PDA

View Full Version : Continual freezing

dyrplq
26-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Guys, I've had my Tivo for a couple of years now and love it. BUT, ever since I have had it, it has always had an issue with freezing. At best once a month, at worst every 10 minutes!

I have swapped out hard drives 3 times, the latest this last weekend and it is now the worst it has been.

Before I trash it and get a whole new unit, is there anything other than the harddrive that I could replace to see if that fixes the problem? Its a fairly standard set-up with a Turbonet card running 1.6.

Help! :)

Darren King
26-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Have you altered the timing setting on the card to "failsafe" via nic_config_tivo?

Before I trash it and get a whole new unit

No need for that. Even if it is not software related it is repairable.

dyrplq
26-02-2007, 06:32 AM
No, I've got it set to Optimum at present. Can you tell me the difference Darren?

Darren King
26-02-2007, 07:05 AM
The difference is it may stop your freezing. Setting the timing to failsafe has known to fix what you describe with Turbonet cards.

If you don't want to do that, does the TiVo stop freezing if you remove the network card? If it does then try setting the timing option to failsafe.

dyrplq
26-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Cheers Darren. I'll certainly give it a try.

dyrplq
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, my Tivo has now been crash free for most of a week. Brilliant. 3 hard disk changes and it was one simple config setting all along.

Thanks heaps Darren.

Darren King
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Great stuff! Simple fix and everyone's happy :)