PDA

View Full Version : Picture Comparison for New TivoHD

Omnialpha
21-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey All, Picked up my new Tivo HD on Friday last week and spent the weekend doing a comparison.

Tivo HD v Tivo S1
Tivo HD v LG 4100 STB

I did a side by side comparison using 2 x 50PX LG Plasmas, looking mainly at picture quality improvements of the Tivo HD over the S1 with the 4100 as the digital source. And this is what I found...

S1 menu is a lot smoother with less glitches than the Tivo HD.
S1 menu is faster than the Tivo HD
Using the 4100 straight into the plasma (no S1), the digital picture quality was less (noticeably) pixilated than the Tivo HD...sometimes, mainly this happened only when the Tivo HD was recording a program while watching live TV.

And now those buggers over at Seven have removed my wonderful music streaming option....

Saying all this I still love it so much (Tivo HD), that I went out and purchased another unit...may even increase it to 3 sometimes in the near future....that is when the prices come down a little more
:)

petestrash
21-07-2008, 09:35 PM
When comparing the output of the TiVoHD to the LG 4100 direct, did you use the same physical connection (cvbs/svhs) and what output mode were they both in?

Peter.

Hellerphant
22-07-2008, 09:44 AM
All I know is that the TiVo HD picture quality is a better one than my Digital TV Tuner inbuilt into my Bravia X Series, and that's not to say that the X Series tuner is dodgy, but there is definately a noticable quality jump there

Omnialpha
22-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Hello, I used the same connection for all my testing which was the component RGB with optical out.

petestrash
22-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks did you have the TiVo set to native?

Peter

Omnialpha
22-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Sure did, both going for 1080i...Sorry that I forgot to add this info earlier