PDA

View Full Version : noob STB questions

amilgrom
15-04-2007, 09:20 PM
hey,

i've recently gotten a second tivo without a pal tuner and i'm trying to decide whether i should put a pal tuner in or use a stb...

i had a look around minnie and found some help on what STB to use and how to set them up but couldn't find any info about what the interface of using one is like.

so my noob quest are:

1- when watching tv, do you change channels with the STB remote or the tivo remote?

2- do you see the current program guide when you press 'live tv' like you do when you use an inbuilt tuner?

3- does the tivo sit on channel AV or does each STB channel come through on a different channel (like using a pal tuner)?

4- do the shows still record with their program name and other info?

anything else i should know?

thanks for the help.

A

petestrash
15-04-2007, 10:42 PM
1- when watching tv, do you change channels with the STB remote or the tivo remote?

When you have a TiVo, you should never have to watch live TV. There should always be something recorded to watch so you can skip commercials.

But to answer your question, once setup you put the STB remote away and never use it. Only use the TiVo remote, so you don't actually change channels while something is recording.

Note When using a STB the channel changes are slower than the tuner. Which can be frustrating if you are a channel surfer, but like I said above once you get out of that habit it does not matter.

2- do you see the current program guide when you press 'live tv' like you do when you use an inbuilt tuner?

There is no difference.

3- does the tivo sit on channel AV or does each STB channel come through on a different channel (like using a pal tuner)?

Just like a tuner.

4- do the shows still record with their program name and other info?

No difference.

anything else i should know?

As far as the TiVo interface is concerned everything looks the same regardless of Tuner or STB.

Peter

amilgrom
16-04-2007, 10:12 AM
great!

thanks so much for your help.

A