PDA

View Full Version : Hardware issue

Wibble
09-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a hardware issue with one of my tivo's. I know it's hardware as the same HD (with no configuration changes) in a different tivo it works fine.

The symptom is that a few times a week, the screen would freeze and the tivo would need to be unpluged as it stopped responding (remote or network).

This happened both while recording and not.

Any clue as to what I should be checking?

Thanks.

petestrash
09-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I have moved this post to a new thread, as it doesn't seem to be related to the sky STB freezing as was the case in the previous thread.

A few questions to narrow your problem down:

1. The other TiVo you tried, did it also have a cachecard and does either cachecard have any memory installed?

2. have you tired TW(P) or telnet while the TiVo is frozen, does either work?

3. Are both the TiVo's you tried in the same physical location in the room?

4. When you tried the other TiVo, where you using the Xbox'es the same as the original TiVo?

Peter.

Wibble
09-02-2007, 05:59 PM
1. The other TiVo you tried, did it also have a cachecard and does either cachecard have any memory installed?

Neither had a cache card just a plain network card, as also I swapped the network card with the HD. (As the other tivo had a cachecard and I didn't want to change the config.)

2. have you tired TW(P) or telnet while the TiVo is frozen, does either work?

Yes,but no go. Could not even ping the tivo, so it's a real low level crash.

3. Are both the TiVo's you tried in the same physical location in the room?

Yes, I just swapped them, so the setup was identical. Same cables, everything.

4. When you tried the other TiVo, where you using the Xbox'es the same as the original TiVo?

I wasn't using the Xboxes. I recently upgraded to XBMC 2.1 which broke the tivo streaming. Another issue :(

This was using the 1.5 image. (I need to update my sig :) )

Thanks.

petestrash
09-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Nothing common comes to mind that I can add. Maybe Darren will have some hardware suggestions.

Most event bug freezes still leave telnet running.

Have you left the cover off the faulty TiVO, can you feel if any of the chips are running very hot?

Peter.

Wibble
10-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Have you left the cover off the faulty TiVO, can you feel if any of the chips are running very hot?

I'll give that a try.

Thanks.