PDA

View Full Version : Help with setting up wireless bridge

Newbie95
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi There,

I am a complete newbie, but and I am trying to hook up my tivo to my wireless network using the following:
- Series 1 Philips Tivo
- Turbonet card
- Wireless bridge (Linksys WET54G)
- Mac Computer (OS X)

At present I have plugged my ethernet cable from my tivo/turbonet card into the wireless bridge, but have no idea if that is connecting to my network, as my macintosh computer doesn't run the CD that came with the bridge. Any suggestions?

Also, can someone please explain to me the concept of tivoweb? Is it an interface between my computer and tivo? I imagine that I will have to solve the problem above before I can sort this out though.

petestrash
12-05-2007, 04:24 AM
Think of tivoweb as a webserver that runs on the TiVo. Just enter the TiVo's IP into a browser and it will load the TW homepage.

In your description you only list one wireless device, the bridge the TiVo is plugged into. What is at the other end of the wireless link to send/receive the signal to/from the bridge ?

Has you tested the TiVo with a direct crossover cable between the Mac and TiVo?

Peter.

Newbie95
12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry, I should have given a bit more background. I have had the tivo up and running before, when it was connected via an ethernet cable to the turbonet card (this was to test that it worked, which it did, but obviously this tied up my internet!).

My wireless internet is achieved through a siemens speedstream DSL modem (optusnet) and my wireless router is an apple airport express.

Basically at the moment, my tivo will pause and rewind live tv, but cannot record anything as there is no data (as it hasn't been able to dial up to get the information). So I know my tivo works as long as I can connect it to the internet.

Hope that gives a bit more insight. Thanks!

petestrash
13-05-2007, 09:50 PM
When you setup the TiVo did you give it a static IP or is it set to DHCP.

Static is easiest to work with, but if DHCP then make sure either your router or airport is set as a DHCP server.

Peter.

Newbie95
13-05-2007, 09:58 PM
It is set to a DHCP address. This seemed to work well with the ethernet cable.

Newbie95
13-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok, a little more progress tonight. I managed to get onto the set up page for my wireless bridge and connect it to my wireless network (I think!).

I turned my tivo off (at the wall), then when I turned it back on, I checked the IP address in the 'new messages' section, which stated that I had an Ip address of 10.1.1.3. However, when I entered this address into my browser, it came up with nothing.

I have attempted to force a daily call with the tivo remote (ie. by pressing clear, live tv, clear) but I'm not sure if this was successful (the tivo stated that it was starting the call, but I'm not sure if this was successful). Is there any way to check this? Also, any tips to get the tivoweb to work?

petestrash
16-05-2007, 04:08 AM
What is the IP of your Mac, is it on the same subnet ?

Also, to check the bridge is setup correctly try hooking your Mac up to the new bridge and make sure it can access the internet.

Peter

Newbie95
08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Ok, I have now gotten the wireless bridge to work and connect to the internet, with the Tivo working fine now :)

My tivo says that it has an IP address of 10.0.1.3, and I definitely know that my ethernet bridge is connecting to my wireless network, but when I type 10.0.1.3 into my internet browser, it says that it cannot find the server.

Also, I can connect to my tivo using the terminal screen on my mac, but I have no idea on what commands to use so I really need a GUI.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need any software to connect to tivoweb?

petestrash
08-06-2007, 11:17 PM
As I asked in my last post, what is the IP of your Mac?

To access TiVoWeb, all you need is a browser.

Do you know that Tivoweb is actually running?

Try typing the following into your terminal:
ps ax | grep -i 'tivoweb'

Peter.