PDA

View Full Version : Issue with airnet and guided setup

ashleyd1414
30-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey all,

Firstly great work on the oztivo software. Am dying to get mine up and running.

Problem is, having prepped my disk, I run through the guided setup. My airnet card connects, and as I progress further through the screens in setup, the card drops more and more packets, until when coming to the stage to call home to get programme info, it loses all connection.

The first time it has to connect in the setup, it works. If I just leave it on, and dont run through setup, it never drops any packets, so it is related to the setup programme.

The tivo is a Thomson UK model, running the latest Oztivo software. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

petestrash
31-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the Group.

A few questions:

1. When you say latest OzTiVo software I assume you mean r1.6.2 of the Philips image and not the last OzTiVo Thomson release.
2. When you imaged your drive, did you select the update installer option first
3. Is it possible to move the TiVo closer to the AP or vv whilst running GS.
4. Try removing the TiVo's cover to get a stronger signal.
5. Are you using WEP, try running GS without it.

There is nothing in the GS routine that will cause the issue you are seeing. But the 2nd call home transfers a lot more data than the 1st call, so if the networking is borderline it will fail the 2nd call.

Peter.

ashleyd1414
31-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is the Philips 1.6.2 image. I did not do the installer update.

The tivo had the cover off, and the wap next to it. It is definately not a signal issue, as if I just leave it on the front screen, it never drops off the network. As I progress through guided setup, each step degrades the network performance, and then finally it stops communicating altogether. This can happen in less than 5 mins if running through setup quickly, but I can leave it on the front screen for hours, with no dropped packets.

I will try taking WEP off, and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again

Darren

ashleyd1414
31-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi,

Taking WEP off seemed to fix it, and its all done now.

I have 1 other small problem. My screen is too far up, and not centered. Any way of changing this ? Its using the same TV etc as it was before, so I know it's not the Tivo or TV. I can adjust the picture on my tv, but it wont allow me to shift it enough to get it fully centered. It's only for the menus, live tv is fine. I am guessing recorded programmes will suffer the same issue tho. So, if is shift the tv settings, live tv through tv is off anyway, so I need to be able to change it somehow.

Is there any config for this at all ?

Cheers

Darren King
31-01-2007, 02:15 PM
My screen is too far up. It's only for the menus, live tv is fine.

This is normal, because on the USA based images the menus are still NTSC, so on PAL playback they are compressed with a black band at the bottom of screen due to less scan lines in NTSC content as opposed to PAL. This is how we all see our menus with USA based software so it is not abnormal. This issue is covered here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/ProblemsAndSolutions

"P: The tivo menus don't fill the whole screen, there's a big black bar at the bottom of the screen.

S: The menu's don't fill the whole screen because NTSC has less lines than PAL, so blank lines appear to make up the difference. "

I am guessing recorded programmes will suffer the same issue tho.

No, they won't.

So, if i shift the tv settings, live tv through tv is off anyway, so I need to be able to change it somehow. Is there any config for this at all ?

No, sorry.

ashleyd1414
31-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks you guys. You really are legends.

Looking forward to recording some stuff now.

Cheers:D