PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 TiVo's and Image 1.6

pjpete
29-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Just a basic question I guess. I notice that PetesTrash has a series 2 unit, so I am assuming that these are compatible with the OzTivo image v1.6 ?

Any recommendations on where to purchase one, or even should I bother to ? Just that the TiVo, whilst one of the best things I may have purchased, just doesn't cut it on a Plasma screen.

Is there another way to get better quality perhaps? Upgrade tuner in Series 1, or anything else possible?

Cheers
Pete

Darren King
29-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Just a basic question I guess. I notice that PetesTrash has a series 2 unit, so I am assuming that these are compatible with the OzTivo image v1.6 ?

No. It is a "sort of" hacked Series 2 operating system. The OzTiVo images do not work on Series 2 at all. Totally different hardware.

Any recommendations on where to purchase one, or even should I bother to ? Just that the TiVo, whilst one of the best things I may have purchased, just doesn't cut it on a Plasma screen.

The Series 2 that has been made to "sort of" work here is not HD, it is only SD like the Series 1. I'm assuming you have at least tried reconfiguring palmod to run in 720 resolution but still not happy? If you really want a Series 2 then there are those that can be had on USA ebay.

Is there another way to get better quality perhaps? Upgrade tuner in Series 1, or anything else possible?

There is no such thing as an "upgrade tuner" for the Series 1 to attain a higher resolution. Maybe a digital STB will give you a slightly better picture, but just be aware that the TiVo will downgrade this with it's own MPEG encoding/decoding anyway.

pjpete
29-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Many thanks Darren, perfect answers to what I was concerned about. Have just ordered a HD Set Top box recently, then wondered afterwards if it was maybe a better option to try the TiVo upgrade. No haven't tried the palmod reconfigure as yet, (but now I ashamedly admit I never bothered to check, It shall be the next thing I do )

Overall, still extremely happy with the TiVo, and my Foxtel has never been more worth it since the purchase.

pjpete
29-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Ok before I break everything, Have followed the directions in the Palmod User Guide and still I get bash: /sbin/palmod_config: Permission denied after running palmod_config. What on earth am I doing wrong here (or did I not read properly again)

*IGNORE THIS*
Found the problem, have to mark the script executable first, duh !

petestrash
30-11-2006, 02:44 AM
In case anyone finds this thread when searching for S2's.

The Version of software I run is v4.01b, one of the last versions before tighter controls came in requiring a valid TiVo Subscription.

As Darren has said no OzTiVo software is compatible with any model S2's or later. Mainly because they use a MIPs processor, not PowerPC like the S1's. In simple terms it's like mac software not working on PC's (though this line has blurred recently).

I only use the S2 as a backup unit for shows that are important and don't want to miss a showing.

It is purely experimental and not recommended for regular use.

Peter.