PDA

View Full Version : Port 37 (and others?)

TimesOwn
19-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Ummm... on my Billion 7402VGP I just told it to allow port 37 through to all IP addresses on the network..... Maybe a better choice of words would have been "ensure port 37 is open on the firewall".

Nice piece of kit Darren!

Would you mind posting a cropped screen shot of your rule(?) for Port 37. It seems to me what you may have done is created a filter rule that allows Port 37 access to any IP on the LAN? I imagine you have multiple TiVo's on the LAN.

How can one test and demonstrate, from putty, that port 37 needs to be open in such a way? (successively opening and closing Port 37 to confirm using whatever the appropriate command is)

Would it be better to create a series of filter rules that each allowed Port 37 access only to each relevant TiVo on the LAN? If a rule could be created for a series of IP's then that might work well, otherwise it seems they may need to be named individually.

petestrash
19-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I think you are confusing port forwarding and firewalls. A port can be open or closed by a firewall without having to be forwarded to any particular IP.

To test to see if port 37 is open run the following command.

/bin/ntpdate -b -v 132.163.4.103 192.43.244.18 129.6.15.29

If successful port 37 is open.

Peter.

TimesOwn
20-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Mmmm, seems to run the same for me, whether there is Port 37 filter open or not. With respect (considerable!) I am wondering if enough consideration has been made to incoming and outgoing initiated port requests?

petestrash
20-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Port 37 is a standard industry wide time port. See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc868.html most routers and firewalls will pass time requests by default.

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Do you have trouble with time requests?

Peter.

TimesOwn
01-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes I think I have time issues (!), the Port 37 thing seems a red herring as I can run ntpdate with and without a filter allowing port 37 IN, because the request is initiated from within. If it was initiated from outside then Port 37 would need to be open, like someone logging in to the TiVo. Have you tried running ntpdate with your Port 37 enabled and disabled Peter? Does it make a difference?

petestrash
01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I can't block outgoing port 37 calls using my router, but Darren's router came from the factory with port 37 blocked stopping the daily call from succeeding.

Now, if you had just said you were having time issues from the begining we would have gone a different path.

So, are your daily calls failing ?

If yes please post your tclient.log
If no please post your otclient.log

Peter.