PDA

View Full Version : New Hard Drive

jackal
09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi Fella's

Got two questions for you.
Im running a phillips series 1 tivo on 1.6 with a western digital 120gb drive.
Im thinking of adding a second drive being a 400gb samsung HD400LD.
Will this configuration work???

The second question my local supplier of tivo's and parts has shutdown and im wondering where i can get hold of a second hard drive bracket.

Thanks for your time

Jackal

Darren King
09-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Im running a phillips series 1 tivo on 1.6 with a western digital 120gb drive. Im thinking of adding a second drive being a 400gb samsung HD400LD. Will this configuration work???

It will, but you don't really want to add a new hard disk to an existing old hard disk as you don't know how long the old one will last before it fails. And when it does fail you will lose all data as you cannot split hard disks and keep the data once they are married together.

The second question my local supplier of tivo's and parts has shutdown and im wondering where i can get hold of a second hard drive bracket.

I've got a few laying around somewhere. Feel free to contact me off list.

jackal
09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi Darren

The 120gb drive isnt that old, i think its only about six months old.
Do you still recommend that i use the 400gb drive by itself.

Also is it better that i use just the one drive as i did the cooling mod you recommended by adding a 12v pc fan inline with the hard drive.

Thanks for your help

Luke

Darren King
10-01-2007, 01:10 AM
The 120gb drive isnt that old, i think its only about six months old.
Do you still recommend that i use the 400gb drive by itself.

It's your call then. Just letting you know the potential risks of adding new to old. Hey for that matter the new one may go belly up in a week due to a manufacture defect (yes I have seen this happen, even less than a week!) so who is to say the 120GB is the first to go :)

Also is it better that i use just the one drive as i did the cooling mod you recommended by adding a 12v pc fan inline with the hard drive.

If you are asking from a mounting issue, then if both drives fit then no problem. If you are asking from a power supply quota issue then I doubt the extra 100mA or so that the fan loads the power supply is going to alter any performance..... Although if you are running 2x hard disks plus a cachecard with 512MB of RAM then the power supply is getting a bit over taxed - with or without the extra fan :eek: