PDA

View Full Version : Guide data - help

vmancini
19-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to resolve my previous post problem of channels missing/channels out of order by going through guided setup again.

I am running the latest image (if it hasn't changed in 2 weeks) and have successfully been able to download guide data previously.

I am getting the service unavailable msg but i can ping google and wget minnie.

I'm posting my tclient file since I've seen some posts requesting it.

I should also mention that the previous guide data downloads have been forced since I use my wireless laptop sharing the internet connection via ethernet to TiVo. This has worked the previous 3 times no worries, just this guided setup seem to have done something.

Any idea's? Thanks in advance,

Vito

petestrash
20-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I am getting the service unavailable msg but i can ping google and wget minnie.

I'm posting my tclient file since I've seen some posts requesting it.

Your tclient does show multiple failed attempts.

Were your ping and wget attempts from your laptop or TiVo.

Try the tests @ Configuration_and_Diagnostics (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingHowto#Configuration_and_Diagnostics)

Peter.

vmancini
20-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi Peter,

I just done the config/diagnostics from the TiVo and sad to say TiVo passed all the test, I've attached the output.

Any more idea's?

Btw my ISP is Optusnet, just incase there's a prob like i've read about other ISP's although I should be running emuproxyza.

Vito

vmancini
20-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm also uploading the output of the ps ax command if it's of any use.

Vito

petestrash
21-01-2007, 06:47 AM
The results of your tests are all good, but your tclient show the daily call is timing out.

Can you show us the results of:

cat /hack/etc/emuProxyZA.conf

Should have just these two parameters (apart from comments)

forceUpdate=0
raw=1

Peter.

vmancini
21-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Here's the file, it's listed exactly how you said it should be

Thanks for helping out Peter

Vito

petestrash
21-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Lets add some debug commands to emuProxyZa.

first make the conf file writeable.

chmod +w /var/hack/etc/emuProxyZA.conf

Then edit the file and add some extra lines so it looks like this

forceUpdate=0
raw=1
debug=2
debugPath=/var/log
saveRequests
saveResponses

Save the file, clear the tclient.log and kernel log, reboot, force a daily call, then post the new tclient and kernel logs.

Peter.

vmancini
22-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the reply Peter,

I think I'm going to have to start from scratch again, yesterday afternoon I decided to connect my TiVo directly to my ADSL modem/router and so doing this I also went to change the IP address from 192.168.2.90 to 192.168.1.90... Anyway, the telnet feature in OS X doesn't quite render the nic_config_tivo tool very well and I proceeded to delete and re-type the information where I thought it should be done. After doing this, I lost my TiVo. I've tried telnetting to 1.90 and 2.90 and other previous configurations also remembering to change the computers' IP address to suit and its still lost. I even tried using an IP address sniffer and it showed all the addresses on the network but TiVo's so it looks like I'm screwed. Also TiVo messages only show the old 2.90 address.

So unless there's another way to find out the IP address, I'll be re-imaging sometime later this week.

Thanks for your help Peter, I appreciate your time trying to help me.

Vito

Darren King
22-01-2007, 07:52 AM
So unless there's another way to find out the IP address, I'll be re-imaging sometime later this week

There is. Two in fact.

1. If you have the serial cable then boot the TiVo, run a terminal program on your Mac set to 9600baud 8N1 parity, and get a bash prompt that way. This is essentially like telnetting but without the need for a network connection.

2. Before you go to the extreme of re-imaging, run the install CD and change the networking options from there. You don't have to pick the option to reimage just because you are running the install CD.

petestrash
22-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Because Vito uses a MAC, for option 1 he would also need a USB-Serial convertor as MAC's dont have serial ports for the null modem cable to plug into.

Option 2 is fine, but obviously will need a PC to do it on.

The error you probably made was forgetting to change the broadcast address from 192.168.2.255 to 192.168.1.255 while you were changing the IP address to a different subnet.

Peter.

Darren King
22-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Because Vito uses a MAC, for option 1 he would also need a USB-Serial convertor as MAC's dont have serial ports for the null modem cable to plug into.

Ah yes I remember we touched on this before. It works from a PC, but not ever touched a Mac I can't say although I see no reason why not.

vmancini
23-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I just got back from a mates place and ran the TiVo boot CD and reset the IP address. Everything is back together again, I just had a quick question, how do I clear the tclient log? I'm not sure if this is it: echo > 0 /var/log/tclient ?

I've run through the guided setup again, and this time its worked so I guess the problems been fixed but I would like to check the debug from emuProxyZA just to make sure it wasn't a fluke that it worked.

Also, I have noticed that my channels are still out of order, any idea's on the next step?

Thanks guys,

Vito

vmancini
23-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I thought it was working... I was wrong. I tried to force a daily call, the system is hanging. The first time, the status got to 18% downloaded then froze for about an hour before reboot then the second time, its on status: Preparing data and its been like that for about an hour as well.

I have a feeling my TiVo doesn't like me.

Darren King
23-01-2007, 07:31 PM
You have a Turbonet (or clone) type card, yes? If so then try modifying the timing=3 setting in oztivo.conf (this is in the /etc directory)to timing=16 and reboot. It is known that some TiVo's and Turbonet based cards have an issue of locking up the system with a network cable plugged in and that altering the timing to 16 (failsafe) fixes it.

Peter: Before you say to simply use nic_config_tivo to alter the timing I need to verify something as I believe it is broken because I tried this last night on a TiVo and it would not shift from a timing=3. update: yes it is confirmed that at least trying to run nic_config_tivo on a set up TiVo does not alter the timing setting. Not tried yet from the CD installer.

vmancini
23-01-2007, 10:01 PM
I've just done what you both have said, the force daily call is working but it took just a little over 4 hours... should it take so long?

I worked out how to clear the logs then proceeded to force a new daily call, it took only a few minutes and it didn't seem to download any data. hope the logs can show something.

Peter, do you have any knowledge of the channel organisation? my channels are listed all over the place, refer to post http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1366

Thanks

Vito

petestrash
23-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Peter: Before you say to simply use nic_config_tivo to alter the timing I need to verify something as I believe it is broken because I tried this last night on a TiVo and it would not shift from a timing=3. update: yes it is confirmed that at least trying to run nic_config_tivo on a set up TiVo does not alter the timing setting. Not tried yet from the CD installer.

Before I go checking the code, can you confirm you are seeing this after running update_oztivo -y. There have been changes to nic_config_tivo since the iso was released.

Peter.

petestrash
23-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Peter, do you have any knowledge of the channel organisation? my channels are listed all over the place, refer to post http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1366

I'll deal with that in the original thread.

Peter.

petestrash
24-01-2007, 01:56 AM
I've just done what you both have said, the force daily call is working but it took just a little over 4 hours... should it take so long?

I worked out how to clear the logs then proceeded to force a new daily call, it took only a few minutes and it didn't seem to download any data. hope the logs can show something.

Because you now have a successful daily call, tclient is rotated. So to see why it took so long I would need to see otclient.log. This assumes you have not had another daily call since then.

Peter.

Darren King
24-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Before I go checking the code, can you confirm you are seeing this after running update_oztivo -y. There have been changes to nic_config_tivo since the iso was released.

Hi Peter. Not sure but I'll check tonight. It is a TiVo I am working on at present which I just got in that is suffering from lockup that I suspect is a Turbonet timing issue and I stumbled across the bug this way.

vmancini
24-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Ok, i've given update_oztivo -y a go, it took about 20 seconds and the output has been attached. Also, I've got a copy of Otclient attached... I couldn't find where the copy is stored on the TiVo so I saved the output from TivoWebPlus.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Vito

petestrash
24-01-2007, 01:17 PM
The update command seems to have worked.

otclient shows a call @ 22:53. but there was already a successful call before this time.

So what state is your machine in. Are there still any outstanding guide issues?

Peter.

PS most logs are in /var/log, their address is usually shown in TWP.