PDA

View Full Version : Emulator vs Loadguide

zollymonsta
09-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi All,

I'm still trying to get my head around Ed's emulator vs Loadguide.

Currently I'm using the oztivo image, with loadguide pointing to Tim's website.

Is there any difference between the oztivo image and Ed's emulator or am I missing something? :)

timmy
09-06-2004, 06:48 PM
ya been taking too many of ur monster drugs zollymonster?
this issue was addressed in the emulator thread previously. emulator is the prefered method due to the ease of keeping channels upto date ;)

Even i'm using emulator, have been for quite a while now :)

loadguideing or dbloading is still an option for those on an upgrade path, uk tivo for example...

zollymonsta
09-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Ya, it's those funny little pills. Y'know.. they have that red stripe down the middle, and they call to me in the middle of the night...

'Zolllllllllllllymonsta... zollllllllllllllymonsta... take ur pilllllllllllllls' ;)

Will the emulator work with the saturn lineup?

Is it worth me changing over? Where do I get the emulator?

*throws rock back into pond so I can no longer hide under it*

timmy
09-06-2004, 07:58 PM
hmm saturn channels. umm when u guys losing techtv? about the only channel that makes any difference from sky anyway..

zollymonsta
10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
tommorow I think, or today.

The only other different channels Saturn has is TBN, DT&A, Weather and the movie guides/ppv channels

timmy
10-06-2004, 10:48 AM
so in others words exactly the same... might as well switch :rolleyes:

zollymonsta
11-06-2004, 08:40 AM
True that. ;-) I guess I can just remove channels I can't see (like Skys SBO channels).

Is it a different cd image for the emulator?

timmy
11-06-2004, 09:23 AM
nah exactly the same image as what ur using, remember the guided setup stuff. I believe Ed noted in the emulator forum thread that switching to the emulator was a simple task. u dont need to reinstall or anything, just change the IP address of the emulator and thats about all. not sure what the deal is with how often it connects to emulator and stuff but Ed will know...

U can still run loadguide afterwards, just think of the emulator as guide data + channel data...

cyas

ehintz
11-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the emulator thread mentions how to convert an existing machine. Went very smoothly for my large test sample of one.

zollymonsta
11-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Ok. :) I will look at changing over next week. :)

zollymonsta
12-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Something to add.. There are slight changes in the lineup between Saturn and Sky. Is there any chance of a seperate headend slice on the emulator for Saturn? Namely, PPV movie channels - there are more channels and in a different channel number range.. and a couple of other channels.

:)

ehintz
12-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Well, it's on the todo list. But not a terribly high priority; AFAIK there's no guide data for any of the PPV channels, and I assume the PPV stuff requires attention from the Saturn remote anyway (usually one has to punch in passcodes and agree to charges before watching PPV), so I don't see much value in having the tivo know it's there. Feel free to correct me on this; I only have Sky and in fact have never even seen Saturn. But I do figure I'll get around to it one of these days, just in the interest of propriety. Not for several weeks at the earliest though.

For that matter, if somebody on Saturn can confirm if the add-all-saturn-channels script on Tim's FAQ is still correct that would be helpful. I was looking at it earlier today and got the impression that it's out of date.

Oh-you can always use the manual add-channel thing to customize your tivo if you really want those PPV channels. The channels would go away after a new headend slice came down but that's not a particularly common occurrence. And you could always add 'em right back with no real fuss.

Dalc
12-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Does the emulator get the listings before loadguide? Just that I notice it takes a few days from when jaidev posts theres a new slice up, to when my loadguide actually sees this and dls it.

If the emulator is getting the listings first then I'll swap to that. Or is it just a manual step that comes down to when someone gets around to copying the file to the right place?

ehintz
13-06-2004, 06:59 AM
It's a cron job running daily at about 6pm localtime... but I'm sourcing from the same spot as loadguide so it's just a matter of which one runs first (loadguide vs my cron job).