PDA

View Full Version : Failed while preparing data...on new install

d18c7db@hotmail.com
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM
On a brand new TiVo install doing a guided setup for the first time I'm getting "Failed while preparing data" on the Importing line after it hits 17%.

My tclient.conf
000:
127::210.48.107.133:8000:::
911:

I've tried using port 80 and guided setup succeeds but then the TiVo doesn't get any guide data after making a call.

Help

DJC
03-03-2007, 05:12 PM
PM me your tivoid thanks, I'll check logs.

We have founf that if you have setup on port 80, you can't just change to 8000 without a clear and delete everything.

NZMarke
23-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi there,

FINALLY have got around to biting the bullet and attempting to move to the port 8000 emulator off the legacy emulator.

I'm running a 1.4 image. I did a clear and delete everything and updated the tclient.conf to point to the port 8000 emulator.

All goes well until the point in GS where the call is made. First time around, it failed to make the call. So I rebooted, and this time it made the call but failed (several times) at the point at which it imports the data.

So I connected via Telnet, and found the script to clear and delete everything (again) which I ran. On reboot, the TiVo dutifully came up with the Clear and Delete Everything screen, and on completion went back into G.S. Again it failed on the call first time around, but on a reboot succeeded in making the call, but again failed repeatedly on the import of the data.

So I'm stuck here. I'd reimage with the 1.5 image but for the fact that I no longer have a PC here that I can use to connect the drive to do the re-imaging (only got a laptop and a Macbook).

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

petestrash
24-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Which postcode are your using?

Peter

NZMarke
25-08-2008, 07:12 PM
02113 ... but I've decided to re-image now actuallu.

Unfortunately my old PC died, and I didn't have anything that I could plug an ATA drive in to do the imaging. So had to pop to a PC place up the road and do it. So I now have a reimaged drive with the latest image, and I'm in the process of starting the setup with that .. unsucessfully so far as it happens (Tivo is just sitting at the "Startup" screen). Will re-read instructions again .. it's a while since I did this!!

Cheers

Mark

Skolink
25-08-2008, 07:30 PM
If you are in Christchurch I could reimage the drive for you.

Islander
25-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I was just about to post a similar problem.

I have been trying to setup a tivo with 02112 with 2 inputs ie. FTA tuner and Freeview Sat.
I already have an NZ 1.5 setup that works with 2112. I have tried most of the postcodes and have found that I can setup with one input ok but when using dual inputs they all fail at the First call stage Importing at various load percentages (the best is on 2112 at about 76%).

I have re-imaged the drive (several times) it is a 200g seagate.
Have also increased the swap size (currently at 512).

I am using OzTivo 1.6.2 6/11/06 Sony without updating the installer.

Any ideas

P.S. could the lack of guide data problems be having an impact on this?

Thanks in advance

NZMarke
25-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately not - in AKL. But thanks Skolink for your generous offer!!

Looking back, it looks like I downloaded the August release of the image rather than the later Dec version anyway. So might try re-imaging again with the later Dec image somewhere else.

I read a note on the Oztivo wiki that some people have experienced problems when imaging the drive off a "recent" PC, and have experienced success after re-imaging again off an older PC. Anyone able to confirm this - and why it might be the case?

I've got a Seagate 250G drive in there ... which was working AOK under the old setup. As far as I can tell the drive actually spins up OK when the TiVo is powered up. This post : http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1431 - suggests that when TiVo gets stuck at the "Your TiVo is starting up" screen, it's because it can't see the disk or there's a problem with the image. Given the disk was previously fine, and seemed to work fine when plugged into another PC to image it, I suspect it's the image itself that's at fault.

I wonder whether it might be a good idea to do a low-level format of the drive before I reimage. I think there might be a machine at work I can use to do the imaging.

Thanks all anyway!!

Cheers

Mark

NZMarke
25-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Quick question - what's the optimum swapfile size for a 250Gb drive?

Cheers

Mark

Islander
25-08-2008, 08:35 PM
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1892

Islander
25-08-2008, 08:55 PM
More info on my setup problem

I have just tried to redo GS on my working NZtivo 1.5 onto 2112 with dual input.
It has also failed at the First setup call importing data Failed while preparing data stage..

I now suspect an error in the downloaded data

Help anyone

Thanks in advance

NZMarke
26-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Me too ... I got the drive re-imaged (using a different machine and the more recent - Dec - image). Installed it, and it worked OK .. at least got into Guided Setup stage anyway. But like Islander, I'm getting the same "Failed while preparing data" message after the first call - which shows as completing successfully (i.e it connects, downloads and hangs up OK, but fails somewhere around 6 or 7% into the importing).

Any suggestions as to what I can check next?? I'm going to try running the Clear & Delete everything script again from the command line ... and retry Guided Setup again, but I'm not that confident that it's going to work!

Cheers

Mark

NZMarke
26-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Righto .. tried that, no joy. Excuse the double-post but there's another related thread in General with someone experiencing similar issues .. here:
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1892

Just wanted to make sure people were aware there was already one thread going on this ...

Anyway, here's the summary thus far:
I'm still getting that "failed preparing data" message. Have reimaged (twice), set my swap file to 500Mb, and it gets about 6% through then kicks the bucket every time. Have made multiple attempts at it (by running the ClearAndDelete.tcl script in /hack/bin/) and rerunning the Guided Setup.

For a little while it was failing to make a connection at all to ORAC, but then started working again. Even when it does connect though, it still fails the Importing step.

For reference, I'm on a Phillips TiVo, Seagate 250Gb, 1.5 NZTiVo image, using postcode=02113 (for Sky Digital) and area code 002.

Any ideas? Here's hoping someone can help ... my wife's getting naggy on it! ;-)

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Mark

NZMarke
26-08-2008, 01:34 PM
OH ... and it's the latest (Dec) image I'm using too.

Islander
26-08-2008, 03:40 PM
It appears to me that this problem is occurring only when a sat or dual input setup attempted as I can succeed if I use only a single input tuner setup. Therefore my suspicion relating to the downloaded data not the individual Tivos.

Will PM DJC and see if he can shed any light on this.

edit:
Anyone know of another way to contact DJC as his PM quota is full

petestrash
26-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I'll let DJC know.

He may be away.

Peter.

NZMarke
26-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Dumb question - is it possible to complete the Guided Setup using one of the other options then change the settings after completion? Sorry - bit of a newbie question I know. If so, what would I need to change?

I'm guessing "no" right .. as the EPG data would be different depending on what the chosen option was?

Cheers

Mark

petestrash
26-08-2008, 10:01 PM
The reason for the different postcodes in NZ is so that the frequencies that each station broadcast on are different in each area. So yes you could use a different postcode to finish GS, but you may not get any reception.

Peter.

NZMarke
26-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Wasn't thinking of a different postcode actually - was thinking of choosing another option other than Cable or Cable and Satellite etc .. as per Islander's post earlier that it appeared to work if he chose the tuner option.

Just curious to see if that would get me past the failure (which happens during the import) and is something I could change later?

Anyway, not to worry - DJC sent me a PM, and he's looking into the problem. Have PM'd him my serial number and he's checking the logs.

Cheers (and thanks!)

Mark

petestrash
27-08-2008, 01:44 PM
DJC has been away, but should help get you going now.

You may need to choose a different source as you have suggested.

DJC
27-08-2008, 09:14 PM
OK, According to NZMarke and Islander, this issue has now been resolved. Although we are still looking at tclient logs, it looks like it was a problem with a bad lineup in the DBS (satellite) slice.

NZMarke
28-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Indeed it was - for me anyway. Many thanks to DJC for helping out and resolving so quickly!! Happiness is a working (and now upgraded) TiVo!! ;-)

Thanks DJC,

Mark