you are interested. Make an offer?
(I think it only has an 80gb drive, but does have a turbonet card)

duncane
10-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Thats like saying... "I see your Ferrari has broken down, would you like to buy my Hyundai Excel?"

;-p

CParrill
12-03-2009, 06:52 AM
CParrill, I have a spare S1 Tivo for sale if you are interested. Make an offer?
(I think it only has an 80gb drive, but does have a turbonet card)

Jeremy, My old S1 Tivo is just across the street with my neighbors - it had a 200 gb drive. I've been there done that and was looking for the 2 tuners and Digital out of the box.

Just an update on the criminal HTS service. Today is one week and counting and HTS hasn't yet organized a replacement machine (still asking me what the problem is for the 5th time in the last 7 days). If this was my S1, problem determination would have been done overnight with the help of the forums then Darren would have probably had a power supply to send to me or something. I would have been up and running by last weekend.

BurnieM
13-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Just an update on the criminal HTS service. Today is one week and counting and HTS hasn't yet organized a replacement machine (still asking me what the problem is for the 5th time in the last 7 days). If this was my S1, problem determination would have been done overnight with the help of the forums then Darren would have probably had a power supply to send to me or something. I would have been up and running by last weekend.
If this is a warranty issue then take it back to the dealer you bought it from and get them to sort it.

Does not matter if TiVo say you have to go back thru them, legally it is up to the dealer to sort it out

CParrill
14-03-2009, 12:16 PM
If this is a warranty issue then take it back to the dealer you bought it from and get them to sort it.

Burnie, Good idea. I took the Tivo back to Harvey Norman this morning. They told me they couldn't accept broken Tivos back and I would have to work through the Tivo.com process. After telling them that the Tivo process was totally unsatisfactory and telling them that I was reporting my experience in the forums, they did offer to contact Tivo for me on Monday. This is not the help I wanted (I wanted a replacement machine) but I won't turn down the help.

A second weekend without Tivo.

BurnieM
14-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Burnie, Good idea. I took the Tivo back to Harvey Norman this morning. They told me they couldn't accept broken Tivos back and I would have to work through the Tivo.com process. After telling them that the Tivo process was totally unsatisfactory and telling them that I was reporting my experience in the forums, they did offer to contact Tivo for me on Monday. This is not the help I wanted (I wanted a replacement machine) but I won't turn down the help.

A second weekend without Tivo.
Still up to them

I find walking into the middle of the store as often as you can (every day?) and saying how totally pissed off you are (at the top of your voice) usually gets a result (3 days max)