PDA

View Full Version : New Tivo Arrived

captaincool01
15-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi,

My new series 1 Phillips tivo has just arrived fresh from the USA. I changed the power cord, started him up, and now I just want to view my AV line in from my Austar... but there doesnt seem to be an 'aux' or 'input' button...

I can either go to 'Demo Mode' or I can set it up, either way each of these requires me to call a number which is american.

Can any of you smart people let me know how I can simply use my line in (AV in) without having to call america? I know there is more to using my Tivo, but I just want to tape one show each night.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Darren King
15-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Richard

I don't mean to sound blunt, but mate we have been through this in previous posts time after time. (for those following this, see here: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1374 )

You have already been told that a TiVo in Australia will not work at all with the USA original software. If you want to use it even as a one input A/V device you will still need to set it up with the oztivo software and will still need to run Guided Setup on the OzTiVo software.

Is there something you do not understand with the above?

captaincool01
15-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi Darren,

Sorry mate, I guess I'm coming off a little daft here!

I upgraded my computer a while ago and only bothered to take the Tivo out of the box yesterday, so I didn't realise where I was up to.

So loading the OzTivo software Is done via the serial cable included, or do I need to install a network card and do it via my network?

I'm really excited about exploring this and finding out what I can do with it.

Sorry again if I sound patronising, or just plain stupid, the new computer and how busy I've been have not made the Tivo a number 1 priority, but I'm excited to use it now and would love for you to help me.

So, let's load the OzTivo software!

Richard

Darren King
15-02-2007, 09:39 AM
So loading the OzTivo software Is done via the serial cable included, or do I need to install a network card and do it via my network?

Neither. The OzTiVo software is loaded by you downloading the latest installer CD and then putting the TiVo hard disk in your computer and booting the installer CD. You then follow the prompts. All the information you need for that is here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk

For actually completing guided setup you will need some form of network connection. You either can purchase a network card (around $80) or use a serial cable. CAUTION: The supplied serial cable is NOT used for networking. The supplied serial cable is for controlling some models of cable TV boxes in the USA. If you do not want to purchase a network card you will need to either make or purchase the correct serial cable and follow the networking over serial instructions here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/SerialPPPWithXP

Alternatively if all of this sounds too complicated you may consider just sending your hard disk to some caring soul to set it up as just a one A/V input so you can simply pop it back in the TiVo and you can then manually set your recordings like you say you want to. If that sounds like a better idea then feel free to contact me.

captaincool01
15-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi Darren,

How do I shout your a beer already?!

Downloading the Oztivo image and putting it onto the tivo HD doesn't sound like too much trouble-- I think the problem will be the networking-- whether it by serial cable (which from my old smart card days I know can be tedious) or the network card.

My main problem with the network card is that my network is completely wireless. The router is under the bed because it is the only spot w/ a spare phone outlet. The Tivo is in the lounge room, so it would not really work for many reasons, including my girlfriend kicking me out of the house!

Is it possible for me to send you my harddrive and enough money for a ctn of beer? I would appreciate it so much!

I live in Tamworth, but I will be in Sydney over the weekend if that helps at all.

Either way I'm very eager to give this a go!

Thanks again Darren, Richard

Darren King
15-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Downloading the Oztivo image and putting it onto the tivo HD doesn't sound like too much trouble-- I think the problem will be the networking-- whether it by serial cable (which from my old smart card days I know can be tedious) or the network card. My main problem with the network card is that my network is completely wireless...... The Tivo is in the lounge room, so it would not really work for many reasons

Well that would pose a problem! Serial would not stretch that far. You can go wireless but all up that is going to be very expensive for just an initial setup job and then no further use. Best option would be to send me the hard disk in that case. There is twice a year you will need to reset the clock for daylight savings but I'll send a serial cable back with the hard disk for you to do that. Not hard and only takes a minute to do.

I live in Tamworth, but I will be in Sydney over the weekend if that helps at all.

Not really. As my "location" at the top of each post says I'm in Melbourne. Send me an email and I'll be happy to assist all the same.