PDA

View Full Version : bypass phone call during installation

kt_nz
03-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

Is there anyway to bypass the connection to the external site that is required during setup?
I have ordered a cachecard from 9thtee in the US but it's been 10 days and 4 unanswered emails since the order and it's still not arrived :mad:
So, I still want to set up the Tivo without the network support but don't have a phone line in the appartment.
From what I've read the Tivo can be set up to operate without the EPG (I guess tell t to switch the STB to chanel xxx at hh:mm and record for xx minutes.

So... cna I bypass the phone call required during set up? If so how pelase?

Also; does anyone know of another supplier of the cachecard, or equivelant, that might give better service? The TurboNZet card isn't available.
Oh, also need a replacement IR blaster (was also supposed to be coming from 9thtee :mad: ) - can anyone tell me where I can get one from please?

Thanks all

Kevin

petestrash
03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
9th tee have been a reliable, but expensive source of TiVo parts for years. Give them a little more time.

Without completing GD you won't have the STB setup so the TiVo can't change channels.

It is possible to set everything manually, but it is a real painful process.

Why not try using pppondss instead it would be much simpler.

Peter.

kt_nz
04-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks Pete for the reply.

I'm giving 9thtee some more time based upon their reputation... but they have taken my money, sent me 2 emails about accepting the order and confirming receipt of my money, and failed to respond to any of my subsequent communications (email and PM on tivocommunities) despite saying on their web site that they will respond the same day. Just a single email to say that the shipment is delayed would be appreciated!

Can you explain what "ppponds" is please or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

petestrash
04-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Can you explain what "ppponds" is please or point me in the right direction?

pppondss means running a ppp service over a serial connection (no network card required).

have a read of this (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/SerialPPPWithXP) wiki.

Peter.

kt_nz
05-02-2008, 05:17 AM
That'll be easy as I have a PC next to the TV (old MCE system for showing divx's on the TV) and that's networked.

Thanks.