PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer files FROM the TiVo with Telnet

Doitsujin
01-12-2006, 05:04 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but I haven't found an answer yet. I have no problems copying files to the TiVo using a serial telnet connection with Hyperterminal (I don't have a Turbonet card). What I cannot figure out is how to copy files from the TiVo to the PC. Most Howtos recommend using ftp, but as far as I know, I cannot use ftp with a serial connection.
What command(s) do I have to use?

petestrash
01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
It depends on your serial connection. If you are using pppondss for guide data, then you can use a regular FTP program to take data out of the TIvo.

Peter.

Doitsujin
01-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I use the TiVo without guide data and haven't set up PPP yet. I modified some .tcl files in /var/bin/hack and would like to copy them to my PC. I can use HyperTerminal's Send File menu option but when I select Receive File it Hyper Terminal seems to wait for the TiVo to initiate the file transfer, however, I don't know what Linux command is usually used to initiate a file transfer.

thomson
01-12-2006, 01:27 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but I haven't found an answer yet. I have no problems copying files to the TiVo using a serial telnet connection with Hyperterminal (I don't have a Turbonet card). What I cannot figure out is how to copy files from the TiVo to the PC. Most Howtos recommend using ftp, but as far as I know, I cannot use ftp with a serial connection.
What command(s) do I have to use?

You can used the Z-Modem serial protocol. Have a look at this page (http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivohelp.swiki.net/37.html) for a little more information.

Doitsujin
01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks Thompson, using sz did the trick. (I thought I'd have to use some kind of special Linux tool.)