PDA

View Full Version : Newbie first try – success!

Phred
22-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Hello fellow TiVo travelers,

Decided I couldn’t stand anymore 2 minute long FTA commercials and investigated several options. While researching Freevo, SageTV, BeyondTV, and various hardware PVRs (Topfield, Strong – DTVforum) I stumbled across the ozTiVo TWiki site. Having relatives still living in the old country figured I’d hunt up a Series 1 and decided to give TiVo a go.

First I need to thank all of the contributors to the ozTiVo TWiki, those responsible for doing the hacks, integrating software and building the ISO images. Great job! Also thanks to all those working had behind the scenes keeping the guide data updated, it is very much appreciated. A special thanks to Darren for taking his time to answer a hundred stupid questions during a long phone call and for answering his e-mail.

So I got a, actually two, “Renewed” Philips HDR31299 Series 1 TiVo’s. “Renewed in USA to original, Product warranty quality assured, To customer specifications” – looks like that means – new manuals, includes a product warranty card (..), new remote with batteries, new cables (looks like a full set), the top/cover is either new or re-sprayed (not a scratch), inside is clean and void of any dust, power supply looks to be new and the disk is a single 30Gb (the original machine appears to have been a HDR312 that had two 15Gb drives) with a sticker on it that says “Philips Reprogramed, Quad Test ok, Programming ok, on 04/04/02. Here are some photos:

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c37/maashbolt/TiVo/

This being a proof-of-concept machine I wanted to keep costs down. If it was possible I didn’t want to buy a Turbonet card or install a PAL/Australian tuner until the “supreme allied commander of the southern hemisphere” (aka she who must be obeyed) saw, was pleased and gave TiVo the Good Housekeeping seal of approval. I have a VCR that I’m using as TV source and I had a spare, new, 80Gb Hitachi Deskstar floating around so used it for now.

I’m happy to say, even me a LinNix illiterate, has the OzTiVo working like a charm!

First experience (experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want..), I couldn’t get dial-up through my ISP to work. I know I was warned, but thought I’d mention it. I ended up using a serial PPP connection through XP.

Second experience, got the hardware firewall sorted, but for some yet to be determined reason couldn’t get Sygate (software firewall) to play. So ATM for each program call I disable Sygate. I'll post when I figure it out. In addition now that an XP machine has a directly connected machine (the TiVo), I'm now seeing multicast IP packets from at first explorer.exe and now other applications.

Third experience, after the second guided setup call, after waiting the 4 hours and for System Information to indicate all had finished, and after re-boot into normal mode (made sure I wasn’t in maintenance mode) – date and time was incorrect. I remember the date was one day behind and that the time wasn’t a full 24 hours out, but don’t know the exact delta time difference. I telneted to the TiVo and set the date and time.

Fourth experience, couldn’t get the Tivoweb on the ISO image to work. Tried the echo trick, looked around, ps ax didn’t list it and given my limited linux knowledge I just gave up.. Downloaded TivowebPlus, installed it, started it and that works just fine. Given my VI/Joe knowledge is zero haven’t tried to edit the .author config file so after I re-boot I have to telnet and restart Tivowebplus.

That’s it! Pretty darn good IMHO!

Thanks again for all the excellent work by all involved in the ozTiVo project.

Cheers,
Phred

Darren King
22-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Hello fellow TiVo travelers,

And hello and welcome to you too :)

First I need to thank all of the contributors to the ozTiVo TWiki, those responsible for doing the hacks, integrating software and building the ISO images. Great job! Also thanks to all those working had behind the scenes keeping the guide data updated, it is very much appreciated. A special thanks to Darren for taking his time to answer a hundred stupid questions during a long phone call and for answering his e-mail.

On behalf of everyone else I'll say "you're welcome". On a personal note, I'm glad that you found my help informative. I'm always happy to help, or at least point in the right direction if I don't fully know (and I don't know everything!).

I didn’t want to buy a Turbonet card or install a PAL/Australian tuner until the “supreme allied commander of the southern hemisphere” (aka she who must be obeyed) saw, was pleased and gave TiVo the Good Housekeeping seal of approval. I have a VCR that I’m using as TV source and I had a spare, new, 80Gb Hitachi Deskstar floating around so used it for now.

A wise choice to get the "stamp of approval". Now that she likes it you will need both of those TiVo's because you will end up losing out every time in the fight on who watches what ;)

(experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want..)

:) And that is good advice for others. I'm pleased you had a go, stuck it out and won in the end. Some just give it the "it's too hard" treatment and give up, which is not how TiVo outside the USA works. It works by experimenting and learning. Top marks to you :D

I'll make a couple of comments to be of benefit:

Third experience, after the second guided setup call, after waiting the 4 hours and for System Information to indicate all had finished, and after re-boot into normal mode (made sure I wasn’t in maintenance mode) – date and time was incorrect.

This is actually normal. If you had rebooted again the time would come up correct. It takes the second time you boot with the "Starting up..." screen for the time to be correct. Another way to set time if it is not right is to force another daily call through the TiVoWEB (and TiVoWEB+) "phone" tab. If you find that you still do not have the right time then you may need to check that a firewall is allowing port 37 to get through too.

Fourth experience, couldn’t get the Tivoweb on the ISO image to work. Tried the echo trick, looked around, ps ax didn’t list it and given my limited linux knowledge I just gave up.. Downloaded TivowebPlus, installed it, started it and that works just fine. Given my VI/Joe knowledge is zero haven’t tried to edit the .author config file so after I re-boot I have to telnet and restart Tivowebplus.

On the latest images (R1.6.2) TiVoWEB+ is actually the standard, and is configured to start on bootup. Did you download the install ISO R1.6.2? (tip: what version number in the starting up splashscreen do you see?)

Phred
23-01-2007, 08:17 AM
On the latest images (R1.6.2) TiVoWEB+ is actually the standard, and is configured to start on bootup. Did you download the install ISO R1.6.2? (tip: what version number in the starting up splashscreen do you see?)

Hi Darren,

Yes, it's 1.6.2. On the splashscreen 3.0 1.6.2 and the image I downloaded was

ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20061106.iso

So I don't know what was wrong. Couldn't http to the TiVo, ps ax didn't list the task running and, as far as I can remember, there wasn't a TivoWebPlus directory (could be wrong). and of course now I've followed the Webplus install directions, except for editing .author, so have probably made it difficult to know/find out what the original problem was.

Cheers,
Phred

Darren King
23-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Ah, I know the answer. There is a bug in the install CD that sometimes (not always as I have tried) which causes TW+ not to start and it is the CrashCount not being zero. Just for reference there are two ways to fix it:

1. Reset the crashcount file by the following via telnet:

echo 0 > /hack/TivoWebPlus/.dist/CrashCount

Then issue a reboot command to restart the TiVo.

2. Run the update script which will contact Minnie and see if there are any updates to the install CD (which there are, one of them to fix TW+) and the TiVo will download and install the updates:

update_oztivo -y

More info on the update command here:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howto/UpgradeOzTiVoImage

Regarding editing your config file, try using nano which is on the TiVo and real easy to use:

nano <filename to edit>

Remember you have to put the TiVo into read write mode beforehand (command RW) and back into read only mode afterwards (command RO).

Hope that helps.

Phred
24-01-2007, 06:48 AM
it is the CrashCount not being zero. Just for reference there are two ways to fix it:
[]

I'm pretty sure I tried the echo thing, as I sort of said in my original post, but not 100% sure of the exact command I tried. Anyway, just tried the echo 0 command above, reboot and tivoweb didn't start. Still haven't edited .auth (:-)) so I start web+ by telnet and cd /var/hack/TivoWebPlus and entering ./tivoweb.

I'll try your second option, the update, probably this weekend.

Another question,, has anyone looked at making the 30 skip an option (select-play-select-30-select) a permanent hack (and adding it to the Installer as an option)? Or maybe I’m just re-booting more than normal, forgetting to reenter the remote commands, and being annoyed..

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
24-01-2007, 12:56 PM
rc.sysinit.author expects TWP to be in '/hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb' so that appears correct.

Also note in general we do not make modifications to rc.sysinit.author any more, as this stuffs up the upgrade feature.

Start ups are now controlled as default by dflt_sysinit.conf or if you wanted to make changes, by a new file called sysinit.conf.

It might be helpful for you to post the kernel and tivoweb logs so we can see why it is failing on boot.

Peter.

Phred
24-01-2007, 08:35 PM
It might be helpful for you to post the kernel and tivoweb logs so we can see why it is failing on boot.
Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help. Here's the web logs. I first used Web+ to clear the logs, then telnet to reboot.

After reboot I telneted and manually started Web+. So the failing web.log would be Otivoweb.log? Otivoweb.log is

TivoWebPlus - v1.3.1 (1.3.1 (oztivo-070111))
The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This program is licensed under the GPL.
See the 'docs/copyright' and 'docs/index.html' files
for copyright and credit information.
PoolSize=2916352
retrying after errTmActiveLockConflict ...
child process exited abnormally
while executing
"exec ifconfig | grep "inet addr" | grep -v "127.0.0.1""
(file "/hack/TivoWebPlus/httpd-tt.tcl" line 997)

This is what's in tivoweb.log and it looks like the one I manually started.

PoolSize=2916352
Loading modules...
ChannelMap
backup
channelgrid
channelprefs
confresManual
debug
displaytext
extract
favicon
folders
gallery
gdchecker
higuide
index
-initializing logo index
-initializing channel table
--caching 9 channels for source of type=5 (CableBox)
--fully processed 9 of 9 channels for source of type=5 (CableBox)
-initializing genre table
-initializing now showing cache
-initializing season pass cache
info
lj_utils
logos
logs
mail
manrec
merge
mfsbrowser
mrv
netconfig
phone
reorder
resources
Loaded 89 resource definitions
rss
sched
screen
script
search
sysadmin
theme
ui
update
webremote
whatson
wishlists
xlist
{more}
Accepting Connections
192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:17:35] "/"
192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:17:39] "/logs/"
192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:17:44] "/logs/kernel/"
192.168.1.97 - - [24/Jan/2007:21:18:26] "/logs/tivoweb.log/"

The kernel.log is too big to post so if you need that I'll send it to you.

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
24-01-2007, 09:41 PM
It looks like TWP startup is conflicting with something else on boot. And works fine once the TiVo is settled.

I suggest you make a /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local file with the following 2 lines.

#start TWP
/hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb &

This will try starting TWP at the end of the boot. It's a bit of a fumble and doesn't answer why this is only happening to you and not the 1000's of others running the same version.

Peter.

Edited: corrected typo in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local

Phred
25-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I suggest you make a /etc/rd.d/rc.sysinit.local file with the following 2 lines.

#start TWP

Thanks Peter. So, I created (didn't exist) the directory rd.d in /etc and made the file as above. Same problem. I then thought maybe I should try /var/hack/TWP/..&. Still didn't work. _Otivoweb.log_ is exactly as above and _tiovoweb.log_ (I presume from the rd.d sysinit.local fudge, is the same but without the line "retrying after errTmActiveLockConflict ..."

doesn't answer why this is only happening to you and not the 1000's of others running the same version.
Peter.

I guess I'm just special.. lol..

Phred

petestrash
25-01-2007, 12:25 PM
You are very special.

Something is very wrong, the directory /etc/rc.d has to exist. this is where amongst many others rc.sysinit and rc.sysinit.author reside. Without these files the TiVo will not boot.

There should not have been any need to create this directory.

Peter.

PS for your info /var/hack is a rw symlink to /hack.

Phred
25-01-2007, 05:03 PM
You are very special.

Something is very wrong, the directory /etc/rc.d has to exist.

Ahhh, ok. In your first post you said rd.d not rc.d and being LinNix illiterate :-) I wouldn't know the difference! So I blindly followed orders (good excuse huh..). So undid all that rd.d junk and put sysinit.local where it was supposed to be - that's the good news. Bad news - same problem and same tivoweb.log contents (without the line "retrying after errTmActiveLockConflict ...").

I'm happy to keep trying to figure out what the problem is and to keep trying all manner of things, don't get me wrong, however, I'm quite happy to telnet and start TWP when I need it.

Any other logs I can send you, or debug type stuff I can gather? Thanks for your time Peter.

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
26-01-2007, 12:32 AM
rd.d Typo, my bad. I've corrected it now in case someone else follows this thread.

can you clear the tivoweb log using the clear button on TWP.

Then reboot the tivo and repost the new tivoweb log.

Peter.

Phred
26-01-2007, 10:51 AM
can you clear the tivoweb log using the clear button on TWP.
Then reboot the tivo and repost the new tivoweb log.
Peter.

Ok, here ya go:

telnet

--Contents of /var/log/tivoweb.log--
Log cleared on Fri Jan 26, 2007 by TivoWebPlus

--Contents of /var/log/Otivoweb.log--

--ls of /etc/rc.d--

[TiVo [p0] /etc/rc.d]# ls
finishInstall.tcl rc.net.cachecard rc.sysinit
rc.arch rc.net.cachecard.static rc.sysinit.author
rc.arch.original rc.net.tivonet rc.sysinit.local
rc.net rc.net.turbonet rc.sysinit.noservices
rc.net.airnet rc.net.turbonet.static rc.sysinit.orig
rc.net.airnet.static rc.ppp

--contents of rc.sysinit.local--

#start TWP

--reboot--

-- contents of /var/log/tivoweb.log after reboot--

PoolSize=2916352
retrying after errTmActiveLockConflict ...
while executing

--Contents of /var/log/Otivoweb.log--

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
26-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Ok, are you using DHCP to get an IP address?

Peter.

Phred
26-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok, are you using DHCP to get an IP address?
Peter.

Good question. I'm using serial ppp via an XP box. I specified the address range (two ip addresses) when I built the direct connect network connection - not sure if via the XP direct connection serial ppp setup if that means dhcp. Somehow Tivo ends up with the two ip address I specified.

On that subject I noticed something sorta strange in the early part of kernel.log (before date and time get set):

Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: setting ipaddr to 192.168.1.84
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: setting macaddr to 0004ace30054
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not supported by device
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: eth0: unknown interface.
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: Configuring network...
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: Starting PPP over serial
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: Enabling local route...
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: Setting TCP keepalive parameters...
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: Starting logging daemons...
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: Check for PROM update ...
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: Updating system clock UID=0
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: registered device ppp0
Jan 1 00:00:21 (none) kernel: About to check tasks for tty to shutdown
Jan 26 11:45:02 (none) kernel: Time set to: Fri Jan 26 11:45:02 2007
Jan 26 11:45:02 (none) kernel: Have a nice day.

The ip address set (192.168.1.84) isn't either of the two specified in the serial ppp XP config. Not sure where .84 is coming from. Note, however, that later in the log the correct address (.97 and .98) are there:

Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xasyncmap
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xmit asyncmap 0
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010003
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set mru to 5dc
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv asyncmap 0
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0xffff31c9]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010043
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x2 < 12 06 00 00 00 01>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x2 < 12 06 00 00 00 01>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 192.168.1.97>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x3 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 192.168.1.97>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x7f95192a]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x2 <addr 192.168.1.98>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 <addr 192.168.1.98> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: rcvd [CCP ConfAck id=0x1]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: rcvd [CCP TermReq id=0x4 7f 95 19 2a 00 3c cd 74 00 00 02 dc]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: sent [CCP TermAck id=0x4]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x3 <addr 192.168.1.98> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set maxcid to 16
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010047
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 going up for IP packets!
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: local IP address 192.168.1.98
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: remote IP address 192.168.1.97

One other thing I noticed in the kernel.log

Jan 26 11:45:24 (none) kernel: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local: Permission denied
Jan 26 11:45:24 (none) kernel: rc.sysinit is complete

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
26-01-2007, 02:23 PM
The ip address set (192.168.1.84) isn't either of the two specified in the serial ppp XP config. Not sure where .84 is coming from.

This is a red herring, the .84 address is set for emergency use by TiVo if no other address is specified. Also the error messages after it are normal.

Note, however, that later in the log the correct address (.97 and .98) are there:
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 going up for IP packets!
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: local IP address 192.168.1.98
Jan 26 11:45:35 (none) kernel: remote IP address 192.168.1.97

You do not use DHCP, You have a fixed IP address. But it is being set quite late which appears to be the cause of your problems.

One other thing I noticed in the kernel.log

Jan 26 11:45:24 (none) kernel: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local: Permission denied
Jan 26 11:45:24 (none) kernel: rc.sysinit is complete

Ok, we are getting somewhere, this explains why the tivoweb log didn't show 2 attempts at starting up.

Try this:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local

Then reboot.

If it still didn't work, add a line 'sleep 500' to the start of your rc.sysinit.local file.

Hopefully that should be it.

Peter.

Phred
26-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Try this:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local

If it still didn't work, add a line 'sleep 500' to the start of your rc.sysinit.local file.
Peter.

Hi Peter,

The chmod fixed the permission denied. Even with the sleep still didn't work. So my rc.sysintit.local now looks like this:

#start TWP
echo "Local - start sleep"
sleep 50
echo "Local - stop sleep"

Note the sleep 50 - 500 was too long and wasn't getting to the second echo (stop sleep). Now kernel log looks like this:

Jan 26 16:36:22 (none) kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 going up for IP packets!
Jan 26 16:36:22 (none) kernel: local IP address 192.168.1.98
Jan 26 16:36:22 (none) kernel: remote IP address 192.168.1.97
Jan 26 16:36:25 (none) kernel: sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1]
Jan 26 16:36:25 (none) kernel: rcvd [CCP TermAck id=0x1]
Jan 26 16:36:25 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010007
Jan 26 16:36:25 (none) kernel: sent [CCP TermReq id=0x2"No compression negotiated"]
Jan 26 16:36:25 (none) kernel: rcvd [CCP TermAck id=0x2"No compression negotiated"]
Jan 26 16:36:32 (none) kernel: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x1 magic=0xffff4301]
Jan 26 16:36:32 (none) kernel: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x1 magic=0x58092cd9]
Jan 26 16:36:42 (none) kernel: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x2 magic=0xffff4301]
Jan 26 16:36:42 (none) kernel: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x2 magic=0x58092cd9]
Jan 26 16:36:44 (none) kernel: 01/26:16:36:44: /hack/bin/sendtivomesg.tcl: Creating IP Addresses Message...
Jan 26 16:36:44 (none) kernel: 01/26:16:36:44: /hack/bin/sendtivomesg.tcl: Calling event send 23 DATA_MESSAGES 0
Jan 26 16:36:52 (none) kernel: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x3 magic=0xffff4301]
Jan 26 16:36:52 (none) kernel: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x3 magic=0x58092cd9]
Jan 26 16:36:59 (none) kernel: Local - stop sleep
Jan 26 16:36:59 (none) kernel: rc.sysinit is complete
Jan 26 16:37:00 (none) kernel: Warning: The last few sessions did not complete successfully
Jan 26 16:37:00 (none) kernel: We may be in a reboot loop... aborting

You can see that the second echo is well after the serial ppp ips are assigned. Seeing the "Warning: The last few sessions did not complete - We may be in a reboot loop - aborting" I double checked that I did the :

correctly. And CrashCount was/is getting set to 0 and after the crash is 1. Is the "reboot loop" message to do with CrashCount or something else? Maybe I should try a bit longer sleep - maybe 100?

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
27-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Ok, now I suggest you stop the first try of loading TWP, leaving only the start from rc.sysinit.local. This should then avoid the crashcount issue.

[TiVo [p0] ~]# echo 0 > /hack/TivoWebPlus/.dist/CrashCount
[TiVo [p0] ~]# cd /etc
[TiVo [p0] /etc]# rw
File system is now READ/WRITE.
[TiVo [p0] /etc]# cp dflt_sysinit.conf sysinit.conf

Now edit the line in sysinit.conf which reads:
tivoweb_enable="YES" # Start TivoWeb or TivoWebPlus:

And replace the YES with NO
tivoweb_enable="NO" # Start TivoWeb or TivoWebPlus:

Save the file, then:

[TiVo [p0] /etc]# ro
File system is now READ ONLY.
[TiVo [p0] /etc]#

Cross your fingers and reboot.

Peter.

Phred
27-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Ok, now I suggest you stop the first try of loading TWP, leaving only the start from rc.sysinit.local. This should then avoid the crashcount issue.

Cross your fingers and reboot.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes! Seems like making the dflt_sysinit change is necessary. Thank you! I had sleep set at 50, so thought maybe I could get by without any sleep - nope. Turns out that sleep 4 doesn't work

tivoweb.log at sleep 4

PoolSize=2916352
while executing

where sleep 5 does work. My rc.sysinit.local now looks like this (7 just to give a bit of buffer):

echo "**Local rc.sysinit.local - start"
echo "**Local - begin sleep 7"
sleep 7
echo "**Local - end sleep 7"
#start TWP
echo "**Local - starting TWP"
echo "**Local rc.sysinit.local - end"

Sleep 4 kernel.log - doesn't work

Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: /dev/hdb: Device not configured
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel:
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: /dev/hda:
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: setting multcount to 16
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: multcount = 16 (on)
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: /dev/hdb: Device not configured
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: **Local rc.sysinit.local - start
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: **Local - begin sleep 4
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: No response to 2 echo-requests
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010003
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xasyncmap
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xmit asyncmap ffffffff
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010000
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set mru to 5dc
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv asyncmap 0
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Peer not responding"]
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2 "Peer not responding"]
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: Connection terminated.
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: invalid ioctl: 2000741f, addr 2
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: tcflush failed: Invalid argument
Jan 27 11:44:57 (none) kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 closing.
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: Initialize with 1 live caches
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: mediaswitch: resetting adjustments
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: **Local - end sleep 4
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: **Local - starting TWP
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: **Local rc.sysinit.local - end
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: rc.sysinit is complete
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: Microcode version 00034
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: osd buffer size = 1080000
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: Bus services started.
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: Couldn't restrict write permissions to /dev/ttyS3: Read-only file system
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to 10000
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to 10000
Jan 27 11:45:01 (none) kernel: Using interface ppp0

Sleep 5 kernel.log - does work

Jan 27 11:50:13 (none) kernel: /dev/hda:
Jan 27 11:50:13 (none) kernel: setting multcount to 16
Jan 27 11:50:13 (none) kernel: multcount = 16 (on)
Jan 27 11:50:13 (none) kernel: /dev/hdb: Device not configured
Jan 27 11:50:13 (none) kernel: **Local rc.sysinit.local - start
Jan 27 11:50:13 (none) kernel: **Local - begin sleep 5
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: No response to 2 echo-requests
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010003
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xasyncmap
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xmit asyncmap ffffffff
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to f010000
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set mru to 5dc
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv asyncmap 0
Jan 27 11:50:14 (none) kernel: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Peer not responding"]
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2 "Peer not responding"]
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: Connection terminated.
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: invalid ioctl: 2000741f, addr 2
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: tcflush failed: Invalid argument
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp: channel ppp0 closing.
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: Couldn't restrict write permissions to /dev/ttyS3: Read-only file system
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set flags to 10000
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: Using interface ppp0
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xasyncmap
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xmit asyncmap ffffffff
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set mru to 5dc
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv asyncmap ffffffff
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xfbbb> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jan 27 11:50:17 (none) kernel: **Local - end sleep 5
Jan 27 11:50:17 (none) kernel: **Local - starting TWP
Jan 27 11:50:17 (none) kernel: **Local rc.sysinit.local - end
Jan 27 11:50:17 (none) kernel: rc.sysinit is complete
Jan 27 11:50:19 (none) kernel: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xfbbb> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jan 27 11:50:22 (none) kernel: Initialize with 1 live caches
Jan 27 11:50:22 (none) kernel: mediaswitch: resetting adjustments
Jan 27 11:50:22 (none) kernel: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xfbbb> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jan 27 11:50:23 (none) kernel: Microcode version 00034
Jan 27 11:50:23 (none) kernel: osd buffer size = 1080000
Jan 27 11:50:23 (none) kernel: Bus services started.

Thanks Peter!

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
27-01-2007, 04:23 PM
finally.

I don't know why you needed to go through all this, others using pppondss don't have this problem.

At least its working now.

Peter

Phred
28-01-2007, 07:12 PM
finally.
I don't know why you needed to go through all this, others using pppondss don't have this problem.

At least its working now.

Peter

As I said,, guess I'm just special.. lol..

Somewhere in here:

Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: Using interface ppp0
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xasyncmap
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set xmit asyncmap ffffffff
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set mru to 5dc
Jan 27 11:50:16 (none) kernel: ppp_tty_ioctl: set rcv asyncmap ffffffff

makes the difference between working and not. I'm wondering if it's that the ppp0 interface isn't quite up yet at 4 seconds where it is at 5.. Why others using serial ppp aren't having problems I certainly can't answer.. other than as I said.. lol

Thanks again Peter for all you help.

Cheers,
Phred

petestrash
28-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm wondering if it's that the ppp0 interface isn't quite up yet at 4 seconds where it is at 5..

That is exactly what is causing it.

I don't know why yours appears to be slower.

What speed are you using for PPP and how long is your cable.

Peter.

Phred
29-01-2007, 07:30 AM
What speed are you using for PPP and how long is your cable.
Peter.

57600 as per the Installer when I selected ppp. About 6m or so. When ftp'ing I see full speed (all be it slow..) of 57.6K for file transfers so the connection is running at full speed.

Pherd

petestrash
29-01-2007, 02:02 PM
If it's only a 6m cable you could easily run it at 115200. We only dropped it to 57600 to allow for long cable runs.

If you feel like playing, change /etc/rc.d/rc.ppp on the TiVo and modem properties on the PC.

Peter.

Si-clone
04-08-2007, 01:04 PM
No, you're not special, or at least - we're both special :-)

I've just installed same release from installer CD and have the same problem.

petestrash
04-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Have you followed the suggestions in this thread and are you still having trouble?

Peter

kt_nz
25-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Sorry to drag this back to the top but hopefully this'll be useful for others..., but I'm also (currently) on PPP network and couldn't get TivoWeb working. Telnet is OK.

Following the instructions on this therad gets it working.

reset the crashcount
Copy /etc/dflt_sysinit.conf to sysinit.conf and set start Tivoweb to NO.
Create rc.sysinit.local in /etc/rc.d:
#start TWP
sleep 7

reset the permissions (chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.local)

Reboot... now TivoWeb works :D

petestrash
25-02-2008, 11:45 AM
The trouble is the OzTiVo installer has an old version of TWP which has the crashcount issue. This should be fixed by running update oztivo after the install.

Did you run update oztivo after the install? and was it sucessful?

Apart from clearing the crashcount, there should be no reason to move the TWP startup to rc.sysyinit.local. Everyone I know just has the default which works fine if using a newer TWP build.

Peter.

kt_nz
25-02-2008, 03:13 PM
yep did the update after install and TWP still didn't run. I had set crashcount to 0 several times and it didn't work, I believe it's the sleep that made it start to work... does TWP timeout if it doesn't get a link or an IP address?? Being PPP then the link is going to be slow coming up and then the DHCP supplied IP address also slow.

Have now installed an TurboNZet card, got rid of the rc.sysinit.local and reenabled TWP in sysinit.conf and TWP still works.

petestrash
25-02-2008, 03:43 PM
It is possible your PPP connection may have taken longer than most. It usually just works out of the box.

Either way, your in a new world now with the turbonet.

Peter.