PDA

View Full Version : series 1 OzTiVo versus TiVoHD

NerdCat
24-08-2008, 08:29 AM
G'day,

Im relatively new to TiVo, at what seems to me a confusing time. While the need to get a series 1 TiVo and hack it is clear when there is no Australian alternative, would I be right in concluding the reasons for purchasing a series 1 are less clear now that an Australian version is available ?

If Im correct the main issue would now be price - ie around $650 - $700 versus roughly $460 all up for an equivalent but used/unwarranted series 1 setup (by which I mean : approx : series 1 $50, postage $80, network card $80, digital set top box $100, 200G drive $150).

Of course to conclude this I need to decide some obvious fundamental differences are not important to me, like the inability to ad-skip, the fact the recorded data is encrypted, and the lack of advanced features (ie those promised for next year).

I also need to live with only being able to record one channel at a time.

I also need to ignore the subjective issues, such as ownership/control by Channel 7 (a subject definitely for other posts !!)

I also need to assume that the new TiVos either already have all the features offered by the OzTiVo image, or that they can be added in a similar manner (and I like to tinker !).

But if I assume all of the above, am I on the right track here ? Or if I get a series 1 for the sake of saving $200 will I regret it sometime soon ?

Im hoping there are some experienced OzTiVo users that can either set me straight or agree that I have it pretty much right, or alternately point me to the post I cant find anywhere that discusses this very issue in great detail !

Comments are most welcome please . . .

Darren King
24-08-2008, 10:44 AM
would I be right in concluding the reasons for purchasing a series 1 are less clear now that an Australian version is available ?
Depends. If you want to receive FTA TV in HD then the new TiVoHD is for you. However if you need to record Foxtel or some other external A/V source then the TiVoHD won't do that.

If Im correct the main issue would now be price - ie around $650 - $700 versus roughly $460 all up for an equivalent but used/unwarranted series 1 setup (by which I mean : approx : series 1 $50, postage $80, network card $80, digital set top box $100, 200G drive $150).
Probably even cheaper than that. STB can be had for under $30 and 200G drives are under $100.

I also need to live with only being able to record one channel at a time. Yes that is a limitation of the Series 1.

I also need to ignore the subjective issues, such as ownership/control by Channel 7 (a subject definitely for other posts !!) If that is an issue then don't buy a TiVoHD

I also need to assume that the new TiVos either already have all the features offered by the OzTiVo image, or that they can be added in a similar manner (and I like to tinker !). No it does not and no you cannot add them. If you like to tinker then a Series 1 is for you.

But if I assume all of the above, am I on the right track here ? Or if I get a series 1 for the sake of saving $200 will I regret it sometime soon ? If you are implying that Series 1 units are dead because of the TiVoHD then that is an incorrect assumption. You really are comparing apples with oranges to compare a Series 1 OzTiVo to a TiVoHD

Im hoping there are some experienced OzTiVo users that can either set me straight or agree that I have it pretty much right, or alternately point me to the post I cant find anywhere that discusses this very issue in great detail ! To start with I have moved this thread to the TiVoHD area as it is essentially a TiVoHD subject.

petestrash
24-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I certainly agree with all Darren's points, but should also add that if you have a good HD TV then TiVoHD does look stunning via HDMI or Component and also passes Dolby through to an Amplifier if you have one. If you have a regular TV, then TiVoHD still looks sharper, but not such a big difference.

Peter.

NerdCat
24-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Thankyou for your reply Darren. Very informative, thanks. It has mostly made the choice easy for me. Thanks for moving the post - my apologies :)

I should add more background info before querying one response, as follows :

My primary/sole reason for wanting a TiVo is for an easy to use FTA recording device for the family to replace the failed interfaces between family members, a VHS recorder, lots of tapes, a book and a pen, resulting in lots of incorrectly recorded channels, completely missed programs and remembering a show is on when away for the weekend (btw can the series 1 do this (remote access scheduling) ?) and many tears.

Although I will get a set top box, that is purely because my wife wants ABC2 and for no other reason. I have no plans to upgrade my recently purchased 2 analogue TVs to HD in the forseable future. Nor do I have or plan to get foxtel or other paytv. Im a very undemanding user, but the VHS problems drive me crazy !

I also love to tinker, and everything I own has been dismantled and/or modified where possible. For me that alone almost makes the decision.

So your answers have me thinking the series 1 is the way to go for me. However, out of interest, would you explain why you say that if I did want FTA HD TV the new box is the way to go ? Due to the above I know little (read nothing) of FTA HD TV. Obviously the series 1 isn't the right answer for HD TV should I ever change my mind ?

In fact Im still trying to understand the (2?) inputs and outputs to the series 1 OzTivo and how it selects channels when the channel will presumably be controlled by the STB . . . but looking around the site I deduce there is some interface between TiVo and STB that allows the STB to be controlled by the TiVo although I cant find no direct explanation, probably because its too basic ! - even the OzTiVo setup notes seem to infer some knowledge of this beforehand, which is fair enough . . . although the manual download links seem to be broken and they might otherwise help me out.

Colin

Darren King
24-08-2008, 05:25 PM
My primary/sole reason for wanting a TiVo is for an easy to use FTA recording device for the family to replace the failed interfaces between family members, a VHS recorder, lots of tapes, a book and a pen, resulting in lots of incorrectly recorded channels, completely missed programs and remembering a show is on when away for the weekend (btw can the series 1 do this (remote access scheduling) ?) and many tears.
The Series 1 ceretainly can remember to record something if you have set up a "season pass" and also you can use TiVoWEB to remote access the TiVo via the internet to schedule recordings. So you actually have two ways to do it.

Obviously the series 1 isn't the right answer for HD TV should I ever change my mind ? The Series 1 is not capable of HD. So all video material, be it HD or SD, inputted to the Series 1 will be downgraded to SD on the output.

In fact Im still trying to understand the (2?) inputs and outputs to the series 1 OzTivo and how it selects channels when the channel will presumably be controlled by the STB . . . but looking around the site I deduce there is some interface between TiVo and STB that allows the STB to be controlled by the TiVo although I cant find no direct explanation, probably because its too basic ! A standard unmodified Series 1 USA machine has one A/V input as standard but you can modify it for two via something known as the "2nd Audio input mod" and details of this are explained on my website and the oztivo website. The TiVo uses an IR transmitter (known as an "IR Blaster") to control the STB via IR signals that mimic the original remote control. These codes are in a database and selected upon setup.

NerdCat
26-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Thankyou Darren. Im off reading up on IR blasters and the like - Ive been pointed in the right direction thankyou :-). Better late than never, Ill be joining the Oz series 1 owning community shorty . . .

petestrash
26-08-2008, 04:10 PM
...even the OzTiVo setup notes seem to infer some knowledge of this beforehand, which is fair enough . . . although the manual download links seem to be broken and they might otherwise help me out.

Can you please let me know which links are broken, and I'll endeavour to have them fixed.

Peter.

NerdCat
27-08-2008, 07:04 AM
I certainly can. The links are those under 'standard OzTiVo operations' on this page :

http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/Software/UserManual16

So for example clicking on chapter 2 for this link :

http://www.oztivo.net/oztivofiles/manuals/Viewers_guide/Ch2_Basics.pdf

gives :

Not Found

The requested URL /oztivofiles/manuals/Viewers_guide/Ch2_Basics.pdf was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.3 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g Server at www.oztivo.net Port 80

Colin

petestrash
29-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks,

The whole manuals folder seems to be missing from the new server. It looks like they were not moved across. I'll find them and fix it, but in the meantime they are all available from tivo.com

Peter.

petestrash
31-08-2008, 03:37 AM
All fixed now.

Peter.

NerdCat
31-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Thankyou. Ive downloaded and am already reading :eek: