PDA

View Full Version : Networking question & TiVoZ

Vienna76
15-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

I've been hovering around for a little while reading a lot about TiVo trying to decide whether I should take the plunge. I've been told by Foxtel that my building is not suitable for Foxtel iQ, so I went searching for an alternative and so here I am!

Firstly, my main concern is that if iQ is unavailable here, can I be sure that the TiVo is going to work. I'm in a large block of units in Sydney, receiving Foxtel Digital via Satellite. I'm assuming that the reason I can't get iQ is because it's Satellite not Cable. So will that affect my TiVo experience?

Secondly, although I have some computer savvy, I'm finding some of the HowTo Guides here a tad confusing, especially the Networking one. I understand that the TiVo needs to be connected to the internet to receive the EPG, but does it need to be connected 24/7 or can you simply connect it up when you want to get the latest EPG info. I have a wireless internet connection with Unwired, so is it possible for me to simply take the ethernet cable (coming from the wireless modem) out of the back of my PC and plug it into the TiVo while it dowloads the EPG. If not, how do I connect the TiVo to my PC? And since I don't keep my PC on all day, will the lack of a constant internet connection affect the TiVo?

Lastly, I wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about TiVoZ. I found their website, offering TiVos for sale, with the option of having them install the hard disk and set up the hard disk image (after I download it from OzTivo and send it to them). Although I kind of understand what to do, I guess I'd feel more comfortable to have someone who really knows what they're doing to set it up properly. So is TiVoZ legit?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! If I can get my head around all of this, hopefully, I'll be enjoying TiVo soon!

Thanks very much,
Matt

petestrash
15-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi all,

I've been hovering around for a little while reading a lot about TiVo trying to decide whether I should take the plunge. I've been told by Foxtel that my building is not suitable for Foxtel iQ, so I went searching for an alternative and so here I am!

Welcome.

Firstly, my main concern is that if iQ is unavailable here, can I be sure that the TiVo is going to work. I'm in a large block of units in Sydney, receiving Foxtel Digital via Satellite. I'm assuming that the reason I can't get iQ is because it's Satellite not Cable. So will that affect my TiVo experience?

I don't believe there is any issue with IQ using satellite, most probably the reason is the way your building distrubuted it.

It will not effect the TiVo either way, as it just controls your existing cable box which we assume works fine.

Secondly, although I have some computer savvy, I'm finding some of the HowTo Guides here a tad confusing, especially the Networking one. I understand that the TiVo needs to be connected to the internet to receive the EPG, but does it need to be connected 24/7 or can you simply connect it up when you want to get the latest EPG info. I have a wireless internet connection with Unwired, so is it possible for me to simply take the ethernet cable (coming from the wireless modem) out of the back of my PC and plug it into the TiVo while it dowloads the EPG. If not, how do I connect the TiVo to my PC? And since I don't keep my PC on all day, will the lack of a constant internet connection affect the TiVo?

The TiVo doesn't need to be connected 24/7, making contact once a week is usually enough. But you will not get any changes that may be made to the schedules in the interim.

The only issue with setting up the way you describe is that to force a call to get the EPG data your TiVo needs to be connected to a computer, and have access to the internet at the same time. Your suggestion will only have the TiVo connected to the internet, but not the computer.

There are a few ways around this, one would be to set a fixed time each week to make a call and you could manually connect just before this time.

Lastly, I wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about TiVoZ. I found their website, offering TiVos for sale, with the option of having them install the hard disk and set up the hard disk image (after I download it from OzTivo and send it to them). Although I kind of understand what to do, I guess I'd feel more comfortable to have someone who really knows what they're doing to set it up properly. So is TiVoZ legit?

I have never heard of TiVoZ and they have not approached or supported our group.

Also note the link they give to the oztivo software is 9 months out of date. We have much newer software since then.

I suggest you visit www.oztivo.net.

But A$480 is a lot to pay for a standard TiVo with an old original hard drive.

There is one currently for sale on this forum which is only up to $200 at the moment (but as it has a big harddrive and network card needs more than that). One also just sold on Australian eBay (#130066444529) with a larger hard drive than the tivoz units for only $203.50.

Also I bought one for a friend from US eBay last week for US$30 + US$80 express shipping (less than a week).

Peter.

Vienna76
16-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks very much, Peter. I really appreciate that.

Looks like I should look around for a better price and brave the setup process myself... :-)

Thanks again,
Matt