PDA

View Full Version : TIVO with PAL B

celo
12-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Hi All,

I have PMed a member here (copy paste the message I sent here) and would like to get also your opinion.

I read that Tivo can be set to Pal so, it is usable in Europe. I will not need the tuner because I am thinking to use a satellite box. I really don't need the program guide, can't get it anyway. Being able to stop, replay, manual recording, etc. are my needs. Is it too hard to change the input so it can receive Pal signals? Which Tivo to get? I found on some on Ebay, Philips HDR212, can this be hackable regardless of the software version or Series I or II? I am not too happy that it has only 20 hours of recording, but can upgrade the HD for bigger size. Dialing is not a problem as I can add a Turbonet for broadband. Oh one more thing I am thinking 120 volt vs. 240Vac will not be problem without a voltage converter, correct? Thanks a bunch!

Here is the most critical question :) When you are doing the Pal hack, do you have to have the hard drive and the unit that will have the hack at the same time or if I send someone an empty hard drive who can do this hack and when I put it back in my unit, it works? I am not good with Linux at all but if I have to do it, I will, hopefully 

elarbee
12-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Im new to tivo myself but thought I'd have a stab at this for ya..

I read that Tivo can be set to Pal so, it is usable in Europe. I will not need the tuner because I am thinking to use a satellite box. I really don't need the program guide, can't get it anyway. Being able to stop, replay, manual recording, etc. are my needs.

So all you really need is a PVR. Why go through the trouble of getting a tivo? You might as well just pick up a PVR in Europe.

Is it too hard to change the input so it can receive Pal signals?

I assume you mean the AV input? From what I understand you don't need to 'change' the hardware at all.

Which Tivo to get?

Browse these forums, there's a very good answer in here somewhere but I cant be bothered looking for it. Short answer, a Philips series 1

I found on some on Ebay, Philips HDR212, can this be hackable regardless of the software version or Series I or II?

read this http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/TWiki/WhichTiVoToBuy

I am not too happy that it has only 20 hours of recording, but can upgrade the HD for bigger size. Dialing is not a problem as I can add a Turbonet for broadband.

Why would you want turbonet for broadband when you aren't using the EPG?

Oh one more thing I am thinking 120 volt vs. 240Vac will not be problem without a voltage converter, correct? Thanks a bunch!

I believe the Philips series 1 tivo's are universal 110-230v ( at least mine is anyway ) so you just need to get the correct power cable. Read this http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/TivoPowerSupply

Here is the most critical question When you are doing the Pal hack, do you have to have the hard drive and the unit that will have the hack at the same time or if I send someone an empty hard drive who can do this hack and when I put it back in my unit, it works? I am not good with Linux at all but if I have to do it, I will, hopefully

Im not sure what you mean, but if you mean 'how do you prepare a HDD for use in your new tivo with an Aussie image' then read this http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howtoinstall/GuidedSetup30

In fact most of your questions can be answered by clicking on the very first forum link ( called FAQ )

celo
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
I read the FAQ but it did not say about which software can be hackable (maybe I did not see) The PVRs are very expensive in Europe plus Tivo is a lot easier to use, I can get a Tivo here in US for $50. I actually own a ReplayTV but cannot be used in Europe. I built an HTPC unit for a possible solution but it is not the same thing. I don't need the network unless the unit does not need to call Tivo server for program guide. I would probably save money in the long run if I get a network card with it so the phone bill does not go up. Plus, I may be able to do more things with networked Tivo; maybe renaming the manual recordings/schedules? I used Linux before (tried at least) so I may do it. Yes, I meant sending an empty hard drive for Pal hack and put the HD back in the Tivo unit.

tenty
12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
I read the FAQ but it did not say about which software can be hackable (maybe I did not see) The PVRs are very expensive in Europe plus Tivo is a lot easier to use, I can get a Tivo here in US for $50. I actually own a ReplayTV but cannot be used in Europe. I built an HTPC unit for a possible solution but it is not the same thing. I don't need the network unless the unit does not need to call Tivo server for program guide. I would probably save money in the long run if I get a network card with it so the phone bill does not go up. Plus, I may be able to do more things with networked Tivo; maybe renaming the manual recordings/schedules? I used Linux before (tried at least) so I may do it. Yes, I meant sending an empty hard drive for Pal hack and put the HD back in the Tivo unit.

My appologies, but I have moved this into the "Newbie forum" because the request for help should only be used if people in AU need help and there is someone nearby (as in their own state) to come to their rescue.

With that said, If you run the OzTiVo image on your TiVo, you should not have any problems as most of the hacks like PALMOD for example are already in place. The TiVo will also be running "TiVoWeb" in which case you will be able to rename the shows via the web interface. This does not require a network card however, and it can be done via a serial cable to your PC. See:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howtonetwork/NetworkingHowto

I would be cautious though of running the 'hacked' TiVo in Europe, as there is already a TiVo subscription service in the UK, and I'm not too sure what the laws are. I will congratulate elarbee on the answers given as they are pretty much spot on. Series ONE TiVos are the only ones the Aussies have hacked, and there is some work on the Series TWO, but I'm not too sure of the status. There have been series 2 hacks done in the U.S. but you can use google for that ;)

Hope I've been a little more help.

celo
12-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks tenty. I am very sorry for posting it here as I posted my second thread in the Newbie Forum. I will not be living in UK. I think Tivo was heard by 10 percent of the people in my country :) Please see my other post if you will since I am starting this process this week :D Thanks tenty!

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=207

elarbee
12-07-2004, 11:48 PM
hey celo

i found the post that david symons put up about which models are best..

Hi,

See here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vi.../WhichTiVoToBuy

and here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/oz...rch/010930.html

The consensus seems to be Philips Series 1 Standalone of which there are the following models:

HDR110
HDR112
HDR212
HDR310
HDR312
HDR31201
HDR31202
HDR31203
HDR31204
HDR612
Cheers, Dave.

good luck ;)