PDA

View Full Version : Call Failed Interrupted

vmancini
18-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I've been running my Tivo for over a year now and it's been running pretty well until the 14/12/07. I haven't been able to complete a daily call since then, I get a Call Failed. Interrupted message. The test daily call function works and I have been through the network troubleshooting guide with everything working.

Any Idea's? I remember there's a log somewhere to check but I can't seem to find the post regarding it.

Thanks Guys,

Vito

Wibble
18-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Any Idea's? I remember there's a log somewhere to check but I can't seem to find the post regarding it.
Vito

Use the following to get to the logs:
ftp://YOURTIVOADDRESS/var/log

vmancini
18-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks Wibble, do you know what I should be looking for with this problem I'm having?

Wibble
19-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks Wibble, do you know what I should be looking for with this problem I'm having?

Not offhand, and I'm not familiar with the OZ guide data (I use the NZ :) )

You should start looking at the logs before and after the fault and see if you can spot any difference.

Also the 1st thing to check for general flackyness specially on an older setup is a failing disk.

vmancini
20-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks Wibble,

I've read up some posts about disk's and how much havoc they cause when they start misbehaving and I think that could be the cause of this problem. Unfortunately, I've got no idea about how to check the disk and repair if necessary... the posts talk about unmounting the drive and running all these commands, what does this mean? Any clues on what to do? The family gets a little frustrated when things don't run smoothly and guess who's in the firing line...

Thanks again,

Vito

vmancini
21-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi,

just an update on what's happening with my Tivo. I followed the CameronJust howto on uploading the manual guide data and it worked but the weird thing is that when I went to put the downloaded files into /var/packages the files already existed. Minnie told me that it couldn't confirm that the files have been downloaded.

I uploaded the new files and within a few minutes it was working. Thanks CameronJust

Still can't do force daily call though, still the same response.

It seems like the problem is with one of the scripts that input the data, any suggestions?

Regards,

Vito Mancini

petestrash
25-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Who is your ISP, TPG have just added new proxies to some of their network causing calls to fail.

Peter.

vmancini
26-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm with Optusnet ADSL. BTW i'm using guide data from NS02680 and NS02016 if that means anything.

Thanks,

Vito

vmancini
26-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Update:

I've been using the manualUpload (http://131.244.9.101/twiki/bin/view/Guidedata/ManualGuideDataLoadingToTivo) script from CameronJust to upload the guide data. Now I've also been trying to force daily calls as well.

I downloaded the guide data as per instructions and went to upload them into tivo. I noticed there were .gz files in the tivo /var/packages directory. I then decided to run the manualUpload script with the files in the directory instead of uploading the other packages i downloaded and received this error:

gzip: NS02016_13861-13875.slice.gz: unexpected end of file
ls: *.slice: No such file or directory
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

I am starting to believe that NS02016_13861-13875.slice.gz is corrupt and is jamming the force daily call script as it is the first file showing up slice logs http://minnie.tuhs.org/tivo-bin/myslices.pl as being "may be downloaded"

I've deleted all the packages and ran force daily call, it still failed and the fresh packages were in the /var/packages directory. I re-ran the manualUpload script and it still failed.

Since NS02016_13861-13875.slice.gz no longer is needed by my Tivo, can i modify an internal log to stop it from downloading it? There seems to be a log on minnie that may need to be changed as well.

What do you think of my idea?

Vito

petestrash
26-12-2007, 11:54 PM
You can safely load the next slice produced. We are unaware of any issues with NS02016_13861-13875.slice.gz and it's is a popular headend so others would have complained.

The real issue is why can't your TiVo make the daily call.

Try the proxy test I posted 4 Sep on the bottom of the BypassTransparentProxyServer (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/BypassTransparentProxyServer) wiki.

Peter.

vmancini
27-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi Peter,

I just had a look at the wiki, the problem is that I'm running a mac so I did the 17 Aug 07 test which the system passed.

Does Tivo connect to Minnie via FTP? should I try and follow manual upload but FTP directly from the Tivo?

Vito

vmancini
27-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I've re-run the network troubleshooting guide and found this problem:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# wget http://131.244.9.101/index.html
--11:57:49-- http://131.244.9.101/index.html
=> `index.html'
Connecting to 131.244.9.101:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 7,388 [text/html]

0% [ ] 0 --.--K/s 0% [ ] 7,388 0.00B/s ETA 00:00

Last-modified header invalid -- time-stamp ignored.
11:57:49 (0.00 GB/s) - `index.html' saved [7388/7388]

-------------------

Does: Last-modified header invalid -- time-stamp ignored. indicate a problem?

Regards,

Vito

petestrash
27-12-2007, 11:08 AM
TiVo doesn't use FTP, it uses HTTP which is why there is an issue with proxies. A manual FTP will work regardless of a Proxy, but a call home won't work. Unfortunately the earlier test is not much good as it rarely picks up any proxies.

We have had people with Optus proxy issues.

What the windows program does is trace the route taken for HTTP requests vs FTP requests. There may be a Mac equivilent.

You can also try the following commands on your TiVo which produces similar results.

traceroute -p 80 ftp.monash.edu.au
traceroute -p 21 ftp.monash.edu.au

And post the replies here.

Peter.

petestrash
27-12-2007, 11:09 AM
I've re-run the network troubleshooting guide and found this problem:
<snip>
Does: Last-modified header invalid -- time-stamp ignored. indicate a problem?

No, that is normal and wget has worked ok.

Peter.

vmancini
27-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Attached are the outputs from traceroute. I hope you can make sense of the data. I'm looking for a Mac version at the moment, if I find something I'll let you know.

Thanks again Peter,

Vito

vmancini
27-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I've tried a program called path analyzer pro (http://www.pathanalyzer.com) It outputs into CSV files which I think Excel does open. Hope this helps.

Vito

petestrash
29-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Pathanalyzer doesn't show any proxy, but the traceroute shows a different path on the file labeled port21.txt. which is strange, is it possible you have may have misslabeled the file?

Peter.

vmancini
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi

Sorry I was away for a few day's but I ran traceroute a few times and thats how it came out, I thought it was a little weird.

I've attached fresh versions of the files if you want to compare.

Still have no clue on what is wrong here, is there a simple way to check the hard disk for errors?

Regards,

Vito

vmancini
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
UPDATE:

I have talked to some family members who thought that Tivo did update its TV guide data while I was away, i didn't believe them. But strangely yesterday it did connect and download data so this is really weird. It's missed todays schedule to connect and forcing daily calls are still bringing back Failed. Service Unavailable messages.

Still stumping me.

Vito

petestrash
20-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Sorry, I've been away.

You are still labeling the the .txt files port81 and port21. can you confirm that you are actually testing port 80 and port 21?

Peter.