PDA

View Full Version : Is "Network Remote Control" Available on OZ TivoHD?

StutsmanSoft
23-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm an American software developer who has created a remote control app for the iPhone. It works by using a telnet interface on port 31339 of the Tivo.

I was dismayed to see one user report that the application did not work on his Australian unit.

Can someone confirm that the telnet interface (activated with Network Remote Control) exists on on Australian unit?

I am happy to give some free copies of the application (DVR Remote) to people who help me troubleshoot this issue.

If the telnet interface just doesn't exist, I will remove my app from the Australian App Store.

Thanks!

petestrash
24-01-2009, 12:51 AM
No it is not in the current software.

From memory it was only made available around V9.1

Peter.

StutsmanSoft
24-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks Peter,

I have removed DVR Remote from the Australian App Store as a result and will resubmit it at such a time as it will actually work for people.

My apologies to the Australian TiVo community for the mixup on my part!

StutsmanSoft
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Guys,

I had a customer inquire about DVR Remote for Australia - have they added the Network Remote Control feature to your firmware yet?

I'm eager to throw the Aussie switch once they do!

petestrash
05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
No, it is still not enabled and may never be as Creston is not locally supported here.

Peter

micknews
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi Peter & Stutsman,

I for one would love to be able to use the DVR remote on my iPhone, and being a bit cheesed off with the way the Tivo is hobbled here except for Really useful things like "Ordering a Pizza" and Listening to some crap Radio breakfast show on the Tivo!! (Sarcasm intended!) I wrote to Tivo Customer Support. I include the text of the email here......

"There is a great iPhone app called DVR remote which I would love to take
advantage of but it requires the Network Remote Control Menu item which
appears on the Messages & Settings/ Settings/ Remote, Cablecard &
Devices Menu on overseas Tivo HD DVR's. Is there any reason this cannot
be activated on Australian Tivos? I, and I am sure many other Tivo HD
owners, would much prefer this facility rather than Ordering a Pizza, or
listening to some Radio Breakfast show on the TV???? What is that all
about??
So please consider the addition of something that would truly be
useful on our Hobbled Tivos instead of some other inane idea.
I look forward to reading your comments."

Well, as is normal, I received a reply within 5 minutes. The reply simply said " As a valued customer we appreciate your feedback. As you mentioned, this feature is not yet enabled here in Australia.
Remember you can always find out about TiVo's latest features and find help for a number of common queries at: www.tivo.com.au" :mad:

So, We continue to be hobbled and fed crap. Serves me right for trusting that useful apps would be added later and buying one!

Sorry Peter, but why would lack of support for Crestron here apply to an iPhone app.??

Mick.

petestrash
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
The Telnet port that the iPhone app that Strutsman and others use was designed and paid for in the US by TiVo Partner Crestron to use in their Home Automation systems.

This open port was discovered by hackers, and made public. People then wrote applications to make using the command line instructions prettier and more user friendly.

HTS (TiVo Australia) have no commercial relationship with Crestron and would receive no royalties from the app writers.

Peter

petestrash
31-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Looks like Hybrid have finally enabled the network remote feature used by iPhone/iPod.

If you have the 11.3a update.

Go into Settings > Remote & Devices > Network Remote Control and enable that feature.

Then download the FREE MyDVR app from the app store and you can control your TiVo by Apple.

If you don't have an iPod/iPhone, there is also a python GUI version at TiVo Community:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showpost.php?p=7054269

Should run under Windows/Mac/*nix once Python is installed.

Peter.