PDA

View Full Version : Automated image upgrade?

Tony
18-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Gidday all,

Is the following wiki process usable to upgrade from image 1.4 to the current NZ image, somehow?

http://www.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howto/UpgradeOzTiVoImage

I need to do this, but am afraid of whanau insurrection if I delete all the programmes!

Cheers all,

Tony

petestrash
18-01-2007, 11:00 PM
At the moment fresh installs of 1.6.2 work fine for NZ.

But if you use the upgrade script it will bring your TiVo to 1.6.2 for Australia. You will manually need to reset at least the NZ emulator IP, and possibly some other stuff.

I haven't heard of anyone who has done it.

Happy to help if you have trouble and fix any issues.

Peter.

Tony
20-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Pete, I'll see if I'm feeling brave when the time comes... can't hurt I suppose, if it doesn't work I can just reinstall from scratch then.

One other question though... can NZers safely use the scripts also mentioned on that page to keep their 1.6 installs updated?

On a more general point, would one of the developers mind giving a wee roadmap about the future of separate NZ images? Is the plan to maintain this permanently, or to build the NZ install options into an integrated NZ/Aussie image in future? Or is 1.6.2 already integrated this way?

Cheers,

Tony

petestrash
20-01-2007, 03:22 PM
One other question though... can NZers safely use the scripts also mentioned on that page to keep their 1.6 installs updated?

Yes and no, if you use the OzTiVo rsync repository you will need to add some files like oztivo.conf and palmod.o (possibly some others) to update_exclude so NZ setting do not get overwitten. The downside is if any of these files are updated you won't get the update.

On a more general point, would one of the developers mind giving a wee roadmap about the future of separate NZ images? Is the plan to maintain this permanently, or to build the NZ install options into an integrated NZ/Aussie image in future? Or is 1.6.2 already integrated this way?

I can't speak from NZ developers POV, but I am happy to have NZ specific code added to update_oztivo and upgrade_oztivo. Though it might be easier to have a separate rsync repository on orac.

Peter.

DJC
21-01-2007, 07:05 PM

At this point work is contining with the separate images, but only up to a point. The roadmap is tentatively as follows:-

Firstly, we are completing the thomson rc2 image next, there are only minor tweaks left, this should be the final thomson UK image tailored for NZ operation.

Following this we will release a minor (maintenance) update for both sony and philips US models.

This will likely be the final set of images in the NZ series. To be fair the images are quite stable and are well setup for the NZ emu environment.

The next priorities are not image related and will probably kick off with looking to migrate NZ to a single emulator setup. We currently run two systems in NZ, one for the old legacy headends and the more sophisticated current emulator setup.

After this is sorted, focus may come back to the images, and at that point we'll talk to Peter and the oz crew about how we might be able to use the same image, perhaps using a customised rsync repository to update for NZ specifics, who knows.

By this time, the impending digital TV configurations in NZ should be more clear so we can incorporate those new developments into the new image structure (updatable postcodes as new ones are rolled out).

In the meantime, we think the existing images are sufficient for the NZ configs. Most of the ongoing changes in NZ are handled at emulator level at present. The NZ image series use Thomson's TWP bundle by default so this component can be updated from the bundles on his web pages easily.

TimesOwn
24-01-2007, 06:08 AM
the impending digital TV configurations in NZ should be more clear so we can incorporate those new developments into the new image structure (updatable postcodes as new ones are rolled out).

Hi DJC

Are you suggesting the TiVo will be able to receive NZ Digital when it arrives? My expectation is that it would not be able to.

I understand the new digital signals do not need decoding like PAL does. Perhaps there could be a hack to tune and present these?

Perhaps you are referring to the presumably required Digital Set Top Boxes and necessary IR and channel codes?

DJC
24-01-2007, 09:36 AM
STB + IR Codes for DVB-S/-T reception I'd expect.

petestrash
24-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Are you suggesting the TiVo will be able to receive NZ Digital when it arrives? My expectation is that it would not be able to.

Your expectation is correct.

I understand the new digital signals do not need decoding like PAL does. Perhaps there could be a hack to tune and present these

Based on Australian experience this is highly unlikely, and if were possible the hardware modifications would be far more expensive then buying a mass produced STB. These have come down to start around A$30-40 here ATM.

Peter.

slipmat
10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm blowing away and installing a new image this weekend, is there any advantage installing the latest oztivo 1.6 image instead of the NZ customized 1.5 image?

Matt

petestrash
10-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure what is similar/different in the current NZ release other than both now use Thomsons TWP as standard.

For some details of what is included in the Oz image check here. (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/UserManual16)

Peter