PDA

View Full Version : Game console Query

LiveToRide
22-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey all, ive just recently purchased a tivo series 1 after weighing up my options with ch7s tivo. What my plan is to do is to install the pal tuner so i can use my other ports for the xbox360

Now i was just wondering if anyone has tried this befoure? Because at the min i have a capture card and having my 360 into that via an s-video port! So i asume that i should be able to connect it now directly into my tivo? Help would be appreciated. Thanks Daniel

Darren King
22-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Two things:

1. Yes you can input a games console... *but* because there is about a 1-second delay for the TiVo to process A/V from input to output (yes, even with "live" content) you will quickly realise there is a delay between what you see on the screen compared to what your games console is actually doing. An A/V switchbox to switch between your games console and the TiVo output to your TV would be the solution here.

2. Instead of installing a PAL tuner if you really do need two inputs you would be better to do the 2nd Audio mod and feeding in a cheap digital STB. Less modification, much cheaper with the ever falling price of SD STB these days, and overall more channels and cleaner picture this way.

LiveToRide
22-08-2008, 03:09 PM
In regards to sujestion one - What i have with the 360 is an after market cable, this one here(http://www.joytech.net/1/products/xbox360/4/58/Digital-AV-Cable---COMPONENT.htm)
Which involes a S-video output, Normal av, and high definition av.

How i have my setup is now im using the high definition plugs from the joytech cable into my tv, and the s-video into my capture card. So what it really doing is playing two images out of my xbox, One into my tv and the other into my capture card.

So really in theroy it should operate as normal and if anything record to my tivo in a one second delay?

And to sujestion two - So instead of doing a pal mod, do the 2nd out put and have one for the xbox and buy a digital stbis what your saying.I have a 6th month old Lg lcd, which obviously converts my standard image into high def, but it dosnt have an output.

So what i should do is buy the stb, run aerial into the input obviously, run the output of the box into my tv and run the avs to my tivo? Correct?

Darren King
22-08-2008, 03:24 PM
So really in theroy it should operate as normal and if anything record to my tivo in a one second delay?
So long as you are only recording the xbox360 then it will work fine. I misunderstood that you might have wanted to use the TiVo en route to the TV exclusively while trying to play a game. That *will* work too, but the processing delay will get frustrating really quick with action games that need fast reaction :D

And to sujestion two - So instead of doing a pal mod, do the 2nd out put and have one for the xbox and buy a digital stbis what your saying.
Correct. I just thought I would mention it so you could get more channels. There was a time when STB prices were high and no additional channels on digital that a PAL tuner was an option. These days not so. Although there is nothing to stop you putting a PAL tuner in if that is really what you wanted.

So what i should do is buy the stb, run aerial into the input obviously, run the output of the box into my tv and run the avs to my tivo? Correct?
Correct :)

LiveToRide
22-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks heaps for you help Darren, i think it will be best if i do the second output mod. For what i need i think it suits it best, And it sounds like the the xbox should work fine :P, ill let you know how it goes when i get it setup ethire way! . Thanks very much again for your help!