PDA

View Full Version : Audio (voice) out of sync

Phred
12-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I've recently noticed that a number of programs are very noticeably out of voice-video sync. On closer inspection I can see a very slight out-of-sync condition on most programs.

Question - is this a general condition found in digital FTA broadcasts (not TiVo related)?

or

Question 2 - Looking at the flow of program material, starting out analogue, then converted to digital (A/D #1), broadcast FTA, set top box converts back to analogue (D/A #1), then TiVo re-digitizes (A/D #2) and finally TiV converts back to analogue (D/A #2). Is it possible to retain voice-video sync given all the A/D D/A conversions?

Phred

Darren King
12-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Answer to Q1: No. But I am assuming you mean that the sync issue is not present if you remove the TiVo from the equation?

Answer to Q2: Yes. To even go further I sometimes "daisy chain" multiple TiVo's in the test rack and never have experienced a loss of audio/video sync.

When you say "programs" do you mean recordings or live TV... or both?

And I am assuming the audio signal follows the same path as the video signal through all stages. In other words, you are not splitting the audio off to a sound processor or amplifier before the TiVo or anything like that?

Phred
13-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Answer to Q1: No. But I am assuming you mean that the sync issue is not present if you remove the TiVo from the equation?

Hi Darren,

Well, not necessarily. My only digital connection is thru the set-top box attached to the TiVo so I don't know if what I'm seeing would be present if the set-top box was directly attached to the TV.

Answer to Q2: Yes. To even go further I sometimes "daisy chain" multiple TiVo's in the test rack and never have experienced a loss of audio/video sync.

Ahh, ok that pretty much says the TiVo doesn't introduce sync problems.

When you say "programs" do you mean recordings or live TV... or both?

I'll get some specific examples but my recollection is both.

And I am assuming the audio signal follows the same path as the video signal through all stages. In other words, you are not splitting the audio off to a sound processor or amplifier before the TiVo or anything like that?

No, straight out if the set-top box into the TiVo and straight out of the TiVo into the TV.

Thanks Darren, I'll get some specific examples.

Phred

Darren King
14-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Well, not necessarily. My only digital connection is thru the set-top box attached to the TiVo so I don't know if what I'm seeing would be present if the set-top box was directly attached to the TV.

I would be checking this first and foremost. No good chasing your tail if the problem is being introduced before the TiVo :)