PDA

View Full Version : Service Failed.

RalphMesiti
21-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I moved a working Tivo to another room and all connected up but when forcing a Phone Call thru TivoWebPlus I get "Failed. Service unavailable" yet there is a working connection, I get a valid IP address, and I can ftp and putty it etc.

Do not know what to do next, any help please.

Thanks

petestrash
22-11-2008, 03:48 AM
What is the physical connection route between where the TiVo is now and the internet, and what was the route in the old location.

Peter.

RalphMesiti
22-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Peter,
It ended up becoming a SECOND Tivo in the new location.
The new location is connected thru a hub (as is the first original TiVo).

I noticed thast the little green light on the Turbonet card is not constant green but a flashing green on the second Tivo.
Thanks

Darren King
22-11-2008, 10:43 AM
It ended up becoming a SECOND Tivo in the new location.
Well that changes the situation somewhat!

I noticed thast the little green light on the Turbonet card is not constant green but a flashing green on the second Tivo.
That is normal. It is indicating some traffic on your network (not necessarily traffic to/from your TiVo) when it flashes.

Have you ensured both TiVo's have different network MAC addresses? They need to be different otherwise all sorts of strange things happen.

RalphMesiti
22-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi,

Yes one has Mac address 00:0B:AD:A0:0A:1D
and the other has address 00:0B:AD:10:10:10

Thanks
Regards
Ralph

ovitua
22-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi,

...but when forcing a Phone Call thru TivoWebPlus ..

Thanks

Tivo WebPlus?

Thanks
AuTivo

petestrash
23-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Ralph, do they both have different IP's. Also what happens if you:
A. unplug the network cable from the TiVo at the original location then for a call from the new location.
b. plug the second TiVo back into the original location.

ovitua welcome to the forums, but not sure what you are saying. Are you asking what TiVoWebPlus is???

Peter.

RalphMesiti
24-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Peter,
Yes, 2 difference IP addresses (192.168.1.9 & 192.168.1.4)
In reply to your questions

A)Unplugged first (original) Tivo and second TiVo at new location still failed.
B)Second TiVo at first location still failed.

I also plugged original TiVo into new location and it did work.
So that tells me a) that new cable and connection works and b) points to a problem with second TiVo.

So I put a newly formatted HDD into second tivo with 1.6 image and it failed at the connection phase (the initial connection) of the guided setup.

Thanks

petestrash
24-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Assuming that you used the current 1.6 image and not an older copy, it looks like you have a hardware issue with the 2nd TiVo (if you used an older copy it will be trying to contact the old emulator which is now offline).

Check the network card is fully seated and did not move.

Check the cable is firmly attached to the card.

Do you run a short cable from the card to a Joiner? If you do, bypass this joiner and plug the cable directly into the card.

Failing all that, try swapping network cards between the TiVo's.

Peter

Islander
24-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Have you checked that there is not an ip address conflict with another device on your network other than your good tivo.

If you run ipscan (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/pub/Uploads/WebHome/ipscan-3.0-beta3.exe) with your new tivo disconnected to check for all addresses in use on your network.

RalphMesiti
24-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Peter,
The penny dropped with your last reply........its an old 1.6 image (from sept 2006).

Thats got to be the problem. I'm now downloading the 1.6.2 image dated 4/6/08. Thanks for your help and insight, its much appreciated.
Regards
Ralph