PDA

View Full Version : Phone Failed. No dial-in number chosen.

reikioz
21-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi,
Need help. I was having trouble with my Philips Series 1 keeping time (kept loosing 11 hours. So I tried bash the time in, but it didn't hold. Eventually I gave up and asked Darren to check the Hardware (Thanks Darren) which seems to be fine. So I upgraded my S/W from 1.3 to 1.6.2. Everything seems to have worked until I get to guided setup and try the phone call. It fails. and I get the "No dail-in number chosen.

Can anyone help me.
Ta

Frank

petestrash
23-03-2008, 03:44 AM
The two issues are probably related.

Was darren able to make time calls when he tested it?

You either have a networking issue at home or a proxy issue with your ISP.

Try running the time call manually?

ntpdate -bv 132.163.4.103

Peter.

Darren King
23-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Was darren able to make time calls when he tested it?

On my test hard disk, yes. On the original supplied hard disk I did not try as the TiVo booted into Guided Setup mode with the supplied hard disk and also due to the original hard disk being a rather old V1.3 r1 release I advised to image up a test hard disk with the latest 1.6.2 image and see if that rectified the issues and if it did to then upgrade or reinstall the original hard disk. I am on the understanding that the problem presenting itself now relates to this fresh image on a test hard disk.

You either have a networking issue at home or a proxy issue with your ISP.

That's what I suggested would be the most likely cause given it had no issues with me and I suggested to come here and ask for help as software/networking is not my strong suit.

petestrash
23-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry Darren just to clarify, you did not supply or image the 'new' hard disk and only tested the mainboard with your own drive.

Peter.

reikioz
24-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Darren only loaded his test HD onto the chassis to check whether the motherboard was faulty. He established that the hardware was fine and gave the Tivo back. I then upgraded the tivo by doing a netupdate instead of a Clean install of 1.6.2. And when I do guided set-up, I get the phone failure message.

My ISP is bigpond and I connect the tivo directly to my router. The initial reason for taking the Tivo to Darren was that around the 26/27 of Feb, the Tivo lost 12 hours. I tried several more phone-in's but the problem remained, and after following the time thread discussions on the Forum, I bashed a new time into the thing, but it didn't hold after I did a forced phone call into minnie and then rebooted.... So off to Darren we went. It may be possible that some files didn't update correctly with the upgrade from 1.3 - 1.6. Is there anyway that I can get a list of what files should be on the Tivo?

Thanks,

Frank

petestrash
24-03-2008, 11:57 AM
could you please run the time call in post 2

Peter

reikioz
24-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Did ntpdate and this is the result:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# ntpdate -bv 132.163.4.103
oztivo ntpdate $Revision: 1.21 $
sh: /var/hack/bin/get_postalcode: No such file or directory
Failed to read from get_postalcode pipe: No such file or directory

Hmmm...what to do next?

reikioz
24-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh, and I tried to do a net update and here's what happened:

[TiVo [p1] ~]# update_oztivo -y
File system is now READ/WRITE.
Fetching new files from the oztivo Emulator, details shown below:
rsync -rvltpD 131.244.9.101::oztivo_1.6 . --exclude-from=/etc/update_exclude
rsync: failed to connect to 131.244.9.101: Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /usr/src/tivo/rsync-2.6.7/clientserver.c(107) [receiver]
File system is now READ ONLY.
[TiVo [p1] ~]#

Frank

petestrash
25-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Ok, so your TiVo seems to have almost no connection to the outside world.

Try the suggested (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingHowto#Configuration_and_Diagnostics) tests on our networking wiki and post the results here.

Peter

reikioz
25-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks.. I'll do it over the next couple of days (so little to do and so much time to do it in!) and post the results.

Thanks,

Frank