PDA

View Full Version : Failed. Service unavailable

vex
03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
can i just confirm please aust emulator www.oztivo.net is working
as of 03/10/08 friday night after 8pm

im trying to force both my tivos with no joy, both latest 1.6 vers

i can ping and telnet and stuff but wget fails ???

[TiVo [p0] ~]# wget http://65.49.60.197/index.html
--21:28:00-- http://65.49.60.197/index.html
=> `index.html'
Connecting to 65.49.60.197:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
--21:28:01-- http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view
=> `view'
Resolving www.oztivo.net... failed: Host not found.

have not needed proxy changes in the past so is it an isp problem
any help would be a next step thanx in advance

SteveP
03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I appear to have the same problem. Last good connection was early on the 28/09/08. Up until that point, it seemed to be working fine. A reboot had no effect. Is this problem widespread or should I be doing some detailed fault finding. IP connection from the Tivo seems fine.

Thanks Steve

vex
03-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I went reading here about transparent proxies:
http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Network/BypassTransparentProxyServer

i went through all this last year being pretty shure my isp didnt use such a thing, did these changes to the tivo files and now i can make calls again give it a go:

1. The easiest and generally best method.
You need to manually edit the config files which name the Emulator (See HowToEditFilesUsingJoe for help on editing). These arer /etc/oztivo.conf and /etc/tclient.conf. oztivo.conf may not exist on some old versions of the OzTiVo image, if this is the case, then just ignore this step. You will need to telnet into your oztivo and do the following:

run the command "rw" to make the disk writable;
use an editor (e.g the joe editor) and edit /etc/oztivo.conf (if it exists): change emulatorport=80 to emulatorport=9090 and
use an editor and edit /etc/tclient.conf: find and change the line starting with #127::65.49.60.197:80::: and change it to 127::65.49.60.197:9090::: then change the line with 127::127.0.0.1:8000::: to #127::127.0.0.1:8000:::
run the command "ro" to make the disk read-only;
reboot the box. and try a daily call.

maybe or isps are mucking around
good luck with it i hope it has fixed my probs ? only time will tell

SteveP
04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi Vex - Thanks for your response. It wasn't the proxy, but you got me thinking.

Turns out that I could not ping www.oztivo.net although I could ping the IP (65.49.60.197) directly owing to the name server in /etc/resolv.conf not appearing to work.

It was 61.88.88.88 (ns.optus.net.au) so I changed it to the DNS server I use for bigpond cable and now everything is fine. I'm not sure if I missed specifying the DNS during setup and why it suddenly stopped working.

Looks like either the Optus name server is not working, or they got tired of providing service to Telstra clients :D

Steve

DavidH
04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
There is something weird going on. I'm having the same problem and have had for a few days now.

Making the changes that Vex put in his post made it work this morning but then down again as I post this. Changing DNS hasn't done anything in my case.

I suggest that there is something up with www.oztivo.net

DavidBlack
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
tclient log file as attached (tivoid removed)

Any help / advice would be appreciated

Cheers
David

petestrash
04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
There are 2 possibilities either some new proxies or that Optus may be
having some Nameserver issues.

Those that are having trouble connecting, you may want to alter your
/etc/hosts file. replace the line:
131.244.9.101 minnie minnie.tuhs.org

with:

65.49.60.197 www.oztivo.net

Also change your /etc/oztivo.conf file so that the emulatorport= line says
emulatorport=9090 (if it doesn't already)

Reboot and then try a call again.

Peter.

DavidBlack
04-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Peter

Thanks - just tried that - no go. Same issue - "Failed. Service unavailable"

petestrash
04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Try replacing www.oztivo.net with 65.49.60.197 in /etc/oztivo.conf reboot and try again.

Failing that try some of the transparent proxy tests (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Network/BypassTransparentProxyServer) and networking tests (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingHowto#Configuration_and_Diagnostics).

Peter

DavidBlack
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks

replacing www.oztivo.net with 65.49.60.197 in /etc/oztivo.conf fixed the issue

must be dns issues

Cheers
David

petestrash
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks,

The problem is not with our system, but probably with DNS servers as you suggest.

These things usually come right in a day or so. The changes I have suggested are only
for people who need to get it sorted now. Everyone else can just continue as they were and it either does not effect them or will come right on it's own.

Peter.

JustinD
05-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Just as a silly question.
What if someone made the change to the oztivo.conf file and put it back in the tivo without changing the file permissions back and now cannot seem to connect with putty into the tivo?
Not saying any names :(

Any suggestions appreciated

Darren King
05-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Assuming you are talking about changing the network card address setting and your router does not report what that is then you have two options:

1. Easiest is to use a serial cable to access a telnet session with a PC running a terminal program (ie hyperterm or similar) and make the changes.

2. Put the TiVo hard disk into a PC and boot the oztivo install CD. Do not reimage, but simply go into the network setting menu and change the setting from there. Save settings, remove and reinstall hard disk back into the TiVo.

JustinD
05-10-2008, 10:53 AM
thanks for responding Darren.
But, since all I did was change the setting in oztivo.conf to the IP address and then overwrote the file, without doing anything else, I assume I have to reset the files permission or the tivo system cannot use it - is that first asssumption correct?
(I do have the serial cable, etc)
If that is correct, how do I change the file permissions with hyperterm and what do they need to be?
sorry for the many questions

Also, just to clarify, all I did was replacing www.oztivo.net with 65.49.60.197 in /etc/oztivo.conf. I didn't change anything else

petestrash
05-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Justin, by file permissions do you mean rw/ro or did you use chmod?

Also did you edit the file on a PC or the TiVo.

Peter.

JustinD
05-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Justin, by file permissions do you mean rw/ro or did you use chmod?

Also did you edit the file on a PC or the TiVo.

Peter.

I just made the changes on the PC with notepad and saved and transfered. I stupidly didn't think to correct the permissions (and I am assuming thats why I can no longer telnet or tivoweb into the tivo).

I had planned to get in through serialPPP but just found out both the notebook and the cable serial ends are female so I have to purchase an adaptor tomorrow.

Once I get in with the serial cable (assuming I don't need oztivo.conf for serial to work) I wasn't sure what would be the best way to change the file permissions so things can continue on....:)

Is the easiest way hyperterm and then somehow get to the directory and chmod 755 or something?

petestrash
05-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Justin,

You should never edit a file on your PC as most programs will cause errors in the file when put on your TiVo unless precautions are taken.

It has nothing to with permissions, but from extra characters added to the file (mostly ^M for carriage returns).

It may be a simple matter of just running dos2unix on the file, but at the moment you will have no access to the TiVo until you either remove the drive or use a serial cable to get access.

If you get access try dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf then reboot.

Peter.

hutch235
06-10-2008, 01:56 PM
We use Bigpond and for some reason DNS would not resolve www.oztivo.net.
Changing the /etc/oztivo.conf file line from www.oztivo.net to 65.49.60.197 did the trick for our Tivo's. Once the file is changed we needed to reboot and then make the daily call.
Thanks.

petestrash
06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
We use Bigpond and for some reason DNS would not resolve www.oztivo.net.
Changing the /etc/oztivo.conf file line from www.oztivo.net to 65.49.60.197 did the trick for our Tivo's. Once the file is changed we needed to reboot and then make the daily call.
Thanks.

Hi Hutch, welcome to the forums. Your suggestion has already been tried, see post #9

Try replacing www.oztivo.net with 65.49.60.197 in /etc/oztivo.conf reboot and try again.

Please read the threads before posting, but thanks for trying.

Peter.

JustinD
07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Justin,

You should never edit a file on your PC as most programs will cause errors in the file when put on your TiVo unless precautions are taken.

If you get access try dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf then reboot.

Peter.

I will not use the PC again to modify a file - lesson learnt.
I connected through a serial cable. When I ran the line (with hyperterminal) you gave me the output was:

[TiVo [S3] ~]# dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf
dos2unix: converting file /etc/tclient.conf to UNIX format ...
dos2unix: problems renaming './u2dtmpa00323' to '/etc/tclient.conf'
output file remains in './u2dtmpa00323'
dos2unix: problems converting file /etc/tclient.conf

I then, after rebooting, did ifconfig but it only showed the local connection and not the ethernet (not sure if it means anything).
I am still unable to connect through my network. Also when the tivo rebooted it didn't provide a message on the tivo screen (TV) showing its IP. I then did the nic_config command and it returned nothing in the current config. as if it didn't have one.

Oh, what have I done?
What would you suggest?

thanks,
Justin

petestrash
08-10-2008, 12:10 AM
try these commands
rw
dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf
ro

See if it runs better for you.

Peter.

JustinD
08-10-2008, 05:11 AM
I ran it as you asked and got :
[TiVo [S3] ~]# rw
File system is now READ/WRITE.
[TiVo [S3] ~]# dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf
dos2unix: converting file /etc/tclient.conf to UNIX format ...
dos2unix: problems converting file /etc/tclient.conf

still don't have networking

Open to any suggestions. I hope I don't have to redo the disk :(

Also, I was unable to do the full PPP and thats why I used Hyperterm. I didn't seem to get an incoming on the tivo bootup. My network is setup so that my linksys router will give out 2 DHCP addresses and then sets the IP for the remainder IPs based on what I have setup with them (through Tomato firmware). I am not sure if this caused my PPP to fail. I tried both setting an IP address and then using DHCP on the incoming connection but was unsure whose IP I was dealing with, etc.

petestrash
08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Alright, just some background. were you trying ppp to fix the problems or is that what you regularily use? do you have a network card?

can you type:
cat /etc/oztivo.conf

This should show what is in the file now.

Peter.

JustinD
08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Alright, just some background. were you trying ppp to fix the problems or is that what you regularily use? do you have a network card?

can you type:
cat /etc/oztivo.conf

This should show what is in the file now.

Peter.
When I get home I will input what you have written.

I lost network access when I uploaded the oztivo.conf file after making the change of name to IP (as per the thread). I assumed that because I didn't give the file the correct permissions I couldn't access the tivo (which I normally do through my home network/wireless bridge and a turbonet card).

I had purchased a serial cable from Darren back in April 2006 when you helped me get the tivo going (I moved back from the US with a tivo). I only mention PPP as I assumed possibly I could telnet in a "good" version of the conf file and then reboot and move on.

I am unsure whether any assumption I have is valid or not. :confused:

JustinD
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
The output was:

TiVo [S3] ~]# cat /etc/oztivo.conf
# OzTiVo menu configuration settings file
# Please do not edit this file
# Run the nic_config_tivo tool to reconfigure
nic=TurboNet
ip=192.168.1.140
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.1.1
mac=00:0B:AD:10:10:10
timing=4
hostname=oztivo
emulator=65.49.60.197
emulatorport=80
[TiVo [S3] ~]#

petestrash
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
setting up a PPP connection relies upon oztivo.conf. You cannot have bash (what you are using now) and PPP running on serial at the same time.

Peter.

petestrash
08-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Your post came through while I was typing mine.

Ok, do you know how to use vi or joe on your TiVo?

Peter.

JustinD
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Your post came through while I was typing mine.

Ok, do you know how to use vi or joe on your TiVo?

Peter.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I was at a bike maintenance class. :o
I don't know how to use them (vi or joe) but I am willing to learn if you want to reference something that I could look at and then monkey what you tell me.

petestrash
09-10-2008, 01:56 AM
It's probably easiest for you to start with the joe editor. Use these (http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Software/HowToEditFilesUsingJoe) instruction as the basics.

I would like you to do the following commands on your TiVo:

cd /etc
rw
mv oztivo.conf oztivo.bad
joe oztivo.conf

This should move the bad file and open the joe editor. Copy the lines below and paste them into joe (right click to paste).

# OzTiVo menu configuration settings file
# Please do not edit this file, unless you know what you are doing.
# it is better to run the nic_config_tivo tool to reconfigure instead.
nic=TurboNet
ip=192.168.1.140
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.1.1
mac=00:0B:AD:10:10:10
timing=16
hostname=oztivo
emulator=65.49.60.197
emulatorport=9090

Then press CTRL+k then x. to save and exit.

Then type reboot to reboot, and see how you go.

Peter.

JustinD
09-10-2008, 06:07 AM
It worked! Thank you.
I have been able to go into the tivo with tivoweb and Putty.

But I went to tivoweb and asked it to do a daily call and it came back saying
"Failed. No dial-in number chosen.":(
I have not seen that message before. What do I need to edit now?

Also, just as a probably unrelated side note (it might have some bearing), I haven't been receiving any email posts from the oztivo mailing list since this all occurred (inability to download guide data) early last week. I guess, maybe people haven't been posting.........BTW my ISP is Bigpong

petestrash
09-10-2008, 07:33 PM
The last mailing list posting was by me about 20 minutes ago. If you are not getting messages then you may have a problem with your mail getting through, but is it not associated with your TiVo failing.

Was there any other file you edited?

Can you attach a copy of your /var/log/tclient log here.

Peter.

JustinD
09-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I have attached the file.
No, I didn't edit any other file.
Also , I have gone through all the network diagnostics that you have in the Wiki and it all worked with flying colours.

petestrash
10-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Ok, your DialConfig setting seems to be missing.

Go into TiVoWeb(Plus)'s MFS module, and click on State, then PhoneConfig.

Can you please copy the details from that page and paste here.

Peter.

JustinD
10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
PhoneConfig 2359/10 {
Version = 17718
CallWaitingPrefix = {}
LocalAreaCode = 003
TollFreeNum = 0
DialInAreaCode = {}
DialInPrefix = {}
DialInNum = 1272240
LastDialInUpdateDate = 14152
InventoryFile = {}
LastSuccessCallSecInDay = 1222762637
LastSuccessPgdCallSecInDay = 1222762637
DialConfig = 127
DialPrefix = ,#401
LastCallAttemptSecInDay = 1223665516
CallStatusInfo = 48
LastCallStatus = Failed
NextCallAttemptSecInDay = 1223683681
IndexPath = /State/PhoneConfig

petestrash
10-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Did you perhaps also try editing tclient.conf?

Peter.

JustinD
11-10-2008, 05:57 AM
No -I only edited oztivo.conf as it was mentioned in this thread and I was having problems with the guide and failed calls. If the tivo is working its best left well alone (in my opinion). That said, last night I did try and edit resolv.conf as per a post in the mailing group, putting in some other name servers (I think thats what it did)

eg. echo nameserver ..../etc/resolv.conf

But otherwise nothing. No point in trying to edit them if I have no clue, and I only tried resolv.conf since I am a bit desperate. As I said, I can do a passable monkey impression

petestrash
11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Can you post your /etc/tclient.conf file (cat /etc/tclient.conf).

Peter.

JustinD
11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I have included two files. One is the tclient.conf.orig and another is tclient.conf.oztivo

petestrash
12-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok, Then for some reason you no longer have the needed tclient.conf file.

Try these commands one after the other.

rw
cp /etc/tclient.conf-oztivo /etc/tclient.conf
ro
reboot

Then try a daily call again.

Peter.

JustinD
12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
thanks. it seems to be downloading and indexing the guilde data now.

I guess when I did ftp'd the other day something must have happened:confused:

Anyway, seems to work now. thanks!

Also, now I have got my serial connection thingy setup if I run into further issues at some point. Also, I know now to only use Joe or something similar for edits

petestrash
12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Good to hear, never hurts to learn something new.

Peter

TimMills
14-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Mine was also having the same problems running 1.6 (I'm with Telstra)

replacing the oztivo.conf lines with IP numbers rather than DNS entries fixed mine.

(I also edited the host file but this didnt seem to fix it) - Possibly local to the TivoDNS problems but strange we've all the same problem at the same time.

petestrash
14-10-2008, 10:42 PM
There were some Australian DNS servers that did not resolve our address correctly around the 3-4 of October, but that should have been well and truly cleared by now.

Peter.