PDA

View Full Version : Size of Thompson disk image

ajharvey
23-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I've just brought back a (broken - I suspect HDD) Thompson TiVo from the UK, and before I commit too much money to it (in case my suspicions are wrong) I wanted to check it worked ok - I have tried to put the Thompson image onto a 20 Gb and a 30Gb drive (which I had lying around) but both report "Restore failed: first target drive too small."

What minimum size disk do I need to restore the image? I have searched around for other solutions, and I can report that the drives aren't locked. Posts elsewhere in the forums state that the images are created on 9Gb drives - but the don't specifically mention the Thompson which I understand has a different maintainer....

By the way, the ozTivo menu system also does not report the restore failure as a failure (in fact it calls it a success!), and blinks back to the menu too fast to see what's going on. It finishing so fast made me pretty suspicious though....

Cheers,
Adrian

Darren King
23-01-2007, 07:25 PM
What minimum size disk do I need to restore the image?

Anything from 4-6GB and up will do. The original TiVo design only used 13GB hard disks and I've restored to those too with no probs.

I have searched around for other solutions, and I can report that the drives aren't locked.

Have you got the hard disk jumpers set to Master (or Slave, but remember to set to Master when putting into TiVo) and don't use Cable Select?

Have you tried to format them under a normal PC operating system? Does that work? What about trying another PC? It has been known that some PC's don't play the game (see link below).

By the way, the ozTivo menu system also does not report the restore failure as a failure (in fact it calls it a success!), and blinks back to the menu too fast to see what's going on. It finishing so fast made me pretty suspicious though....

Yes. This is a known thing and is discussed here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk

More specifically: "If the restore seems to happen instantly, then the restore probably didn't happen, even if it says 'restore successful'."

petestrash
23-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Try the Australian Philips image as it is known to work on small drives. It works fine with Thomson TiVo's. It supports NZ installs.

You can always switch to NZ Thomson when you buy a new drive.

For Darren,
The NZ Thomson image has just recently been released and quite possibly will now not work on small drives.

Peter.

ajharvey
09-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your suggestion - have got TiVo up and running now, with OZ Philips image. Have installed cachecard, and got guide data, etc.

The tuner doesn't work properly though - I suspect that the OzTiVo ukchan.o does not have the right frequencies for our channel allocations - or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely??

petestrash
10-02-2007, 12:45 AM
That's right, you will need a NZ version of ukchan30.o.

Hopefully someone will post the current version here for you.

Peter.

ajharvey
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, I couldn't find a copy anywhere, so I hacked up my own from the 2.5.5 NZ sources and the 3.0 OZ sources, and used the toolchain files from elsewhere in the forums to build it. After one false start (where I didn't change the offset values for the call hooks, which caused the Tivo to reboot, and stupidly copied made it the main ukchan.o, so it loaded on every boot :-( ) I got a working version, which I attach for others here

Attached: nzukchan30.c and nzukchan30.o

petestrash
12-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry none of the NZer's could help you, but glad you have it sorted.

Peter.

jaidev
14-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Sorry I have been away for a couple of days, didn't check forums till now.

Our Uktivo Thomson image won't restore to anything smaller than a 40GB drive.

The NZ ukchan.o file we use on the NZ ukTivo image is on our FTP site, this module also supports NZ Nicam sound.

It is located here ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images/uktivo
called ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o

I'm not sure if it works on the Philips 3.0 software

petestrash
14-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi Jaidev, could you attach the NZ ukchan30 file here. Which is the file that was needed.

Peter.

PS does your NZ ukchan30 file get around the channel 60 output conflict.

jaidev
15-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Hi Peter, I don;t think we have a compiled ukchan30.o that is 100% working.
These two threads below point out. There are various threads with getting ukchan.o 3.0 compatible, I'm not sure if it is 100%, sound issues I suspect.

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=886
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=910&highlight=ukchan+3.0

I dont think it will get around the RFoutput channel 60 issue, as this value does not exist in the MFS till the user makes a change, which is not possible on a uktivo running Philips software? You need to change/add this value manually to the MFS using dbsetx, this MFS value /Setup/RFOutputChannel

ajharvey
15-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I read the threads earlier and it was from those and elsewhere that I built my own ukchan30. It works for me, but I'm not using the RF out (which was one of the other poster's problem I believe...)

I will put the Thompson image on when I get a bigger disk - and I have seen some of the insatbility well documented elsewhere. US image has been good for a test however, and I have learnt a lot about the TiVo :-)

I will try the dbsetx route, but I would assume that if the software hasn't created the setting, it won't expect to read it either.... Though it might make the script not fall over... but iicset seems to segfault for me anyway, so I'm not sure that will get me anywhere.