PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Tivo

erhan75
26-08-2007, 03:41 PM
hi, i want to buy a tivo in australia and dunno where and what to buy?
i heard sony has one but there pretty rare unless you buy it from the US and from ebay.

any suggestions?

e

Darren King
26-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Your best bet is to have a look at what is on Australian ebay www.ebay.com.au using the search word tivo as there is usually a few that pop up every month from people moving on either overseas or to non-TiVo technology.

Failing that your only other alternative is to look on USA ebay www.ebay.com. You can pick up suitable ones fairly cheaply but international shipping costs can be high.

As for what is suitable I have a section on my website that should explain that (hopefully) relatively clearly or you can look on the OzTiVo website that also has plenty of information.

The Sony SVR2000 TiVo is not as plentiful as a Philips TiVo. You will only be buying a Sony if it is for aesthetic (look) reasons as they have no functional difference to the Philips version being totally identical inside with only a different style casing and different style remote.

No I do not sell TiVo's

No there is no longer any Australian resellers

erhan75
26-08-2007, 07:43 PM
thanks kingsley.. i was looking at buying the sony 2000, if i buy this do i need to do any mods for my selectv pay tv? Its just rca leads and my FTA digital set top box.

erhan

Darren King
26-08-2007, 08:06 PM
One external STB: no modifications required

Two external STB's: you will need the 2nd A/V input modification

erhan75
26-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks Darren, so what other makes and models should I look at that doesnt need mod?

Sony SVR-2000 Tivo is one that im looking at buying,
but are there ant others you suggest?

I thought the Sony was NTSC? Does that mean I dont use the tuner only the AV inputs?
Oh & can i get EPG running on this as well for austar?

Also if i wanted 2 STB inputs could you do that mod for me?

cheers

erhan

Darren King
26-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks Darren, so what other makes and models should I look at that doesnt need mod? Sony SVR-2000 Tivo is one that im looking at buying, but are there any others you suggest?

Like I said previously there is a section devoted to this on my website in the "Buying A TiVo" area. (hint: link to it is in my signature at the bottom of my posts). The OzTiVo website also has some information too.

I thought the Sony was NTSC? Does that mean I dont use the tuner only the AV inputs?

Yes it is and so is the Philips but they can use PAL through the A/V input with the OzTiVo software. You cannot use the factory fitted tuner as this will not recognise our PAL transmission standards.

Oh & can i get EPG running on this as well for austar?

There is EPG for Austar, yes.

Also if i wanted 2 STB inputs could you do that mod for me?

Yes.

erhan75
26-08-2007, 09:30 PM
thanks darren, im on the hunt for the sony from ther US now :)

will keep in touch for support and yes will donate to your great website.

erhan

Darren King
26-08-2007, 09:52 PM
If you take a moment to check the "TiVo's For Sale In Oz" section of my website you will see there is actually a Sony SVR2000 in Australia for sale right now if it helps you any.

erhan75
27-08-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah i saw that but for the same price i brought one from the US. $120 including postage for the sony svr2000.

Just wondering what size HDD can i put in one of these? So i can buy one and image it when it arrives.

i think i might need to wait a few weeks :(

e

erhan75
27-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Darren, ive been reading about these phone line issue, what this phone line for? Is it for the EPG? I was thinking of getting the Turbonet LAN card so i can get the epg via broadband, would this be possible?

If so what are other users doing? Using dial up?

Erhan

Darren King
27-08-2007, 05:36 PM
If you got it sent economy (surface) mail then you can expect to wait anything up to 16 weeks but it may turn up as soon as 8. 12 weeks is average.

If you got it sent Air Mail then you can expect to wait anything up to four weeks with usually an average of two.

Regarding hard disks the sky is the limit (yes, even the really big 750GB ones) with only two things you need to consider:

1. DO NOT USE SATA. TiVo's do not support SATA interface hard disks. Only standard IDE type.

2. You can use two hard disks if you wish but you will need another hard disk bracket for mounting the second hard disk and if you choose Seagate brand then you MUST read the warning on this webpage: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk#Seagate_7200_9_7200_10_hard_driv

Rule of thumb is that you get consumption of 2GB per hour of recording at "high quality" recording and 2.5GB per hour at "best quality".

Also if your purchase did not include a network card you will need to get one of these too. You won't get very far without one as it will be a lot more difficult to do the initial setup and EPG download without it.

Darren King
27-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Darren, ive been reading about these phone line issue, what this phone line for? Is it for the EPG? I was thinking of getting the Turbonet LAN card so i can get the epg via broadband, would this be possible? If so what are other users doing? Using dial up?

Most use broadband and Turbonet. Please use this option as it is the standard that most use. Dial up is not a viable option for the majority for reasons you have already read about.

catdog
27-08-2007, 06:41 PM
If you got it sent economy (surface) mail then you can expect to wait anything up to 16 weeks but it may turn up as soon as 8. 12 weeks is average.

If you got it sent Air Mail then you can expect to wait anything up to four weeks with usually an average of two.
USPS killed the surface mail option a while ago... they only offer Air Mail now (cheapest is Priority Mail International)

Darren King
27-08-2007, 07:50 PM
OK thanks. I rarely used it but based on my limited experience of doing so and what others reported it is probably a good thing they have done so as it was painfully slow.

But on the upside it was relatively cheap if you were not in a hurry. :)

erhan75
28-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I just emailed him so ill find out how he’s going to send it.
Darren ill buy a IDE HDD from www.msy.com.au they are pretty cheap from this computer store. Might get a 300gb.

I have a few questions for you though if that’s ok.

1. Which ISO image do i download for the HDD which will work with the SVR2000.

2. Is the EPG included in the oztivo image?

3. Where can I buy a Turbonet card from @ a cheap price or the going rate?

4. Is the Turbonet easy to install like a PCI card in a PC?

5. Do i need drivers for turbonet or is it just plug n play?

6. Can i get the SRV-2000 to work with my Satellite Receiver and get EPG for Selectv and Austar?

7. Can I control the Strong 4658x Sat Receiver with the Sony SVR Remote?

8. Can I record something from the EPG and will the Strong change the channel automatically or would I need to set up the epg/timer on the receiver as well?

9. Can I run the Sat Receiver & Digital Set top box at the same time? (When i get the 2nd RCA input done by you)

10. Is it worth getting a PAL tuner for the SVR? Or is 2 RCA inputs enough?

that’s all I’d to know :)
Erhan

Darren King
29-08-2007, 06:24 AM
That's a LOT of questions, most of which are answered on these forums or on the OzTiVo website. To be fair I am answering these in a very basic one liner response but I think it is time you did a bit of research on your own as most of these are basic questions that have been covered (I've tried to give hints to look around in previous posts) and in all honesty most of these really should have been asked before even purchasing the TiVo not the other way around as it helps you make a decision on whether a TiVo is right for you or not.

Anyway, here we go:

Might get a 300gb.
Fine. 150/120 hours recording time.

1. Which ISO image do i download for the HDD which will work with the SVR2000.
The latest R1.6.2 OzTiVo image works with all suitable Series 1 TiVo's.

2. Is the EPG included in the oztivo image?
No. It is downloaded daily after initial setup. That is what the network card is used for.

3. Where can I buy a Turbonet card from @ a cheap price or the going rate?
Answered on my website in the "spare parts and accessories" section, and various other places.

4. Is the Turbonet easy to install like a PCI card in a PC?
It plugs straight in. There is only one place for it to plug in to so you should be able to work that out.

5. Do i need drivers for turbonet or is it just plug n play?
Drivers are on the install image. A menu option loads them and configures the TiVo to your network requirements.

6. Can i get the SRV-2000 to work with my Satellite Receiver and get EPG for Selectv and Austar?
Possibly. Depends whether the remote control IR codes are already defined or you need to make your own.

7. Can I control the Strong 4658x Sat Receiver with the Sony SVR Remote?
The TiVo itself controls the STB not the remote.

8. Can I record something from the EPG and will the Strong change the channel automatically or would I need to set up the epg/timer on the receiver as well?
See answer #6 and #7

9. Can I run the Sat Receiver & Digital Set top box at the same time? (When i get the 2nd RCA input done by you)
This is answered on the "Extra A/V Input" section of my website.

10. Is it worth getting a PAL tuner for the SVR? Or is 2 RCA inputs enough?
If you have a Sat Receiver and digital STB then no need for the PAL tuner. But you can still have one fitted if you choose.

Like I said, I have answered these in good faith despite most of them already covered elsewhere but now the "hand holding" is over and it is now time for you to you to do some further reading and research.

erhan75
31-08-2007, 11:13 PM
tnx Darren.. looking forward to getting my new toy :)

erhan75
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Darren, i got my tivo today and im trying to download the image file.

http://files.oztivo.net/images/iso/

but the link doesnt work?

Can i download it from somewhere else?

erhan

erhan75
07-09-2007, 09:15 PM
disregard that last question mate i found the slow site for dl.

erhan75
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Darren, is there a step by step guide to imaging this hdd?

I wanted to update the image, can i do this via USB?

I have a laptop with a external HDD drive, if i plug it in my laptop and run the image would it work?

Or does it need to boot from disc via a desktop?

e

Darren King
07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Darren, is there a step by step guide to imaging this hdd?
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk

I wanted to update the image, can i do this via USB?
No

I have a laptop with a external HDD drive, if i plug it in my laptop and run the image would it work?
No

Or does it need to boot from disc via a desktop?
Correct.

BurnieM
07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/BeginnersFAQ

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/GuidedSetup16